razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you made it 44 seconds that's pretty good, but it doesn't start getting good til 1:10. Then it cuts out before 45 seconds ^_^

Another good spot starts at 4:15; prolly not longer than 45 seconds though. It's hard to find more than 45 seconds of "good jazz." It is definitely the oddball out there! Let me try to find some nice "yawny" instrumentals, by some guy I went to school with:

Chris Botti - Emmanuel - YouTube

(The theme doesn't come in til 1:15, so if it loses you before that skip to that point)

Then there's a response at 2:10

At 2:40 the theme and response turn into a duet, which morphs at 3:15, and comes back to the theme about 3:55. From there to the end, it's hard to imagine anything more serenely beautiful, but the whole thing is just great, for those that like serene and beautiful. The videos done really well, too.

Here's another (really yawny, but excellent)

DEBORAH'S THEME - CHRIS BOTTI - YouTube

And a favorite of many:

Nessun Dorma by Chris Botti - YouTube

Getting away from pure instrumentals, here it's with a singer you wouldn't ordinarily associate with this style: (The slow one doesn't start til 5:50)

Steven Tyler - Cryin' and Smile with Chris Botti - Live (HD) - YouTube

This is a real stretch for this singer! It gets going around 8:00 (Again, only about 45 seconds before it changes)

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Raze The first three are more up my alley, and love the backround, I havent devolped an appreciation for the trumpet, in spite of the fact my grandfather was a well known trumpet player

Yeah I know what your thinking Raze, I should quickly develope one before I depart this earth for my heavenly habitation huh? ^_^

I would definately start with the ones you have just shared here:thumbsup: I know Em1, and Neph could definately hang out with my husband and listen to his tunes, they all listen to the same sorta thing. But its funny hubby blasts his rock out in the garage doing lawn work, and its like two different world, he comes in and falls asleep when he comes inside listening to what I listen to, how we make it work between us is beyond me ^_^

Thanks bro, glad your back you were missed:hug:

Reactions: 1Em1Esseswife
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Sis (and everybody else) you don't have to worry about acquiring a taste for great trumpet playing now in this life. I'll be there with y'all! ^_^ Minus all the physical limitations that have kept me from reaching my (internal) potential, including breathing problems that should've killed me 3 decades ago.

How's that for G-d for ya? Ya can't breathe? Here, play trumpet! When He says he calls those things which are not, to confound those things that are? :cool: Yeah, that's me He's talkin' about.

Anyway, since today is cultural awareness and sensitivity day, try this on for size: (The title is self-explanatory)

Performance Today: Bringing the Concert Hall to You - YouTube

What, you don't have 90 minutes to listen? At least jump to 38:00 and give it 4 minutes, it's purely glorious. And if you can hang in there for another 2:00, you'll be richly rewarded. the way he connects the rest of that movement to the beginning of the next is masterful! Myself, having pushed myself to extremes of musicianship, I'm in a teary-eyed delirium about now. Just imagine the amount of talent in that one room, and their concerted effort! (Plus, I'm listening to it through speakers that make my next door neighbor feel like he's almost in the concert hall, so that helps)

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul" - Bach

This clip has that goin' on, in spades!

Hey Fire, what was your Grandaddy's name, and was he on any recordings? I might be aware of him, and even if not, recordings he played on might have been put on youtube

Last edited:
Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, wow bro! No 90 minutes here Raze lol But that wasnt bad, beats rock. Though Ive been told I'v got bad taste. For example, just say my mom was Julia Childs, I might rather reach for the packaged twinkies over what she might bake. Sorta like that, so I know this about myself. My whole family line is musicians, except me, but I can the kazoo (and am actually not embarrassed to say so ) ^_^

But its funny, my sister was some kind of respresentive for fine wines, where she'd attend these wine tastings and all. And she'd come home with a bottles worth well over hundreds of dollars. She give me that look like, "wait till you try this" but everytime I much rather that $5 bottle of cheap overly sweet stuff. Meanwhile my sister is swishing it around in her special glass telling me about the legs of the wine or something (lol). Im like "whatever kind of legs the cheap stuff got is just great by me" ^_^

She tells me I have an unrefined palet. I agree, cause alot of folks pay alot of money to to go to hear what you yourself have shared and drink what she tries to convince me is rich, and Im always been to the poor mans stuff (or so it seems) lol

And Em1 I actually like the Celtic women myself, infact Lion King had introduced me to them awhile back, not everything they do but enough I guess.

God bless you's two:hug:

Upvote 0

1Em1Esseswife

May 22, 2012
✟495.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yep, I listened to a few of thier songs and then picked this one mainly for the bagpipes and purdy singin'.
Played just the bagpipes version with no singin' at mom's funeral a few years ago.
Scotish on her side so gotta soft spot for dem bagpipes.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She tells me I have an unrefined palet. I agree, cause alot of folks pay alot of money to to go to hear what you yourself have shared and drink what she tries to convince me is rich, and Im always been to the poor mans stuff (or so it seems) lol

Hey, Chris Botti is NOT cheap! (Glad you like his stuff, there's tons more on youtube) Tickets to his concerts are outrageous. I was there when he was nothing special, and saw when he "got it." What he could do 2 weeks later was just incredible. Every now and then I hear he unleashes a tiny smidge of that fire in concert, but he openly states he doesn't want to be known as a jazz musician, cuz he'd starve ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, I listened to a few of thier songs and then picked this one mainly for the bagpipes and purdy singin'.
Played just the bagpipes version with no singin' at mom's funeral a few years ago.
Scotish on her side so gotta soft spot for dem bagpipes.

Thats strange you just said that bro, because I played the Patch Adams themes I posted with others on the same combined at my own daughters funeral. And so we posted (together) what we played at the funerals of those we love.

Yes bro, I get that soft spot, and sorry bro about the loss of your mom, I know you must miss her very much:hug:

God bless you

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, Chris Botti is NOT cheap! (Glad you like his stuff, there's tons more on youtube) Tickets to his concerts are outrageous. I was there when he was nothing special, and saw when he "got it." What he could do 2 weeks later was just incredible. Every now and then I hear he unleashes a tiny smidge of that fire in concert, but he openly states he doesn't want to be known as a jazz musician, cuz he'd starve ^_^

I figured he was not a cheap concert with all that brass and string.

Yeah I dont like Jazz much either, I dont know what the heck I like, I cant say I like blues, Jazz, heavy metal, rock or country (well a few). And certain instruments will ruin it for me if they are in the forefront. Though I like piano, some flute, certain songs (but by "whoevers") most of whom I never heard of. Im just weird I guess. But once I finally get my favorites on a CD after combing through thousands of tunes I can play the same CD over and over again for years (embarrassingly enough). The last one I played for 5 years^_^ and yet, I still love the songs, like I wont ever get tired of most of them.

Talk about boring, I can be very very very boring (lol)

My sister wanted to hang herself when she lived with me, she said, "cant you put in another CD"?! I drove her batty lol

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I dont like Jazz much either

I have a descriptive take on this:

jazz was never written to sound good, or be "liked." It was written (or rather, performed) to say "look what i can do that you can't." And that's why I listen to it, when I listen to it. it's just incredible that any human being could ever do such a thing, kinda like watching the Olympics. And every now and then maybe they do something that doesn't sound too bad, and then it might make my very short list of preferred recordings. But I'll still skip to that part, and try to avoid the rest of even the one song ^_^

, I dont know what the heck I like, I cant say I like blues, Jazz, heavy metal, rock or country (well a few). And certain instruments will ruin it for me if they are in the forefront.

Which ones? I was always like that with steel guitar, then ya know what G-d did to me? I helped a fellow musician get the "steel guitar club" going here in WI. That'll teach me! He's a dentist, Jim Lehman, now known as "Dr Steel." He was one of the first musicians I came across here in WI,a nd only had like 3 or 4 songs together with his next door neighbor. I noticed some talent, took him under my wing, and before long we could knock down 22 tunes in a rehearsal, and do them well.

Then one day he listened long enough for me to show him some things, and finally it "sunk in." Now he's an amazing player, and can jam along with anybody, on anything. While that may be one of my better contributions to the world, it was still him who practiced his tukus off!

Though I like piano, some flute

Ever heard this? (And isn't that just the best album cover you've ever seen?)

Suite for Flute - Bolling and Rampal - Baroque and Blue.mp4 - YouTube

I grew up hearing my Sister play the flute part like ALL THE TIME. I don't know why she practiced it, she never missed a note. I still expect to see Snoopy floating up and down the bass when I hear this ^_^ And yes, there is a whole album of this; maybe it's all on youtube even?

Im just weird I guess.

But that's why we like you :hug:

But once I finally get my favorites on a CD after combing through thousands of tunes I can play the same CD over and over again for years (embarrassingly enough). The last one I played for 5 years^_^ and yet, I still love the songs, like I wont ever get tired of most of them.

Talk about boring, I can be very very very boring (lol)

I think that might be called "taste?" Around age 14, Dad told me he has no taste. He'd played so many different things, and studied so much, that he'll just play whatever. And he never remembers tunes.

My sister wanted to hang herself when she lived with me, she said, "cant you put in another CD"?! I drove her batty lol

To which you replied "and you can't enjoy a glass of wine unless it costs hundreds of dollars a bottle" ^_^

I like having friends who explore new music, cuz they turn me on to good stuff w/o me having to sort through all the junk. If ya ever feel rowdy check out Avenged Sevenfold, which you should recognize the theme as pertaining to Lamech. I can sing that :cool:

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whats all this line by line replying? Im so bad at that Raze ^_^

But no I didnt know that about Jazz, my dad loves Jazz too.

Which ones ruin it for me? Mostly the ones I mentioned, and I just keep adding to the list I guess (lol) I dont even think I know the right names of the instruments most the time. Thats how "in tuned" I am lol

But I think thats the way it works. Your freind sounds really talented, wish I actually played an instrument, could give lessons or something, but never thought of that then. I took violin, when I was in 4rth grade, but I think the teacher said to my mom, shes just not all that interested. I was just not a good student (across the board).

You were telling me your sister sings like an angel too, and you had posted that one song to me once. Thats amazing really, she sounds very gifted. I think I like flute.

I guess more like this, but Im ok with this. And because its less like a pied piper deal going on, but its an okay forefront instrument to me

Tim Janis " The Promise "- REFLECTIONS - YouTube

But flute can be annoying too (depends) but I dont mind that. I couldnt find the few that I do really like alot though.

And what do you mean, "thats why we like you" ?

You should love me bro^_^

Sheesh... (lol)

My dad explored music, I was always around it, and various stuff, just never liked the stuff he was bent toward I guess, more my others sister kind, who liked piano. Well, I guess so she both plays it and teaches it, but I always liked listening to her play, and some of the CD's she had. Some freinds are good freinds despite whether you like the kind of music they like, and others are the same but your more bent to like what they like, because you share in the same I'm thinking. So you might always ask that person, "do you know of anything good that come out"? lol I actually do that with Lion King, I like alot of what he likes believe it or not.

Avenged Sevenfold? Ok Raze, I will look them up on youtube and give them a listen. I actually got me a storm coming where I live, afraid I might lose my power here shortly (I hope not)

God bless you

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A storm coming? We actually had some rain here today, for the first time in weeks. Short little cloudburst, that's it. by the time I got home from work everything was dry as a bone again, couldn't even tell it rained.

I think there are still millions without power from recent storms?

That flute in your vid there has a special name, I forget what. (Pan flute, maybe?) At the big music festival going on here now, there's always a group of them from the Andes mountains.

And don't look into Avenged Sevenfold unless you're feeling really rowdy, which might be never and you might just mention them to your husband, and that i can sing their stuff. (He might get a kick out of that) I just thought it was cool that an entirely secular band would pick a Biblical name.

So what was your trumpet playing Grandaddy's name?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A storm coming? We actually had some rain here today, for the first time in weeks. Short little cloudburst, that's it. by the time I got home from work everything was dry as a bone again, couldn't even tell it rained.

I think there are still millions without power from recent storms?

That flute in your vid there has a special name, I forget what. (Pan flute, maybe?) At the big music festival going on here now, there's always a group of them from the Andes mountains.

And don't look into Avenged Sevenfold unless you're feeling really rowdy, which might be never and you might just mention them to your husband, and that i can sing their stuff. (He might get a kick out of that) I just thought it was cool that an entirely secular band would pick a Biblical name.

So what was your trumpet playing Grandaddy's name?

Thanks Raze, when Im feeling rowdy lol Hey thats pretty kool theres a different kind of flute I want to look it up because Im wondering if thats why I like some flute and not others maybe? I havent a clue.

Raze, my grandfather is passed away, and has been for quite some time. His name was George (H), not sure if I want to post his name openly here given its a family name (and the internet and all). But he was pretty good from what I heard. I know he would play his trumpet at the white house on occasions. Well because he had various pictures of himself with his trumpet with the likes of President Gerald Ford, one I know who he played for. And well, you know, he had various other pics of the older and more prominent dudes of the that time. One other I know of but I dont know what kind of relationship my grandfather had with him, Perry Como. I know Perry would babysit my own father when he was little. Which to me, is kind of strange, because I would assume back then babysitters would be female (moreso then) than at any other time. I mean I dont know if it was before he become famous, or just that him and my poppop were close and he just said, "do me a favor and watch the kid" will ya? ^_^ I couldnt tell ya. But of that generational time period I dont know who is who, my dad might moreso then I.

But I dont like the trumpet... and I guess where we are headed I better learn to like it ^_^

P.S The storm passed, I survived without incident lol

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I dont like the trumpet

And yet you loved the Chris Botti that I put up. ;) He's an amazing player, that worked really hard at this. He's got a great sound. He has so much control he can play less than two feet away from people in his audience, and not be too loud. That, is hard.

One of the classic old albums trying to be beautiful with trumpet was called Clifford With Strings, and I think Botti beats it. Another favorite from a little later was Chet Baker, and Botti is better (IMHO) I've had people tell me they could listen to him all day, so you're not so weird for that ^_^

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet you loved the Chris Botti that I put up. ;) He's an amazing player, that worked really hard at this. He's got a great sound. He has so much control he can play less than two feet away from people in his audience, and not be too loud. That, is hard.

One of the classic old albums trying to be beautiful with trumpet was called Clifford With Strings, and I think Botti beats it. Another favorite from a little later was Chet Baker, and Botti is better (IMHO) I've had people tell me they could listen to him all day, so you're not so weird for that ^_^

Yeah Raze, I really liked Emmanuel, sounded more like a violin (lol) he is really smooth (Yes, he is definately an exception to the rule):thumbsup:

Upvote 0