Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Someone on another board compiled a list of scripture proofs for each point of TULIP. I thought ye might like it.

SoccerAaron

Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

SoccerAaron

Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

SoccerAaron

Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0

SoccerAaron

Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today at 06:47 PM Terri said this in Post #10

What does limited atonement mean?

I'm sure it doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

It's the belief that Christ's death was limited in purpose, not in value.  "Limited Atonement" is the belief that Christ's death was efficacious in bringing about the salvation of God's elect but was not intended to accomplish, nor did it accomplish, the salvation of all men.

God bless

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks Don--it's perfectly clear now. 

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What does limited atonement mean?

I'm sure it doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

it means what it says -- that Christ's work was limited in scope. It is the belief that Christ died only for the sins of those who would be saved. IOW, He didnt carry everyone's sins when He hung on the cross; He didnt shed His blood for all men, only the elect, who wld be saved.

I certainly dont see how this doctrine glorifies Christ and his finished work.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoccerAaron

Soccer Fairy
Feb 8, 2003
Ohio
✟8,076.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Out of curiosity - what do Calvanists believe about witnessing?

I believe in predestination - God predestined the elect, chose thembefore the foundation of the world, etc - but at the same time, we are told to witness - and at the same time, I dont' believe it ever says anywhere that God predestined anyone to hell.

I'm wondering, in your own words, what a calvanist believes about that

And just one little verse - John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosever should believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

/me isn't sure how that fits in with limited atonement

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thinks Don, I've added it to my favorites so I can study it as time permits.

Sorry Aaron, I didn't see it in your sig--you need to brighten it up a bit--make it more noticable.  Of course I know not everyone is a flashy as I am.

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Paul (or should I call you Mr. Wog)

I asked my husband this same question last night.  He said Calvinist are, contrary to what it might appear, some of the best evangelizers around.  I guess they just love to share in God's plan.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday at 11:25 PM paulewog said this in Post #17

Out of curiosity - what do Calvanists believe about witnessing?

Well, witnessing (I take it you mean spreading the word in an evangelistic fashion) is a very godly thing to do.  We were commanded to do so in fact.  The reformed view of witnessing is more of an understanding that to share the faith and Word of God is more of an issue of bringing the regenerate to a greater understanding in their Lord and Savior.  We do not believe that anyone is saved by our words or "comes to faith" because we follow the "Roman's road to redemption."  Witnessing, first and foremost, is living a life that shows our faith in God's Word and as God brings people into our lives we share with them how He has changed us and, if the opportunity is there, we share some of the Gospel with them and invite them to start learning about God and His Work through His Son. 

and at the same time, I dont' believe it ever says anywhere that God predestined anyone to hell.

Consider it this way.  Due to the Fall all mankind is destined to hell, right.  If nothing changes that then that is where they'll go.  God, by His sovereign choice, changes that fate for those He has decided to bring to salvation through the blood of His Son.  Those that He does not change just continue on their original path.  He does not work evil into their lives to keep them from coming to the truth (this is often referred to as "hyper-Calvinism" or "double-predestination").  They [the unregenerate] simply just follow their natural path of rebellion and after "a season" they go to their earned place, hell. 

And just one little verse - John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosever should believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

paulewog isn't sure how that fits in with limited atonement

Maybe this will help:

Strong's Entry 2889

When you read this pay special attention to "Outline of Biblical Usage" #8b:  of believers only, John 1,29; 3:16; 3:17; 6:33; 12:47; 1 Cor 4:9; 2 Cor 5:19

So, According to Strongs Concordance the accepted use of the word "kosmos" in verses 3:16,17 means this:

John 3:16,17
For God so loved believers only that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

God does not love all people.  There are specific passages, not to mention the total illogic of believing that God loves the people in hell who go there because they're His enemy, that speak specifically of God HATING certain people.

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.