lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An interesting question. I will admit I do not know the theologically correct answer. I do know it can feel as if they are. We are extremely blessed in our parish with our music ministry leader for whom this is a true vocation. I am pretty used to good choirs and decent music selections, but the way he enriches us and our entire parish with the spiritual uplifting.. the capella antica... it is really something that helps me each and evrey week

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You do not have to have a choir.

The Gloria and the responsorial psalm are part of the Liturgy - they are mandated .

So is the Offertory is mandated - ie the gifts are taken to the Altar - but it is not mandated that any song then is sung by the Choir.

Many Churches do not have a choir - so if their singing was mandated as being a part of the liturgy there would be an awfully large number of illicit and / or invalid Masses

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You question isn't really accurate, so I am not sure I understand what you're asking...the sung parts of the Mass are part of the liturgy. But the choir doesn't hold any sort of liturgical office or anything. The music used at Mass is subject to the guidelines of the Church.

Okay, so participating in the choir is not the same as participating in the liturgy itself? Like a lector or a Eucharistic minister?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
An interesting question. I will admit I do not know the theologically correct answer. I do know it can feel as if they are. We are extremely blessed in our parish with our music ministry leader for whom this is a true vocation. I am pretty used to good choirs and decent music selections, but the way he enriches us and our entire parish with the spiritual uplifting.. the capella antica... it is really something that helps me each and evrey week
thanks for sharing. I feel that way about it too.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Okay, so participating in the choir is not the same as participating in the liturgy itself? Like a lector or a Eucharistic minister?

Well everyone at Mass is participating. Most people reading the readings at Mass are not lectors..just people reading. But there aren't any norms or anything regarding who can sing in the choir at Mass--not Church-wide, anyway.. Individual parishes might have norms regarding it. But basically if you're allowed to be at Mass (i.e. you are breathing) you can sing in the choir.

If you are in a leadership role- a cantor, choir director, reader, etc....then you are supposed to be in good standing with the Church.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
is the choir part of the liturgy? i assume it is becuase they give the responsorial psalm and the Gloria and the offertory.

What did Jesus about about the choir singing in the background at the Last Supper ?

No, the choir is not neccessary, just ceremony.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The work of a Liturgy Committee usually includes song selection and approval, because it is important that the music be thematically appropriate to the season.

I really don't understand the question, though.

Sometimes music is part of the liturgy, sometimes it isn't. And where it is, it should blend in seamlessly and enhance rather than detract from it.

And I think that many kinds of music can fit this description.

With the new missal, some responses will have to be reworked to make the words correspond exactly to the text of the Missal. Marty Haugen's "Holy, Holy" in the Mass of Creation, for example. But that shouldn't be a big problem. Haugen writes, I believe, "God of Power, God of might."

It would have to be changed to, Lord God of Hosts.

So it would be (Lord 23456, God of Hosts) perhaps...Lord would become a dotted half note.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well everyone at Mass is participating. Most people reading the readings at Mass are not lectors..just people reading. But there aren't any norms or anything regarding who can sing in the choir at Mass--not Church-wide, anyway.. Individual parishes might have norms regarding it. But basically if you're allowed to be at Mass (i.e. you are breathing) you can sing in the choir.

If you are in a leadership role- a cantor, choir director, reader, etc....then you are supposed to be in good standing with the Church.

uh huh.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.