You Know How Catholics Like to Sit in the Same Pew Every Sunday...

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Hey, Mario, that new guy took my seat in church....utsamadder wit 'im?

7386_591541130857495_543168618_n.jpg

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
gurneyhalleck1 said:
The Orthodox like to STAND at the same pew each week! ^_^

More right than people may realize. Every time I've visited the local OCA parish everyone stands in front of a chair. The same chair.

Kinda funny, actually. Considering that most people stand for at least 80% of the service and 0% of the homily.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I sit in the same place in the chapel every mass. Of course....it's the designated seat for the Cantor...

They save a seat for me every now and then. :cool:

I've noticed most Christians are the same, they all like to sit in back.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At our parish the only time you really sit down is during the homily.....that's when the deacon comes out of the sanctuary, the altar boys, etc. and they sit with their families to hear the sermon. After that, back to standing and everyone back to their spots...positions, everyone! LOL

A Divine Liturgy is about 2 hours long, maybe 1:45 on a "short" day. And it's standing all the way!.....

After getting used to this posture, when I went back a couple of times to my old Catholic parish to visit, oh man, sitting and kneeling drove me nuts! The sitting was intolerable! LOL.....it's just a different dynamic....

More right than people may realize. Every time I've visited the local OCA parish everyone stands in front of a chair. The same chair.

Kinda funny, actually. Considering that most people stand for at least 80% of the service and 0% of the homily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Orthodox like to STAND at the same pew each week! ^_^

Let me tell you, I love our Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ but there is no way I could stand for an entire liturgy every time I went. I have foot problems (flat feet, plantar fasciitis, and tarsal tunnel syndrome) which make standing for more than like 3 minutes quite painful. As a matter of fact, during the standing parts of the Mass I always finding myself standing on one foot and then alternating to relieve the pressure on the painful foot.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Let me tell you, I love our Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ but there is no way I could stand for an entire liturgy every time I went. I have foot problems (flat feet, plantar fasciitis, and tarsal tunnel syndrome) which make standing for more than like 3 minutes quite painful. As a matter of fact, during the standing parts of the Mass I always finding myself standing on one foot and then alternating to relieve the pressure on the painful foot.

Just because we stand during liturgy, you're not required to. The only really crucial parts to stand and show respect are during the gospel readings, the entrance, and the communion of the faithful.

Heck, if you're just a visitor or make your condition known, I doubt anyone would say anything if you sat all the way through.

Upvote 0