Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing Letters to Shut-in's / Elderly

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by jdw4jesus, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jdw4jesus

jdw4jesus Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a ministry where you can find addresses of shut-in's or the elderly people who would love to receive a letter or card in the mail? They are usually pretty lonely, and would love to receive an encouraging note!

Thank you in advance for your help! I have tried finding resources online, but nothing really showed up.

God Bless!

Jonathan

2. KimberlyAA

KimberlyAA New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Seventh-Day-Adventist
    That's such a great idea! I wanna know as well.

3. MattBurr

MattBurr Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I am interested to know if any solution was found for this, as God has laid it on my heart to reach out this way as well.

4. Reborn1977

Reborn1977 Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Jonathan what a wonderful idea, which must come from a wonderful heart.
    I do not know of any groups currently do this but I do have an idea for you.

Contact an assisted living facility in your area, “assisted living” because the Seniors are usually in better physical shape and could be able to write and interact with those writing to them; whereas, in a nursing home the residence could be in a more grave condition. Either way would work however, since there will be some elderly people in both who would be able to read and write for themselves without assistance. Nevertheless, contact the director of the facility – do not contact just anyone but instead contact someone who can make this decision, which will give you a greater potential for success – contact the director, explain your idea and ask him or her if they could talk with the residents about whom might be interested and put together a list of their names and the address to which you should write them.

I exhort you to be committed if God allows this to prevail and you begin. People can be fragile at the end of their lives and what they don’t need is to begin to look forward to something and then have it not manifest. Some elderly have every few visitors or little to look forward to and we must be faithful to our commitments to them once we have begun.

God speed!

This response comes from someone who has been in Fulltime Christian Ministry for 20 years and I long to help those who have misguided or misdirected by ‘wolves in sheep’s clothing’.

5. LiseyLis

LiseyLis Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    This is something I would be interested in also so if anyone finds out anything about it, let me know!

6. billiebo

billiebo Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I understand you want to give back to your elders. I run a non-profit organization called Love For The Elderly, which can be found at lovefortheelderly . tk. So many elderly citizens in our nation have no one to care for them, no one to look after them, no one to love them. We are here to change that. Love For The Elderly is a small, non-profit organization that collects anonymous letters of kindness and distributes them to elderly citizens throughout America.

We are all about giving. Designed as a way for seniors to feel loved and appreciated, people nationwide write and send us letters and cards written anonymously, which we then distribute to various retirement homes, hospitals, and senior centers. :)

7. Kazza Ah-O

Kazza Ah-O On a Journey

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hi jdw. I love your idea. Have you considered letting your church know? And the churches of any friends? Surely they would have names & addresses of members who are home-bound. Some my be reluctant to share such information.....scam artists & the like that may take advantage of the situation. I would suggest you pray the Lord go before you to prepare the way.

Would you please post if your idea gets going? I'd love to hear about your ministry doing this.