Nottingham
✟8,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Conservative
i'm having trouble with the worship in my youth. it doesn't seem to be going anywhere spiritually and we only seem to be doing the minimal amount of worship nowadays. I want the youth to enjoy worship again. there's some of us that truly want to worship, but then you get some of the people who just mess about and spoil it for the rest of us.

HoT-MetaL

Yahweh Warrior
Nov 29, 2003
Kent
Visit site
✟18,614.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Conservative
Frazer, I put so much effort into my youth group, as much as the other leaders. Each one of our hearts desires is to see the youth worship God in spirit and in truth. We all put in x amount of hours a week: 95% grit, and 5% glory. If I have to die for 5% glory, I will, just to see the youth lift their hands in worship.

We havent seen a breakthrough in worship yet, we're just trusting God. Most of the churched kids do not join in praise and worship either.

When we get the breakthrough, we'll baptise them. Until then, its just a faith walk: We cant make them worship God! Its their choice.

As for your situation, maybe take them away for a weekend (this is the closest we've had to a breakthrough), and just teach them on worship: maybe start at the basics, why jesus died, how horific his death was, and thats why we should worship him.

Also, read Matt Redmans story behind the song "Heart of Worship." Its awesome, someone mentioned on here, I researched it, and I was glad that I had. Heres the link. http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/worship_center/1253122.html

God Bless, metal.

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Frazer! Unfortunately you will need to wait until the penny drops with them but be encouraged we all face this battle!!!

Our youth ministry endured this for about 18 months... the thing is just keep at it! Don't give in. We didn't, we just hung in there and kept on leading week after week. The key is prayer... keep on praying that God will stir them in what they do. It took us some time but we now have a tiny little youth group hungry after the presence of God and seeking after Him in worship! Glory to GOd.. but how? Read on...

One thing we did was like hotmetal suggested. Our worship leader is a woman who just adores the lord and worship and she spoke a couple of times on worship. We as a band also encouraged the guys to sing and raise their hands, and explained the significance of it. This in conjunction with fervent prayer helped us overcome this and we began to see one hand, then two, then three, then four... and before we knew it we were faced with a fellowship that were HUNGRY to worship. That's right folks, God can use anyone. And we've got a lot of room to grow but I tell you it's not impossible and I am no longer discouraged if we're "falling short" because I know that God will help us overcome, he did it before, He'll do it again!

One thing I must stress is to not overemphasis the physical "signs". It's easy to get discouraged when people aren't responding the way we'd like them to - believe me I did! It hurts all the more when you're the worship leader! But I soon learnt that people were responding, just not in an obvious way. You can't be sure of what God's doing in their heart - even if you think they are mucking around and whatever, God's still at work. You don't know if they might go home and remember the words to a song and really live that out in prayer or whatever. Frazer hang in there brother, you are a might young man of God, don't lose your passion! God's richest for you bro!

Upvote 0

FrAzEr1803

† Ŧһε Ēłΐјαһ Ġεηεгαŧΐоη †
Jan 1, 2004
Nottingham
✟8,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Conservative
thankyou so much for your advice and prayers. it dous become discouraging sometimes but i thankyou for reminding me to just trust in God. We also have quite a lot of younger people in our youth now so that doesn't help because they are too young to understand the significance of worship to God. Please keep praying for me because this is really important to me and i know that God wants to work in the lives of these youths too. thanks again

Upvote 0

jesusphreak43

Ché amore grande
May 14, 2004
Mississippi
Visit site
✟15,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Our youth was like that for a while, and some youth group members still just do not care. When our youth director came he would play praise and worship songs on his guitar and we would all sing along and it is some of the most awesome times I have ever been through.:clap: Unfortunately, Sunday, May 16, is his last sunday here, due to a call to the Preaching ministry. :cry: He is going to go to seminary then become a preacher.

Upvote 0

Libby1

Spiritual Warfare
Apr 27, 2004
Ontario, Canada
✟2,106.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Our Youth worship leader (one of the teens) became ill and had to back off of worship. I, after only being the worship leader for our church for a short period of time had a temporary 'painic' attack!

First and foremost I prayed and told the Lord that it is His church and that I know He has a plan even though I could not see it at the time. I 'praised' Him (praise Him in ALL circumstances). My answer came almost the same day as follows....
I was speaking to another teen who is only 15 but she plays ALL types of music on the Grand Piano at the church and lets the Lord flow through her. Instead of just 'playing' the music.....she 'becomes' the music.....she plays and sings. She is a 'willing vessel' for the Lord and loves him with her whole heart and soul. In conversation I explained that her friend had had to step down and asked her if she knew someone who could lead the youth worship and I near fainted................She said I WOULD LOVE TO DO IT!!!!! I incredulously inquired she would not mind playing AND singing leading worship? She said she is quite comfortable playing and singing. She said she would only be nervous if someone else was playing thus making her "stand" in front of the pulpit. GOD IS AWESOME!!!!! The youth AND the congregation raise their hands and worship! She plays ALL forms of music including classical. You hand this young lady a sheet of music she has never played and it is "INSTANT"!

The point of this is be encouraged. We have an extremely small youth group and it has taken a long long time. They are now "on fire" and you can tell!

Another point to this is that I lead worship and really love it. It is my passion in the Lord. However, I am a CLOSET piano player and become the music for the Lord IN THE CLOSET. I have a dreadful FEAR of playing in front of people! Also, I CANT play AND sing at the same time. For this young lady it is totally NATURAL. God has an awesome ministry planned for her!

Prayer is the key.

Libby!

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
GallowSong said:
This may seem sorta trivial but...what kind of music do you all use in your worship?
~Gallows
Hey Gallows!

Being Sydneysiders there is naturally gonna be a load of Hillsong stuff in our church, and there is a fair bit. But in youth, I have actually steered a bit away from Hillsong stuff (still use their songs but not as much as the main church) and use a mix of Delerious, Third Day, Passion, Matt Redman, Michael W Smith, as well as some of the slightly older songs with new arrangements like More Precious Than Silver, There Is None Like You, I Worship You Almighty God and Lord I Lift Your Name On High. We also write our own songs and have used two or three, to good effect too. One in particular is now on the list at church, and uses a line "living worship" which is where I got the username from :)

Upvote 0

FrAzEr1803

Jan 1, 2004
Nottingham
✟8,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Conservative
thanks for all of your help guys and gals. i will take your advice onboard and next time i leads worship in the youth (this Friday actually) i will remember what you have all said.

I would also like to take the opportunity to ask something without seeming rude.
If any of you have written songs for your youth or with your youth and wouldn't mind sharing them, would it be possible for you to send me some tapes and the guitar chords/tabs for them? But only if you feel comfortable in letting me use them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrAzEr1803

Jan 1, 2004
Nottingham
✟8,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Conservative
we just use some of the well known worship songs in the "Songs of Fellowship" books: Lord i lift your name on high, open the eyes of my heart, what to say lord (everyday), here i am waiting (eagle's wings). You know the usual ones that you'd mainly use in the church.

Upvote 0

ianridpath

Philippians Ch1: 4-6
Jun 6, 2004
Withernsea
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Count yourself lucky!

However much i crave for NEW worship in our church, we are still using 'Mission Praise' And what we call 'The Blue Book' DULL DULL DULL!!!

Then when the few times we play the 'New Worship Stuff' its outstanding, people love it! Its just the fear of the unknown, they dont seem to want to get rid of old stuff and bring in the new however much they like it! (Well when i say THEY, i actually mean, a select few people!)

And its not like our Equipment isnt ready for it, we have the Newest and most upto date yamaha weighted keyboard/piano, a Brand New Ibanez lead guitar (and a really really good guitarist) An outstanding bassist!! And a REALLY new 7 PIECE Drum Kit!! And a Complete Music P.A fit for the Royal Albert Hall!!

Just thought i would share my thoughts!
And yes before you say....i know..."prayer is the key!"
Its not like i havent been either, i do!!! And i know others do too! Only time, and most importantly God will tell i guess!

Upvote 0

Irocc

Nov 18, 2003
Nairobi, Kenya
Visit site
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
hotmetal said:
Frazer, I put so much effort into my youth group, as much as the other leaders. Each one of our hearts desires is to see the youth worship God in spirit and in truth. We all put in x amount of hours a week: 95% grit, and 5% glory. If I have to die for 5% glory, I will, just to see the youth lift their hands in worship.

We havent seen a breakthrough in worship yet, we're just trusting God. Most of the churched kids do not join in praise and worship either.

When we get the breakthrough, we'll baptise them. Until then, its just a faith walk: We cant make them worship God! Its their choice.

As for your situation, maybe take them away for a weekend (this is the closest we've had to a breakthrough), and just teach them on worship: maybe start at the basics, why jesus died, how horific his death was, and thats why we should worship him.

Also, read Matt Redmans story behind the song "Heart of Worship." Its awesome, someone mentioned on here, I researched it, and I was glad that I had. Heres the link.
God Bless, metal.
The one thing I have learned about worship is that, as a worshipper, you ought to be very close to the Holy Spirit, that you should worship as He guides, coz the Bible says that there's no one who knows God more than His Spirit. I believe that as worshipers, we ought to totally bank on the Holy Spirit coz He's the one who knows how God desires to be worshipped.
The Bible also says that the Holy Spirit will lead us to all truth, Then He's the one who can lead us to true worship.
Let God be a part of your worship thru' His Holy Spirit.
Hope I helped ;)
Blessings:wave:

Upvote 0

Irocc

Nov 18, 2003
Nairobi, Kenya
Visit site
✟7,683.00
Faith
Christian
ianridpath said:
Count yourself lucky!

However much i crave for NEW worship in our church, we are still using 'Mission Praise' And what we call 'The Blue Book' DULL DULL DULL!!!

Then when the few times we play the 'New Worship Stuff' its outstanding, people love it! Its just the fear of the unknown, they dont seem to want to get rid of old stuff and bring in the new however much they like it! (Well when i say THEY, i actually mean, a select few people!)

And its not like our Equipment isnt ready for it, we have the Newest and most upto date yamaha weighted keyboard/piano, a Brand New Ibanez lead guitar (and a really really good guitarist) An outstanding bassist!! And a REALLY new 7 PIECE Drum Kit!! And a Complete Music P.A fit for the Royal Albert Hall!!
I can also say that we have the same situation in our church, but ours is kinda different. I live in Kenya and the ppl have gotten used to singing worship in their mother-tongue; it's good, but we'd also want to introduce worship songs by Michael W.Smith and hillsongs too, but it's kinda hard.
I think the way to bring about this transition would be prayer. That as you pray for yourselves (ourselves) as the Praise and Worship team, you make sure you pray for your congregation too.
Most of these things are spiritual. It's getting used to a certain way of doing things, norm and may be, sticking to a programme. These are thgs that should be broken by prayer :pray: .

Upvote 0
R

rachelg2004

In my youth group I find it so hard as one of the band members to please everyone because some like the worship music and others like the loud rock the house stuff. Personally I prefer the worship but other members of the band want to rock out with heavy fuzz and loud bass. It's so frusterating at times. That's where prayer comes in. Good luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dacephas

Jun 24, 2004
✟113.00
Faith
Christian
hey, I just wanted to encourage you and say praise God for your commitment and passion for leading youth into intimate times of worship in the Lord. One thing I've recently been learning as a worship leader is that the best worship leaders are not "cheer leaders." Basically meaning theyre not the ones who are good at motivating or pushing people, but rather I realize that the best worship leaders are actually those that are theologically strong, those who know who God is. The reason for this is because worship is really a response to revelation of God. We worship out of a response in our hearts to the knowledge of his glory, his holiness, his love, his power. Therefore, the key to being a good worship leader is being able to share with your youth who God is, that they may be able to experience him intamatly; and ultimatly this will cause pure worship to flow out of them. Anyways, that was just my 2 cents. blessings bro

Upvote 0

Grolin

Jan 10, 2004
Austin, TX
✟384.00
Faith
Christian
Honesty and openness, yo. I could care less what songs are sung and how well they're played if the "worship leader" isn't honest and open. And I would not be "doing my job" if all I was doing was catering to musical tastes or just trying to play the part of some super-Christian worship leader dude.
That's not me. I am just another worshipper who struggles as much, if not more than any other person.

That has been the scariest thing for me as a "worship leader," being transparent. Being able to admit that not everything is fine in my life.
But that kind of transparency allows people to turn their attention from themselves, from you... and towards God.

IMHO our role as worship leaders is to pretty much disappear. Create an environment conducive to focusing on God and not on lesser things.
Not to create a feeling. Or to provide an experience. Or even to make people happy or please everybody.
We are worshippers first, servants 2nd, leaders last.

Upvote 0