Would you shoot a home invader?

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You would not resist someone threatening or attempting to hurt a loved one?

In essence, you'd become an accessory to their demise? Just stand there as evil un-folds? You honestly believe you're glorifying a holy God, Who hates evil, and commands us to defend, protect, and speak out for those who cannot defend or speak out or defend theirself?
God can and does defend them much better than I can.

Hebrews 13:5-6 (NKJV)
5 For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." 6 So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

We are to resist Satan, not evil men. Those who don't know how to resist Satan had better learn, ASAP. Those who don't believe in resisting Satan are in DEEP trouble.

James 4:7 (NKJV)
7 Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 5:39 (NKJV) 39 "But I tell you not to resist an evil person."

These passages are talking about the "law of retaliation" (Lex Talionis). Getting one's "pound of flesh". Lext Talionis (an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth) is the foundation of all ancient and modern law and its purpose is to prevent excessive punishment based on personal vengeance and angry retaliation.

Paul explains Jesus words from Matt. 5 in Romans 12:

14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. 17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A Christian is not a "doormat".

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Explain where you see biblical figure (Jesus or Paul or any OT prophet) exhibiting doormat qualities.
The OT prophets were not under the New Covenant. Christians are.

Luke 6:27-36 (NKJV)
27 "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. 31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. 32 But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

Upvote 0

Magentic

Apr 29, 2007
✟8,307.00
Faith
Christian

27 "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. 31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. 32 But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.
Where are doormat qualities exemplified. I think your interpretation is what's walking all over your discernment.

Upvote 0

Magentic

Apr 29, 2007
✟8,307.00
Faith
Christian
Would I shoot a home invader? No. Would I give an invader the rights to my goods, sure. He would probably shoot me to get them and they aren't that important to me. Walk 2 miles with authority that demands it? Again, that's biblical. But the only real authority is Christ (NT) Did he say not to kill? Not sure

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would show my invader enemy tough love & do to him the good of putting a decisive stop to his hateful deed.
if all he needed was a cloak or a tunic, he could pick a nice one up for free at the community shelter. I wouldn't feel good about killin' him but I'd feel great about savin' my family & self.Love isn't masochistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also as far as the claim from earlier in the thread that relying on God to intervene is the same as what happened in the Temptation of Jesus, I think you should reconsider.

Christ was tempted by Satan to commit an act similar to suicide, murdering oneself. This was to test God on whether He would intervene and save Christ, not an act of faith, a TEST.

The fact that I know God is powerful enough that if a bad situation occured I could have faith He would do what was best isn't a test, it's an act of faith. Whether that means that I end up with a gun in my hand defending my family or inviting the the home invader to tea, I have no doubts that my Father in Heaven will be there effecting the situation.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
interested_in_life said:
Unfortunately that disagrees with what ebias trying to say that there isnt any judgement coming.
Please stop building straw-men. I haven't said that. I have said that when it comes it won't look like the way the world would do judgement anymore than the victory (the cross) looked like the way the world does victory.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How will you know that the home invader plans to kill you?
By his not having knocked or called ahead for starters. It's a lot safer to expect the worst & hope for the best. Best would be I sent some guy to heaven & not to hell. Even better would be he stayed out of my house or picked one that didn't belong to a gun owner.

Upvote 0