Not open for further replies.

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I can see your point. Still, it would make a lot of cafetaria catholics feel less worthless. Just a bit less, mind. Not too much. They would probably still feel pretty worthless, and they should.

I'd make an infallible statement that animals go to heaven. I had an argument with my priest about this once.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd do away with sin. Period.

But then we couldn't go to hell - and it would seem like God loved us...that would be interesting.

I think I would be a much more holy, good person if I didn't feel like God had a gun to my head demanding obedience.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I go with everything Fish and Bread said, here, except I'd mandate the rule that the extraordinary minister always be an acolyte, who can be married at anytime, but nevetheless be ordained into the minor order of acolyte, and I'd mandate that the mass of the entire Latin-Rite be a Vernacular Tridentine Mass. The English Tridentine Mass would be a similar to the "Knott Missal" published by the Anglican Heretics.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I noticed the conversation earlier about doing away with hell and sin. I sympathize in theory -- heck, I am not a practicing Catholic in part because of hell and other issues with God. However, I wouldn't change these things as Pope, because I think doing so would undermine the faith. If at this point a Pope arbitrarily "got rid of hell" in a dogmatic way, it would instantly simply say that, in a tangible sense, the Roman Catholic Church is invalid, and possibly even all of Christianity, because of the severe contradiction in would pose to the scriptures, tradition, and Jesus himself. I think we might say something similar about sin. The whole religion would go up in a puff of smoke, from a logical perspective, were these changes made.

I'd feel an obligation as Pope to preserve the faith and protect tradition, while bringing souls to Christ. If a Pope doesn't want to do that, he shouldn't be Pope, in my view. There are a lot of other religious bodies one can apply to be the head of!

A lot of these suggestions sound more like "If I were God...", which is a whole different topic. Were I God, I'd change a ton of things, starting with finding myself a wife. But as Pope, my job would be to serve God as he is thought to exist in the Roman Catholic faith, not myself or my own version of God.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2007
Visit site
✟15,121.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CayoteWild- the question was concerning if you were made pope, not an anti-pope :>

I would do nothing that the Pope is not already doing, as he is doing is best as a disciple of christ- but much of the world is pitted against him. Let us pray that the Holy Spirit be sent forth each day by our Lord Jesus to lead him in every way.

Peace,
DiscipleOfChrist, Mark

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You're right.

We should start an 'if I were God' thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NiteClerk

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
there
✟49,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be against priests getting married...
BUT after reading alot of history, I am under the impression that having them married now makes sense.
A timely article from the Chicago Tribune at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/offtopic/ny-bc-ny-odd--churchasasset1116nov16,1,4728047.story
NYC pastor's wife sees church as asset in their divorce .... But a pastor's estranged wife says he has blended the two so thoroughly that his church should be counted as an asset in their divorce.
On the practical side there is the problem of Catholic parishes paying for the support of a family. Would single Priest be allowed to date within their parish? Plus the alimony and child support in case of a divorce. Also which divorce lawyer would the Church pay for? The priest or the wife? I think allowing Priest to marry is just too Protestant.
I think celibracy depends on the necessity of the times... and i think with recent problems it could go back to married priests.
I don't believe that the problem of child abuse was due to celibracy. It's more from homosexuals joining the Church to have access to the children. Now that they are being exposed and forced out look for an upswing in the (U.S.) public school system, which still treats abuse like the Catholics were 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's more from homosexuals joining the Church to have access to the children.

I think it was more from the Priesthood looking like a noble way to live one's life without society wondering aloud if you're gay or not. Before homosexuality was as accepted as it is today, you kind of had to be "out" and deal with society's scorn, or be single and deal with constant questioning and suspicions from people, or you could become a Priest and have people admire you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.