Visit site
✟7,738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Although I think they're kind of silly, I don't find anything sinful about them. The Scripture mainly used to argue against them, in the Old Testament, I believe is referring to the religiously significant markings the Egyptians used in the practice of their pagan religion, and the law against the Jews having these was mainly for the purpose of "un-Egyptifying" the Hebrews after the Exodus.

The most plausible I've heard against tattoos is the image it presents to the world, but I think nowadays as tattoos are becoming more main-stream and fashionable, this isn't the case. It's more of a cultural issue than a religious one, and either way, I don't think it's that important of a thing get all worked up over.

I know a lot of Christians who are advised to have their tattoos removed once their saved, but I don't think this is necessary unless the tattoos in question are pagan, racist, or criminal in nature. And even if they are, they can prove an awesome testimony as to how Christ has transformed their life, although, again, the image presented by having them may not be the best.

Upvote 0

bakerdad32

Jul 24, 2005
✟174.00
Faith
Protestant
USMC said:
Although I think they're kind of silly, I don't find anything sinful about them. The Scripture mainly used to argue against them, in the Old Testament, I believe is referring to the religiously significant markings the Egyptians used in the practice of their pagan religion, and the law against the Jews having these was mainly for the purpose of "un-Egyptifying" the Hebrews after the Exodus.

The most plausible I've heard against tattoos is the image it presents to the world, but I think nowadays as tattoos are becoming more main-stream and fashionable, this isn't the case. It's more of a cultural issue than a religious one, and either way, I don't think it's that important of a thing get all worked up over.

I know a lot of Christians who are advised to have their tattoos removed once their saved, but I don't think this is necessary unless the tattoos in question are pagan, racist, or criminal in nature. And even if they are, they can prove an awesome testimony as to how Christ has transformed their life, although, again, the image presented by having them may not be the best.
thanks that was kind of what i thought when it refers to marking of the body i think that was ment for cuting for pagan worship.

Reactions: USMC
Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Corinthians 6:19. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Does it glorify God to mark His image with pin and ink?

Would you put that picture on your church building, knowing it couldn't be washed off or painted over?

Romans 12:1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Is a tattoo holy and acceptable to God?

('Holy' means seperated for God's service.)

Upvote 0

FletcherB

Feb 7, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
✟15,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since our body is to be treated as a temple for the Holy Spirit, it seems to me that it wouldn't be prudent to have tattoos.

That being said, I don't know of any place in the bible where tattoos are 'taboo.' In fact, my wife is a pastor's daughter and bible college graduate, and she'd talked about getting a very small tattoo on her ankle. She'd know more than I would! :D

Upvote 0

DeleseRose

DeleseRose
Jan 24, 2002
USA.
Visit site
✟5,548.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
well i like olives opinion on this subject, i think it's in line with what the bible has to say on tha subject. But from my personal opinion i have no problem with it. But remember treating our bodies as the temple of GOD includes alot more than tatooing.

Upvote 0

FletcherB

Feb 7, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
✟15,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I totally agree; but that doesn't disclude tattooing from being part of it.

I guess the real question is, why is a person getting a tattoo? The obvious answer is 'because it looks cool,' or words to that effect. Others will say that they are making a statement.

Do either of these reasons give glory to God?

If a person has a tattoo of the Christian cross put on their chest, does that make her a believer or non-believer? Answer: neither.

Point being, I don't think tattoos negates your salvation. But I do think that it doesn't glorify God.

Just my opinion, and probably the wrong one. =)

Upvote 0

Tranceformer110

Dec 8, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
✟15,574.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
oliveplants said:

Would you put that picture on your church building, knowing it couldn't be washed off or painted over?

please include that verse within it's proper context. Paul is talking about sexual immorality, not tattooing

Upvote 0

JamesBurrow

Jan 3, 2006
At the LORD's feet
✟148.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
oliveplants said:

Well, a guy at my church has Isaiah 1:18 on his arm. I beleive that this does glorify God, so, in that sense, getting a tatoo is okay?

Upvote 0

Bethshaya

Argh!
Feb 21, 2005
Connecticut, USA
✟8,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Can't get any plainer than this from God. However, it is from the OT, and it can be argued that we are no longer under the curse of the law. It also states that it shouldn't be done in mourning for a dead person, but not in general.

Leviticus 19:28
" 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves.

A good test is to determine whether we can honestly, in good conscience, ask God to bless and use the particular activity for His own good purposes. "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). The Bible does not command against tattoos or body piercings in general, but it also does not give us any reason to believe God would have us get tattoos or body piercings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
JamesBurrow said:
Leviticus is one of the books of Moses, correct?
Now, did Christ not cast down that law and make drastic changes????

No!

Anymore than we could steal, kill, worship idols or covet our neighbours wife, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to our neighbour.

Jesus fulfilled the law- that doesnt mean we throw it away.

What it means is that Jesus took the punishment for when we fail.

Failure is not wilfull sin.

Now you know the Lord's view on tatoos follow it.

Those who dont know any better have an excuse. What would be yours?

:idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

frankjames

Feb 20, 2006
✟130.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hi, All,
Newbie here...Good comments...I think Olive has captured two of the most key verses (Rom 12:1 and 1 Cor 6). I would also add 1 Cor 6:12. "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient."

To add a real-life illustration, I was in a church in Pensacola where one of the emphasis was on individual "freedom" and not having a "religious spirit". However, the "pastor/prophet" there had himself heavily tattooed with some Japanese Karate symbols, presumably, to illustrate this freedom. I felt this was not a good example because I don't believe it gives a good testimony when a leader does such a hugely visible, radical, defacing of his body even to make a point. I have to ask: would Jesus do this? How does this advance the kingdom of God? Wouldn't it have been much better to avoid such a controversial action? Leaders/teachers/pastors need to illustrate the highest possible standards of behaviour. The point is that 1-Yes you have the "freedom" do do what you want that may not be overt SIN (e.g., tattoos, other cultural practices), but 2 - What spiritual good does it do to call attention to yourself in such a controversial or radical action? 3 - Leaders especially should stay away from things that point to themselves and takes focus away from God and avoid even the appearance of evil. (For the record I am not inappropriately "judging" the pastor, but strongly disagree with the action...I believe it is poor leadership that is not following scripture standards of excellence).

Upvote 0

bakerdad32

Jul 24, 2005
✟174.00
Faith
Protestant
frankjames said:
Hi, All,
Newbie here...Good comments...I think Olive has captured two of the most key verses (Rom 12:1 and 1 Cor 6). I would also add 1 Cor 6:12. "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient."

To add a real-life illustration, I was in a church in Pensacola where one of the emphasis was on individual "freedom" and not having a "religious spirit". However, the "pastor/prophet" there had himself heavily tattooed with some Japanese Karate symbols, presumably, to illustrate this freedom. I felt this was not a good example because I don't believe it gives a good testimony when a leader does such a hugely visible, radical, defacing of his body even to make a point. I have to ask: would Jesus do this? How does this advance the kingdom of God? Wouldn't it have been much better to avoid such a controversial action? Leaders/teachers/pastors need to illustrate the highest possible standards of behaviour. The point is that 1-Yes you have the "freedom" do do what you want that may not be overt SIN (e.g., tattoos, other cultural practices), but 2 - What spiritual good does it do to call attention to yourself in such a controversial or radical action? 3 - Leaders especially should stay away from things that point to themselves and takes focus away from God and avoid even the appearance of evil. (For the record I am not inappropriately "judging" the pastor, but strongly disagree with the action...I believe it is poor leadership that is not following scripture standards of excellence).
well put but if i read this right you don't fill it is a sin for tattoos but fill it's morality wrong. welcome to cf :cool:

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bakerdad32 said:
I was wounding what your thought's on tattoos were and scipture to back it up.i'm not sure of my feelings on this subject any help.:scratch:
The prohibition against tattoos in the Bible are Old Testament, and likely linked to the aversion against images in general. Me thinks Christians are not bound by this rule, anymore than we are bound by the food laws. Nevertheless, if parents say no, then no it is. Also, culturally, it will raise some eyebrows. That's not a reason, of itself, not do get one--but peace in the house of God is not an unworthy consideration. Whatever you decide, do it for the glory of God.

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
frankjames said:
Hi, All,

The martial arts often have Buddhist or other non-Christian religious philosophies behind them, and was not the best choice. Why not Jesus being crucified, or some other evangelistic tattoo, at least? Just MHO.

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lismore said:
No!

Anymore than we could steal, kill, worship idols or covet our neighbours wife, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to our neighbour.

Jesus fulfilled the law- that doesnt mean we throw it away.

What it means is that Jesus took the punishment for when we fail.

Failure is not wilfull sin.

Now you know the Lord's view on tatoos follow it.

Those who dont know any better have an excuse. What would be yours?

:idea:
WOW. It is true that Jesus fulfilled the law. It is also true, that since he did so, for Christians many of the ritualistic regulations have passed. We no longer eat kosher. We no longer offer sacrifices. We are now free to wear clothing with blended fabrics. We may have tatoos. However, liberty does not always mean that we should do something. Frankly, I don't have peace about tattoos, and won't get one. However, I'll not condemn the believer who has peace and does so. Anything that is not of faith, is indeed sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.