Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While a lot of the bingos generally have a bit of sense to them, I've never been able to understand the "you were a child once!" bingo. What exactly does that mean? After watching a video regarding being childfree, I noticed a good portion of the comments from people were, "They forget that they were children once, too!" And all I can do is sit here, dumbfounded. What does that have to do with my decision to be childfree? I mean, I'm assuming people don't wake up in the morning going, "You know, I was a child once, therefore I should have one." (Or maybe they do. Who knows? I'm glad I don't try to be that deeply profound when I first wake up or there would be issues.)

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the reasoning behind this bingo? :sorry: And if I am, can someone explain to me what one is thinking when they say that?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't get the reasoning either. I used the comparison in another thread that I used to drink and use drugs, but just because I used to be that way doesn't mean that now I want to spend my days hanging around with drunks and drug users. :scratch:

We can't help that we used to be children once, it's kinda how things work. :D When I was a child, I had blond hair (it's brown now, should I dye it to blond since I was a blond once?), I wore diapers out of need (should I mess my pants since I was an incontinent once?), and I wanted to marry Big Bird (should I divorce my husband since I was an avian fettishist once?)

The beauty of growing up is that you figure out what you want from life based on a lifetime of experiences, and thank God you're not bound to a certain fate simply because you weren't hatched out of a pod in full adult form.

Trust me, if I could have avoided the whole childhood thing, I would have.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not childfree, but i don't understand that reasoning either. I actually don't understand why people are threatened or defensive about other's not wanting children. It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with the validity of anyone else's choices. People are just strange.

Upvote 0

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess they automatically figure childfree=hates children, and they think "how can you hate children when you were a child once?"

And I figure that the more I understand what it was like for me as a child, and the dysfunctional patterns I grew up with, the more I realize it was the best decision I ever made not to have children. It's bad enough that I repeated some of it with my stepchildren, so I can imagine the emotional damage I would have done to my biological children. So to me, that just blows their theory out of the water.

Upvote 0

Nella Fantasia

Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, hm, my parents did think that way, that's why I don't want to repeat the mistake.:idea:

Exactly.

I guess they automatically figure childfree=hates children, and they think "how can you hate children when you were a child once?"

I think you're right. So has anyone ever received this bingo after making it clear that you like children? :scratch:

I think the next time I hear it, I'm just going to ask them what exactly they mean by it.

Do you have a link to that video?

http://www.momversation.com/episodes/childfree-by-choice

It's mothers discussing their opinion on childfree people.

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That video inspired me.

I've decided I'm going to have a baby.

Attachments

• ich bin kinder-frei.jpg
    ich bin kinder-frei.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is just ridiculous and everyone has great responses on here! I agree with you all (of course). :)

The fact that I was a child once I think plays a part in my being childfree. I was not your normal child but still had an awesome childhood. I was always very serious, concerned w/ doing the right thing, responsible, an overachiever, and consider myself as always being an "old soul." I had friends my own age but preferred people much older than myself. I cannot tolerate bad behavior from kids or teenagers or even young college students because I was never that way. My parents were great; my dad worked 9a-5p, my mom stayed home and homeschooled us.

There's no way I want to try to replicate that by having children of my own. I would expect way too much out of myself and any children.

Don't get me wrong, my childhood plays a VERY MINOR part in my not wanting children, but if people brought up "you were a child once" with me that's what I would tell them.

I hope this post makes sense. I have a bad cold and am having a hard time thinking.

Upvote 0
R

RobinRedbreast

I was a child once? Of course I was... and I -remember- being a child, which is one reason I do NOT want kids NOW :D Oh I was a holy terror. And my mother was a lot like me, didn't want children (and ended up with one anyway) and I could always tell my entire life that she didn't have the same love for me that other parents had for their kids :\

It was hard, and I formed attachment issues, and today I can't even make any friends.

Yeah, I was a child once. And I keep that in mind when I say the words "no children".

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The beauty of growing up is that you figure out what you want from life based on a lifetime of experiences, and thank God you're not bound to a certain fate simply because you weren't hatched out of a pod in full adult form.

Trust me, if I could have avoided the whole childhood thing, I would have.

Haha ^_^ have you ever seen Kyle XY? That's what your post reminded me of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

invisiblebabe

Feb 12, 2004
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is just ridiculous and everyone has great responses on here! I agree with you all (of course). :)

The fact that I was a child once I think plays a part in my being childfree. I was not your normal child but still had an awesome childhood. I was always very serious, concerned w/ doing the right thing, responsible, an overachiever, and consider myself as always being an "old soul." I had friends my own age but preferred people much older than myself. I cannot tolerate bad behavior from kids or teenagers or even young college students because I was never that way. My parents were great; my dad worked 9a-5p, my mom stayed home and homeschooled us.

There's no way I want to try to replicate that by having children of my own. I would expect way too much out of myself and any children.

Don't get me wrong, my childhood plays a VERY MINOR part in my not wanting children, but if people brought up "you were a child once" with me that's what I would tell them.

I hope this post makes sense. I have a bad cold and am having a hard time thinking.

Ya I relate, I was similar as a kid.... also very creative and weird, to the point where most kids and most adults didn't understand me. lol.

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

Feb 12, 2004
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yup, that's what I had in mind when I said it ;) :D

Hahaha ^_^ Did you see the latest episode? I'd ask you what you think will happen next, but I don't want to give you any spoilers ;)

I like Kyle's personality. If I could guarantee a kid I'd adopt (bio kids are out of the question b/c of my health problems) would be like him, I'd consider it.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hahaha ^_^ Did you see the latest episode? I'd ask you what you think will happen next, but I don't want to give you any spoilers ;)

I like Kyle's personality. If I could guarantee a kid I'd adopt (bio kids are out of the question b/c of my health problems) would be like him, I'd consider it.

We have this week's episode on the TiVo but haven't watched it yet. Did you know that stupid ABC Family isn't renewing it?? :(

Yeah I agree, if I could have a kid like Kyle, I'd probably have one. Especially since he was "born" at age 16, so he'd be pretty low-maintenance overall ;)

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

Feb 12, 2004
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have this week's episode on the TiVo but haven't watched it yet. Did you know that stupid ABC Family isn't renewing it?? :(

Yeah I agree, if I could have a kid like Kyle, I'd probably have one. Especially since he was "born" at age 16, so he'd be pretty low-maintenance overall ;)

They aren't renewing it! Evil!! :( :( Does that mean this one is the last season? I hope not!

LOL Kyle is a good 16-17 year old, but a lot of other teenagers aren't!

Upvote 0