United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I edited my post.

QV it for more, please.

But she is obedient to God.

So that would make her Christian, if anything.

No idea why you're trying to put a pronoun on science like it's a ship, but you do you (as always).

But there's a weird thing now: you say that science is obedient to God, but in being obedient to God, science describes things that are impossible if the Bible is taken 100% literally, or however extra-literally you take it... so is science being obedient in doing so or not?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I edited my post.

QV it for more, please.

Yes, and agnostic is a neutral position. It makes no claims for or against God or any religious figure.

For your information, when I see an agnostic claim he doesn't have enough information to make a decision about God, what goes through my mind is that he is resisting the call of God to get saved.

Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

When he stands before God at the Judgement Seat, God isn't going to buy his excuses.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
For your information,

Didn't ask for your view on agnostics and I don't care.

I asked you a question, one I felt was quite pertinent:

But there's a weird thing now: you say that science is obedient to God, but in being obedient to God, science describes things that are impossible if the Bible is taken 100% literally, or however extra-literally you take it... so is science being obedient in doing so or not?

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,059.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no data, links, articles to back me up but I believe the Bible. God made the earth, visable and invisible. Adam and eve was put in the garden. A few decades later the flood happened. Noah was real, the earth is about 10,000 years old.
I have my Christian faith, that is good enough.
And IF you should meet this god, what will
be your excuse for spreading the accusation that
He is a mass murderer?

Like its pointed out that common sense
such as he gave you was given in the expectation
that you would use it?

Excuse for ignoring wiser people than yourself,
worse, ignoring the very earth itself, made by his
hand, which tells all who will but look,what is
story, and what is Truth.

What will be an excuse for mistaking
faith in your own infallible reading, for
Faith in God!

You dont even bother to kind of check to see
IF just maybe you dont actually kmow more
than every scientist on earth, and may not be infallible.

Such reckless self indulgence is nothing to
be proud of.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟90,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The poor hate the rich, the ugly hate the
beautiful, and theres those who hate the educated.

Sure, there are a lot of people hating a lot of stuff, not because there's anything wrong with the stuff, but simply because they themselves don't have it. So out of envy, and jealousy, and a sense of injustice, they project all manner of evil onto the people who do have it.

Sure, sometimes the criticism is warranted, but most of the time it isn't. It's just one person invoking their own sense of moral superiority in order to compensate for what someone has else has, that they don't. It's an easy thing to do, because anybody can claim moral superiority. The Christian can, because they're enlightened. The atheist can because they're rational. And I can... well, because I'm reasonable, and ethical, and fair.

So what are we to do. Well as the great philosopher Taylor Swift pointed out, the haters are gonna hate... so your job is to not be a hater, no matter how tempting and justified that may seem. Simply don't hate... rather, understand, tolerate, accept, and forgive.

But of course we can't do that... because then evil wins... right. Okay, so my suggestion... let evil win.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No idea why you're trying to put a pronoun on science like it's a ship, but you do you (as always).

You started it, when you said science was agnostic.

But there's a weird thing now: you say that science is obedient to God,

True science is, yes.

... but in being obedient to God, science describes things that are impossible if the Bible is taken 100% literally, or however extra-literally you take it... so is science being obedient in doing so or not?

That's the part of science that I claim is "only on paper."

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
You started it, when you said science was agnostic.

You have a gripe with that word. Not my problem when I do use it correctly.

True science is, yes.

That's the part of science that I claim is "only on paper."

Which really is just a meaningless commentary from you. All science is true or all science is "only on paper". You do not get to pick and choose what is true and what isn't.

Science describes reality as it is. That's it. And if you have a problem with that, well... I guess reality can take a hike, can't it?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟361,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Believe it or not. I will tell God I believe Jesus Christ died for my sins. That is what matters most, I need science.

I think you might mean "I don't need science".

And I do have to admit that I am worried by anyone who puts science on the same level as a religious belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,059.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Believe it or not. I will tell God I believe Jesus Christ died for my sins. That is what matters most, I need science.
Tell you what. Read the purpose of this forum.
Your posts are in the wrong place.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,166,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it does equal three. The measurement was from rim to rim and with a line around the outside of the rim. The diameter of the inside of the bowl doesn't come into it. But it doesn't matter, The kind of account that it is would not be expected to express precice measurements, anyway.

The joke is on the creationists, who scramble for some kind of an explanation for something which doesn't need explaining
Sure, it's just obvious (and I've already posted this before) that it's clearly a wrong way to interpret to attempt to assert that unless the numbers yielded a more precise ratio like 3.14 or such it would prove the bible wrong.

Some people do think that way, and...well, I'll get to that in a moment.

Obviously to me and many of us (as I've posted before) even just a very rough ratio like 3 (rounding down to 3) is good enough, in the context.

This isn't a rocket, but a bowl.

Obviously to you or me or many people it only means the bowl was about 10 cubits across and about 30 cubits in circumference.

The text wasn't ever going to be written to some odd sounding non-stylistic number like 9.7 cubits or 30.3 cubits....

And so yeah, it's pretty obvious that anyone getting caught up much in an argument about what is the right ratio as if it even mattered is a bit off the rails mentally at that moment.

Or maybe all the time (or better case, maybe autistic -- which is better, in that it's not some bad psychology, but just a temperament)...

It's sorta like arguing passionately whether the sky seems crystal blue today or just aqua blue....

I'll sure give you all of that, as it's just what I've already posted before.....,heh heh....

But, in reality we have no clue whatsoever whether they measured their circumference measurement on the inside of the bowl's thickness instead of the outside....

Perhaps the person didn't like it when he measured the outside circumference and got a number that wasn't so rounded.

So he switched to the inside inside circumference a got a more pleasant rounded number close to 30 cubits -- a nice rounded number.

So, in a way then, see the comment in the letter to Nature made sense. It was a point that might help someone overly caught up in autistic thinking where they can't understand why something less accurate than 3.14 is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟154,059.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sure, there are a lot of people hating a lot of stuff, not because there's anything wrong with the stuff, but simply because they themselves don't have it. So out of envy, and jealousy, and a sense of injustice, they project all manner of evil onto the people who do have it.

Sure, sometimes the criticism is warranted, but most of the time it isn't. It's just one person invoking their own sense of moral superiority in order to compensate for what someone has else has, that they don't. It's an easy thing to do, because anybody can claim moral superiority. The Christian can, because they're enlightened. The atheist can because they're rational. And I can... well, because I'm reasonable, and ethical, and fair.

So what are we to do. Well as the great philosopher Taylor Swift pointed out, the haters are gonna hate... so your job is to not be a hater, no matter how tempting and justified that may seem. Simply don't hate... rather, understand, tolerate, accept, and forgive.

But of course we can't do that... because then evil wins... right. Okay, so my suggestion... let evil win.
The honest pssant farmer is morally superior
to the greedy landlord.

A yec by any name is not morally superior to any
educated person just because they have faith in
themselves.

Its not all same same

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,166,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The American public were subject to a terrible April fools joke in 1998.
Amusing. Made me smile.

Re the urban myth that "the bible says pi is 3" that I've seen some repeat on the internet with credulity (as if they had found a magic elixir), I wonder if we should burst their bubble though?....

But....thinking on it again today as someone posted to me about it -- I remember I should ideally be more sympathetic to someone caught up in that kind of thinking that a ratio of 3 instead of 3.1 etc. even matters the slightest to begin with....

Instead of beating them up verbally.

As I was just recalling (that it doesn't matter to most of us) in another post from someone's comment to me and I wrote in post #513 above -- that while the ratio of 3 being less precise is of no importance 90-95% of people, as most people will have just common sense this is a bowl and the measurements are using rounded stylistic numbers. This isn't a rocket design. (grin)

But that doesn't give me carte blanche to thrash someone that gets hung up about it -- as I actually saw someone posting about this once a year or 3 back and might have thrashed them a little (I don't recall)....

So, to correct: I don't need to 'burst their bubble' cruelly for their poor thinking, but instead should attempt (if I can) to help them think better with a more friendly post....lol...sure it's a long shot maybe at times (that someone will change their thinking), but maybe this one is a case where it's easier to get them to gain a new perspective.

So, I should be kind even when someone has little sense about stylistic wording regarding numbers in the text, and wanted to trash the text. I shouldn't then trash them.

How is it we can have patience with the worst human foibles though (like a tendency to go for cheap and foolish claims (which I've actually seen on this one) that the stylistic ratio of 3 in the text disproves the Bible in some broader way) ?.....

Only by thinking of a better way, a better attitude, like that of Christ, perhaps, yes?

So, instead of thrashing them, I'll try to remember to be kind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A yec by any name is not morally superior to any educated person just because they have faith in themselves.

That's true.

Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Reactions: DJWhalen

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟16,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I have read it, and what I read is that science is debuting radioactive of uranium. Everything started out as uranium I say. Young earth or not is science you stand on. Faith and science is what is being debated. You ask me what I will say to God when I meet Him. I will say that Christ died for my sins's. What else matters, science is not important anymore. He Don't care about science anymore. He made up science to explain what is not known. Someone burrow up the flood, I trying to explain that.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟308,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who are you replying to? Use the reply button in the lower corner of a post your are responding to so we can follow the conversation.
I have read it, and what I read is that science is debuting radioactive of uranium.
The grammar is off in this sentence. Are you saying scientists are debating the radioactivity of uranium? (We aren't.)
Everything started out as uranium I say.
It did not. Uranium and its decay products are a very small fraction of the Earth or the Sun, or anything.
Young earth or not is science you stand on.
What?
Faith and science is what is being debated.
Not quite. The discussion on this thread is the physical plausibility of claims of young earth creationism.
You ask me what I will say to God when I meet Him. I will say that Christ died for my sins's.
Not on topic.
What else matters, science is not important anymore. He Don't care about science anymore. He made up science to explain what is not known.
Are you talking about god here as "he"? If so, that is not correct. The development of science by people is well documented.
Someone burrow up the flood, I trying to explain that.
Is English not your first language?

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟90,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The honest pssant farmer is morally superior
to the greedy landlord.

My point exactly, you impulsively made the peasant honest, and the landlord greedy, as if one inevitably entails the other... stop doing that. They're just people being people. Of course you can look around and find examples of rich people being greedy, and poor people being honest, because that's the way you envision them from the outset. So you'll see the evil in one and overlook it in the other.

STOP DOING THAT, or the world will continue to do what it's always done... judge that person as good, and that person as evil simply because of their religion, or their skin color, or their ethnicity, or their sexuality, or their political affiliation... and on, and on, and on without end. The only way that you can stop it, is to simply learn to understand, tolerate, accept, and forgive.

I realize that that's asking a lot. It's hard, and it's stupid, and it's doomed to failure, but loving thy neighbor didn't come with a promise that it would be easy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.