Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My parish and the parish we share a priest with (really it allmost acts like one parish with two churches) is going see about setting up a young adult groups for people out of high school, like the age group we will be talking about is 18-30 (kind of a big span)
we are having a meeting today to talk about it
so I will tell you guys how it goes

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have Theology on Tap a few times a year too, I wish we'd do it more! What better way to reach people who might otherwise assume all Catholics are starchy fuddy-duddies that think they're better than everyone else than to gather in some dank bar and have a group chat about our faith without shame?

I'm falling off the outside edge of "young adult", but I'm part of a group that invites new independant parishoners - basically anyone under 40 who move to the area for work or who come home to the Church after an extended absence - to hang out with us. We'll plop all the kids in front of the TV and have a bonfire and talk about whatever or we'll go out to dinner or watch a big game together.

I'm also part of an informal men's Catholic Bible Study that meets at a local pub for a couple hours every Tuesday night. We start off with a prayer, re-read the chapter for the week together, then talk about it. We go off on tangents quite a bit, but that's part of the fun. The youngest participant is 22 (sometimes 15 if one of the men brings his son) and the oldest are in their mid-50s. The struggles of a 15-year-old and a 55 year-old aren't as different as it might immediately seem. Some of us are married, some single,, some divorced. Some conservative, some liberal. It is absolutely amazing how well it works out.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wish there was a middle age adults group I could join.

Start one up, that's the only way they get going. Invite everyone you can think of, very few will show but don't be discouraged. You might mention it in the bulletin or have the Priest issue an invitation before or after Mass. My advice would be to keep it light and make it fun. It should be reverent, but everybody is busy and nobody has time for what could feel like a "meeting" instead of a "get-together".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums