Is Hugging a Sin? What Does the Bible Say?

AdoptedPrince

Mar 16, 2019
Indiana
✟17,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Does hugging stir up sexual desire? Am I causing my brothers in Christ to sin?
I have pure intentions when I hug, but I am worried that my hugging might be interpreted as something more than friendly.

First, different cultures are, well, different. I can only answer from my culture (i.e. USA American).

Is there any evidence that your hugs are causing men to lust after you? Has their behavior toward you changed such that they seem to be sending out sexual signals to see if you respond? If not, I think you're concern, while admirable, may be unnecessary.

Years ago, some married women in a church I was attending raised a fuss because single women hugged single men. My sincere opinion as one of the single guys was that they were busybodies and the hugs were harmless. Even as a healthy, red-blooded young man, I never for a moment felt any sexual component to the hugs.

Years later, a married man hugged my ex-wife and it was not a harmless hug. It was obvious to me and I could tell by the look on her face and his wife's face that it was obvious to them. I saw a similar hug recently when some old codger at church was hugging a shapely visitor to the church. It was a long, unnecessary hug and she looked very uncomfortable as it stretched on.

So, the answer is "It depends." You can't be held responsible for stirring up desire in a man by accident. Just standing there being a woman can stir up lust in one man, while hugging another man as hard as you can for a full minute won't stir up lust in that guy. It just depends on the man.

Are hand-shaking and eye contact the same?

If they last for an unusually long time, they might send a signal of interest. But even that isn't the same as "stirring up sexual desire."

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Man, some of the questions people bring up here.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0