Status
Not open for further replies.

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Over the years there has been one overriding thought that weaves itself into all my studies and applications of the Word of God. It permeates my being so that it is in everything I think. When I forget it, it's never long before I've gotten in the flesh and sinned. When I remember it, I'm immediately back in harmony with My Lord. It is the one thing that God gave me the very moment I was saved and has only gotten deeper and richer in all these years.

Grace, sweet Grace. I find in it the very essence of Our Lord. It is at the heart of His incredible Love for us. In it is the entirety of the "Good News".

So, when the pastor of our little church decided that it was time for us to start a "new believers" class and he asked me to teach it, I asked him for one thing. That was that no matter what, he would let me teach the full implications of Grace first, and we would just love these youngsters until it is clear to them. To my surprise, he absolutely concured and said he would have it no other way. He also went on to relate about how much grief he had to endure when he started our church with the same singular teaching, but put his whole trust in the Lord that He was able to draw people into a walk worthy of the Gift we have received.

Yes Christians are liable to take it and do all manner of sin. They might even see it as liscense to sin. But God is faithful, and He will not leave them in such a folly. A full understanding of Grace itself will see to it.

So, my question is, do we as Christians have what it takes to teach the full meaning of Grace? Do most of us even understand the fulness of the Grace given us?

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
Asaph

S

selahmusic

Asaph said:
Over the years there has been one overriding thought that weaves itself into all my studies and applications of the Word of God. It permeates my being so that it is in everything I think. When I forget it, it's never long before I've gotten in the flesh and sinned. When I remember it, I'm immediately back in harmony with My Lord. It is the one thing that God gave me the very moment I was saved and has only gotten deeper and richer in all these years.

Grace, sweet Grace. I find in it the very essence of Our Lord. It is at the heart of His incredible Love for us. In it is the entirety of the "Good News".

So, when the pastor of our little church decided that it was time for us to start a "new believers" class and he asked me to teach it, I asked him for one thing. That was that no matter what, he would let me teach the full implications of Grace first, and we would just love these youngsters until it is clear to them. To my surprise, he absolutely concured and said he would have it no other way. He also went on to relate about how much grief he had to endure when he started our church with the same singular teaching, but put his whole trust in the Lord that He was able to draw people into a walk worthy of the Gift we have received.

Yes Christians are liable to take it and do all manner of sin. They might even see it as liscense to sin. But God is faithful, and He will not leave them in such a folly. A full understanding of Grace itself will see to it.

So, my question is, do we as Christians have what it takes to teach the full meaning of Grace? Do most of us even understand the fulness of the Grace given us?

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
Asaph
To teach Grace you need to know it by experiance. "GRACE ISN'T GRACE UNTIL IT IS TESTED."

Upvote 0

Ainesis

Leaning on Him
May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Asaph,

That is an excellent question and I think a valiant approach to disicpling new believers.

I would only add that a proper, full, and Scriptural understanding of grace would include a discussion of what grace is and what it ain't. I think the book of I Peter does an wonderful job of making real for us the "true grace" that God has given.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Asaph,

Ever try to atriculate a smile? All I can say is that I'm excited about this--and I'm not even the one teaching it! :)

The Holy Spirit, in His non-stop, unfailing searching/permiating mission to saturate my soul to the most extreme extent He can, manages to break through my layer of caution and fear now and then and give me glimpses of the vastness of Grace.

I wonder why I seem to fear the knowledge of the extent of His grace over me?

I think that, to the extent that OT folks just dropped dead if they even accidently broke the law, Grace reaches in the opposite direction so completely that we are wholy and completely covered in everything.

I wish I knew what that meant!

What an incredible, beautiful, faithful, Loving Father we have!!

Ugg. Words are so insufficient!

God Bless, bro!

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Johnny Be Good said:
Asaph,

Ever try to atriculate a smile? All I can say is that I'm excited about this--and I'm not even the one teaching it! :)

The Holy Spirit, in His non-stop, unfailing searching/permiating mission to saturate my soul to the most extreme extent He can, manages to break through my layer of caution and fear now and then and give me glimpses of the vastness of Grace.

I wonder why I seem to fear the knowledge of the extent of His grace over me?

I think that, to the extent that OT folks just dropped dead if they even accidently broke the law, Grace reaches in the opposite direction so completely that we are wholy and completely covered in everything.

I wish I knew what that meant!

What an incredible, beautiful, faithful, Loving Father we have!!

Ugg. Words are so insufficient!

God Bless, bro!
I'm with ya man. I don't understand the articulate a smile thing, but I can see you have dipped your toe into the truth too!......:D

Here is Paul's response to it:

Rom 11:32-36
32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all. 33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
34 "For who has known the mind of the LORD?
Or who has become His counselor?"
35 "Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?"
36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.
NKJV

That's my favorite place to be, standing in abject awe and amazement of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Messiah :bow:

Grace and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
enoch son said:
Do you really know grace have you taken it to it's limits? To you understand the doctrine of all in all?
Hey ES. I'm not sure if that was for me or not, but we don't take Grace to the limits, Grace takes us beyond.

All in all? How about this from John:

1 John 3:9
9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
NKJV

Once I understood this passage, it blew me away. Or were you talking about some sort of formal doctrine?

Grace and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0

IloveJesusMyFather3:16

waiting for Jesus, my beautiful Savior, to return
Jun 14, 2004
Tennessee
✟16,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I kinda don't understand what you're talking about....

taking it to the limit - isn't that wrong? I just am trying to understand what you're saying

and

1 John 3:9
9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Does that mean that we're already forgiven?

and

Enoch Son, what verse are you talking about? sorry....
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
IloveJesusMyFather3:16 said:
I kinda don't understand what you're talking about....

taking it to the limit - isn't that wrong? I just am trying to understand what you're saying

and

Does that mean that we're already forgiven?

and

Enoch Son, what verse are you talking about? sorry....
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Already forgiven is a part of it, yes. Before the foundation of the world He chose us, knowing everything we would ever do or think. When the price was paid, it was paid in full.

Eph 1:4
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
NKJV

We are justified. It sounds kind of corny, but the best way I've ever heard the word "justified" defined is like this: It is "just as if I'd" never sinned.
We cannot sin beyond the price paid for us that wiped it out. We are free to love God without restraint.

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,575.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Grace is commonly described as "unmerited favor" God being nice to you when you don't deserve it basicly. This, however, is wholly inadequate to convey all that the grace of God is and means. Christian's are constantly over-simplifying things like salvation and the grace, and underestimating them. Largely I'm sure because these things are truly great mysteries the depths and true workings of which we will likely never understand as long as we are clothed in mortal flesh.

To teach forgiveness through grace is correct but its only a small portion of the reality. Grace is God's channel to us to enable us to all that he has for us, and all he desires us to be. Through grace God forgives us, through grace God justifies us, through grace God gives us strength, and wisdom. Through grace God calls us, and transforms us. To focus solely on any one of these or the many other elements of grace is a shame because it denies so much of the true scope and power of grace.

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Simon_Templar said:
Grace is commonly described as "unmerited favor" God being nice to you when you don't deserve it basicly. This, however, is wholly inadequate to convey all that the grace of God is and means. Christian's are constantly over-simplifying things like salvation and the grace, and underestimating them. Largely I'm sure because these things are truly great mysteries the depths and true workings of which we will likely never understand as long as we are clothed in mortal flesh.

To teach forgiveness through grace is correct but its only a small portion of the reality. Grace is God's channel to us to enable us to all that he has for us, and all he desires us to be. Through grace God forgives us, through grace God justifies us, through grace God gives us strength, and wisdom. Through grace God calls us, and transforms us. To focus solely on any one of these or the many other elements of grace is a shame because it denies so much of the true scope and power of grace.
I only disagree with you a little here ST. About the focus, I believe that most of the Christians I meet don't have a clue the scope of the forgiveness they have been given, and as a consequence they live their whole lives trying to be "good" and failing. They get caught in a never ending cycle of trying to be good, sinning, and repenting never realizing that it is through the Grace of God that freedom comes.

How many threads have you seen on this forum that are about seeking God's will? Quite a few I bet, but God's will is laid out clearly and succinctly in the scriptures. This is God's will for you, your sanctification. How do we get sanctified? Being confident of this very thing, that God will complete the work He has begun in you. Who does it? God Himself. What are we to do? Get out His way! Quit trying to be Holy and let God Make us holy.

It takes a great deal of faith. Fortunately, God delights in gifting us with faith just as much as He loves giving us every other gift. First rule, God is cool.

Grace, Mercy, and Peace,
Asaph

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.