Visit site
✟79,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
“The true basis of religion is not belief, but intuitive experience. Intuition is the soul’s power of knowing God. To know what religion is really all about, one must know God.”

My own reaction is that it is a combination of things such as spiritual experiences...beliefs ....perspectives... as to "knowing God" that's a very important issue and in my case as I see it depends on what I can learn from His Messengers or Manifestations.

Why not though assign the quote to the person who wrote it? Is there a reason for that... Googling one can find it.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we assume that we "know" the true God while it may be a subtle delusion. (possibly)

Applying that concept to the quote:

“The true basis of religion is not belief, but intuitive experience. Intuition is the soul’s power of knowing God.

Intuition is but one avenue. Physical experience can be far stronger, but more simple. Both need to be confirmed, rather than assumed as correct. When they align, it can start to get powerful

To know what religion is really all about, one must know God.”

:thumbsup: And I think that puts the horse before the cart. We can learn about religion til we're blue in the face, and miss G-d completely. And we can know G-d w/o religion. The latter gives us the better perspective for understanding any religious system we might apply ourselves to. Some do better within such a framework, some may not (I think the experience within said framework has everything to do with that)

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The true basis of religion is a combination of tradition, authoritarianism, and a human need or desire for roots and certainty. Perhaps underlying all of that is a fear of death.

This is exactly how I see people using the word "religion," and why I not only consider myself not religious, but contest that Christianity isn't a religion at all. In fact when signing up for CF, I seriously considered using a non-Christian icon, and many Christians do in fact reject that label.

From the Bible, the ONLY concept of religion that differs from what Hiker said here is, that pure religion is to keep yourself unspotted from the world, and to visit the fatherless and the widow in their affliction.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
My own reaction is that it is a combination of things such as spiritual experiences...beliefs ....perspectives... as to "knowing God" that's a very important issue and in my case as I see it depends on what I can learn from His Messengers or Manifestations.

Of course we have many avenues in life to 'experience' and asses any knowing of God. What can we learn from the messengers is a sound evaluation and in context to the quote, our intuition will (if allowed to be heard) guide us to their teachings or life lived.

Why not though assign the quote to the person who wrote it? Is there a reason for that... Googling one can find it.
[/quote][/quote]

Good question, I suppose I just wanted the quote to be stand alone. But as we have the ability to be instant oracle's with the click of a mouse I kind of missed the target on that. Paramahansa Yogananda was the author of the quote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Intuition is but one avenue. Physical experience can be far stronger, but more simple. Both need to be confirmed, rather than assumed as correct. When they align, it can start to get powerful

Confirmed is the key word there, perhaps that aspect is unique to the individual, but yes it's powerful when there is an alignment of those aspects.
:thumbsup: And I think that puts the horse before the cart. We can learn about religion til we're blue in the face, and miss G-d completely. And we can know G-d w/o religion. The latter gives us the better perspective for understanding any religious system we might apply ourselves to. Some do better within such a framework, some may not (I think the experience within said framework has everything to do with that)
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And how do you feel? Thinking alone can be a subtle delusion which is why meditation/stillness can present something different.

I feel like I should make it a regular practice discerning what is real and not real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
The true basis of religion is a combination of tradition, authoritarianism, and a human need or desire for roots and certainty. Perhaps underlying all of that is a fear of death.

In context to the quote I think the author was suggesting that those elements that you have listed are not the true basis, although you have given your opinion, and he his- which to embrace?. Well before my own moment of clarity I would have embraced your above conclusion but now I see differently. I used to think a fear of death was the only basis for peoples belief in God, a shallow needy desire for assurances to a fragile mind. This may be the case with many, but when you see the lives of the true men of faith they were strong and powerful figures (no doubt mixed with self doubt and fragilty at times) that feared nothing (even death) and loved all.

Here's another.

“Be afraid of nothing. Hating none, giving love to all, feeling the love of God, seeing His presence in everyone, and having but one desire - for His constant presence in the temple of your consciousness - that is the way to live in this world.”
― Paramahansa Yogananda

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith

I missed something here the first time around. You say the physical experience can be far stronger (agreed) and yes more simple, but there is the problem. What if the simple, strong, physical experience takes us away from the subtle and perhaps more complex (if not harder to embrace) guide that is our intuition. This is why the word faith is so important because for instance Raze your strong, physical, simple experience of life (could be corrupt, self serving and deceitful) could much more easily influence my own life rather than my subtle guide, and it does and has (not you personally) So my unshakeable faith is this subtle guide that is within that leads me to the simpler physical experience shaped and influenced by my intuition. Simpler still and somewhat strong you could tell me God does not exist, and be morally sound, generous and be of good social standing, that would be very strong and simple to embrace, especially presented with a razor wit and strong intellect, but what of my subtle guide?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, these two will ideally balance each other out. And if you look at my Faith icon, that is one of the many concepts it expresses. The strong force = upright, the weak force being the crossbar. And they meet at the heart of Jesus, which is expressed in your last line: "having but one desire - for His constant presence in the temple of your consciousness." Or as stated in the Gospel, "seek ye first the Kingdom of G-d, and His righteousness."

Also expressed in the contrast of these 2 is the great paradoxes of the first shall be last, the greatest among you must be servant of all, lose your life to find it;

and of course what I think you were getting at, which is the contest of the flesh vs spirit as in Cain and Abel, (first murder) Ishmael and Isaac, Esau and Jacob, and even Adam and Jesus.

And for those who REALLY want the big picture, also the picture of law / legalism vs Grace in the Gospel.

So this author, he is not part of Hinduism or Buddhism? What were his influences?

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
Yes, these two will ideally balance each other out. And if you look at my Faith icon, that is one of the many concepts it expresses. The strong force = upright, the weak force being the crossbar. And they meet at the heart of Jesus, which is expressed in your last line: "having but one desire - for His constant presence in the temple of your consciousness." Or as stated in the Gospel, "seek ye first the Kingdom of G-d, and His righteousness."

Also expressed in the contrast of these 2 is the great paradoxes of the first shall be last, the greatest among you must be servant of all, lose your life to find it;

and of course what I think you were getting at, which is the contest of the flesh vs spirit as in Cain and Abel, (first murder) Ishmael and Isaac, Esau and Jacob, and even Adam and Jesus.

And for those who REALLY want the big picture, also the picture of law / legalism vs Grace in the Gospel.

So this author, he is not part of Hinduism or Buddhism? What were his influences?

Some very apt responses.

Paramahansa Yogananda was a yogi scholar, teacher and practitioner, some would say spiritual master although I use the word guardedly, and whilst being Indian and being influenced by Hinduism this yogi vein of teaching (Kriya yoga) is non religious in its broadest sense and has meditation at its core and it teaches about the mind and body and how they influence the self. His teachings were to bring people to 'self-realization'. So in this light similar to Buddhism although God the creator is the central focus, or dare I say end goal, so it moves more towards the Abrahamic faiths in this regard.

Paramahansa Yogananda had his guru or teacher from a direct line to Mahavatar Babaji, (Madavatar - meaning 'Great Avatar' and 'Babaji -meaning 'revered father') who curiously was said to be in direct communion or communication with Christ. Paramahansa's book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' has many insightful bible interpretations. So what to the influences or influence?, let's say God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And what better day to celebrate the Unity of the Spirit, across all cultural divides? I find it no coincidence that the Day we celebrate that He is Risen, is orchestrated with evident Spring, all across the Northern Hemisphere. The message is not adequately expressed in word nor doctrine nor practice; plant life and animal life together is not enough to convey it ...

May we each perk our ears up to His still small voice, and have our eyes open to His Ancient work, and make our unique contribution to the tapestry the Almighty is weaving. Even though none of us really knows what to expect the final product to be, we can know with great confidence that it will be good!

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟765,198.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
“The true basis of religion is not belief, but intuitive experience. Intuition is the soul’s power of knowing God. To know what religion is really all about, one must know God.”
I agree that the true basis of religion is not belief. But I'd say that it's through Love that the soul comes to know God. Intuition may or may not grow out of ones love for God. Intuition isn't the answer, so that doesn't matter. But with out one's heart expanded and opened by Love, God has a place to go such that He can fill it. I don't see how God can be experienced and known any other way.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
I agree that the true basis of religion is not belief. But I'd say that it's through Love that the soul comes to know God. Intuition may or may not grow out of ones love for God. Intuition isn't the answer, so that doesn't matter. But with out one's heart expanded and opened by Love, God has a place to go such that He can fill it. I don't see how God can be experienced and known any other way.

Intutition I would say is the question, not the answer, not wanting be allusive but I can see what you are saying here. Others have said a similar thing, that there are other factors involved of which you say love is the answer. No quibble this side of the pond with that. Intuition is your subtle guide, where does it guide you? What question does if throw up? What conclusions does it bring you to? Many and varied in one sense as we lead such diverse lives, and yet within that diversity the truth can be found and you have found your truth and it emulates mine. Does love bring union or seperation, is our subtle guide moving us in this direction, union within the self and beyond. Certainly thats all I know in every aspect of my life, I'm driven towards union and have found a tremendous inner peace and love for all, my guide has brought me home and I'm now resistant to other agendas because as Raze said my inner guide and my outer physical experience are in union.

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
And what better day to celebrate the Unity of the Spirit, across all cultural divides? I find it no coincidence that the Day we celebrate that He is Risen, is orchestrated with evident Spring, all across the Northern Hemisphere. The message is not adequately expressed in word nor doctrine nor practice; plant life and animal life together is not enough to convey it ...

May we each perk our ears up to His still small voice, and have our eyes open to His Ancient work, and make our unique contribution to the tapestry the Almighty is weaving. Even though none of us really knows what to expect the final product to be, we can know with great confidence that it will be good!

:)

Upvote 0

Masihi

love based faith is truer than fear based faith
Aug 26, 2010
✟16,803.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Christianity can best relate the last statement 'one must know G-d'. "To love the Lord with all your heart, soul and mind" brings a christian close and prayer helps.

Upvote 0