Would You Recommend Sense & Sensibility To Teach A Teen Girl Facts of Life?

Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just purchased the 2008 BBC movie version of Sense & Sensibility. I can honestly say that I find myself watching that movie over and over as much as I once watched the 1995 box office hit version.

Having watched so much, I can think of a few teenage girls who could really benefit from watching and then discussing facts of life afterward. Would this movie be considered too old-fashion to sit down and watch/discuss with a teenager of today?

BTW, any opinions on which version was a favorite? Mine was 1995 with Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant.

singlecandle

Feb 27, 2013
✟15,448.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I really enjoyed all the versions of S&S
that I watched, but I personally think
that they are still highly romanticized stories
from a woman's imagination.

I do not want to sound like a skeptic at all
but Jane Austen lived in a different time
and place. People are generally not as
civil and clear cut as the characters in her
novels.

I think Anne of Avonlea would probably
be better.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I have not seen the film or read the book so I can't comment on that.

But I had seen this thread and based on just the title was thinking about it, and thinking you were referring to the book.

But for the book I know enough to warn be very cautious, except for the very right kind of girl it would only serve to mark you as a well out of date person. BUT for the right girl it could work quite well.

I'm thinking a similar caution, though not nearly as strong, fits for the film.

Know the girl. For some teens 2005 is ancient history, others love older films.

I'd say do you homework on the specific girl(s). If they have never heard of Casablanca and hate The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind, then I think this is a bad idea. If when you mention Casablanca they real off a few more films with Bogie and Bacall I think you have your audience.

Upvote 0