Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
YouTube - That's Where Mercy Begins by Steve Green

Don't sell yourself short.

If God says you are worth it, then what's it matter what others say.

God can turn a dark piece of coal into a beautiful, shiny diamond & He sees the diamond in the coal even before it is transformed!

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Matt. 6:25-33 (NIV) - Study This Chapter
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Upvote 0

Sackcloth

May 28, 2009
Texas
✟314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A common perception among people, including Christians, is that God doesn't really care about the little things. In fact, God has become the excuse for many sins because we make the assumption that God doesn't have a problem with smaller things as long as we are not out committing big sins. I have even heard people say with one breath that sin is sin both big and small and in the same thought they will convince themselves that God doesn't really care about the smaller ones or that the smaller ones are not really even sin at all. It's almost like a defense mechanism to remove any guilt or thought that we could even possibly be sinners. If we simply wish the small stuff away, then we can continue to do what we want guilt free and wallow in our own self deception. So is this true? Is the God of the Bible a God that doesn't care about the little things?
Maybe our problem is that we tend to have a very human perception of God. When our own philosophy is "don't sweat the small stuff" we tend to place that same quality upon God. We tend to take all of our philosophies about life and use them to shape our view of God when God should be the one shaping our philosophies.
Should we sweat the small stuff? The quick answer is yes. When it comes to holiness and our own sanctification (becoming like Christ) we should sweat the small stuff!
Le 11:44 "I am the Lord your God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy." Le 11:45 "I am the Lord who brought you up out of Egypt to be your God; therefore be holy, because I am holy."
Le 19:2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy"
Le 20:7 "'Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God."
Le 20:26 "You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own"
1Co 1:2 "To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ--their Lord and ours."
Eph 1:4 "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love"
Heb 12:14 "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."
1Pe 1:15 "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;"
1Pe 1:16 "for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

We cannot deny that God has called us to be holy. In 1879 John Ryle wrote this:
"I have had a deep conviction for many years that practical holiness and entire self-consecration to God are not sufficiently attended to by modern Christians in this country. Politics, or controversy, or party spirit, or worldliness, have eaten out the heart of lively piety in too many of us."
I believe what was true for Ryle 127 years ago in England is true for America today. We get so caught up in worldliness and politics that personal integrity and holiness is the furthest thing from our minds. At the slightest whim, many modern day Christians in America will speed, drink, cuss, gossip, over eat, disrespect others, ignore people in need, watch inappropriate movies, listen to inappropriate music, steal from their jobs (food, envelopes, stamps, paper, whatever is taken without permission or without compensation or spending time on the internet or e-mail without actually working), steal from God (refuse to tithe), lie to people, cheat on tests, have affairs, commit sexual immorality and then go to church with no conviction or thought of repentance for the "small stuff". This attitude is prevalent among not only Christians but among those who have been called to be leaders or pastors in the church. Those in a position to lead by example are doing a good job of leading by example...its too bad they are giving the church a bad example to follow.
Does God really care if we eat too much? Is God bothered by us saying a few cuss words? Is it ok to break the law as long as it isn't a major deal? As long as you haven't killed anyone or stolen anything or hurt another human being, surely God doesn't care if you speed. I'm sure there are Christian leaders who would laugh at me for even suggesting that they no longer speed so that they might have integrity and be holy. People that have become so arrogant that their own selfish pride keeps them from even entertaining the idea that breaking or bending the law is sin. Their own self-importance blinds them to the fact that the small sins are just as debase, corrupt, and putrid before God. It is conceit that draws Christians and Christian leaders into the realm of unrepentant sin. Even Christian leaders can become so full of themselves that they think they have everything under control. They can be so pompous that they feel no need to show any reverence or humility for the small things because they are apparently "so good" at everything else. This hogwash can corrupt the best of all us. You can be an excellent pastor, preacher, teacher, and leader and still be a lousy Christian.
Being holy or sanctified is a process. It's not something that happens instantly, it is something that must be worked at every day of our lives. It is kind of like being healthy. We have to constantly watch what we eat and get plenty of exercise in order to stay fit and healthy. If we stop exercising and begin to eat whatever we want we begin to become fat and lazy. Eventually our fatness and laziness will lead to disease, sickness, and ultimately our death. To be holy we have to constantly work at dealing with our issues and sins every day of our life and when we don't we become spiritually fat and lazy.
God has called us to be holy because he is holy. This doesn't mean we are trying to achieve some human idea of holiness, we are called to achieve Godly holiness. To be like Christ, holy and blameless. This process starts with the small stuff.

nicly said Iamjcs.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge. I wonder how many people live their lives with a head knowledge only?

I have been told my whole life that I had no real value, it's a hard thing to get out of your head, hard to put real value, real worth into your heart and still know humility.

Just a thought for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I have been told my whole life that I had no real value, it's a hard thing to get out of your head.

I understand, but hopefully it helps to know that God & His actions have continuely said
since BEFORE you were born, "YOU ARE worth dying for"
even if you were the only 1 on earth.
This means God-worth no matter what others say or do.

Christ is the head, you may be the feet but the body can't get far without the feet.
On the other hand, ALL body parts of the Church of Christ are neccesary to do what we were called to do.

God gave each Christian unique gifts/talents
for us to be able to do what He has for us.
Thus each of us is unique,
but our uniqueness comes from God,
thus it is nothing to bost about.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand, but hopefully it helps to know that God & His actions have continuely said
since BEFORE you were born, "YOU ARE worth dying for"
even if you were the only 1 on earth.
This means God-worth no matter what others say or do.

Christ is the head, you may be the feet but the body can't get far without the feet.
On the other hand, ALL body parts of the Church of Christ are neccesary to do what we were called to do.

God gave each Christian unique gifts/talents
for us to be able to do what He has for us.
Thus each of us is unique,
but our uniqueness comes from God,
thus it is nothing to bost about.
I can know this in my head, have even convinced others of their worth, and yet myself I cannot convince in my heart. Maybe my heart is just hard, or maybe there were too many evils, or maybe it has to do with the contact with the abusers even now (no longer abuse as such, but still contact), I don't know....

Edit: I am content to be a mere servant in the King's court, I just long to know what it is like to be a child, a princess, a protected and cherished sister....

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Overcome by faith
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟339,019.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Romans 10:9-10...

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Romans 6:10, 12
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.

I think this is an active way of looking at ourselves, not as being an orphan in the world, but as being with Christ. The whole fact of believing the bible (the Word clearly states we ARE a child of God) contains the essence of NOT believing the lies of the devil.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.