Would you join this group? Why or why not?

Would you join?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I noticed a post on facebook today advertising for a group on there. This is what the group's profile says:

Group InfoName:Turn Us To god
Type:Common Interest - Religion & Spirituality
Description:We and one of our christian friends were discussing the existence of god. The four of us are atheists and constantly debating the existence of god.

Our friend made a group very similar to this one. And we agreed if he gained 15,000 members that we would seriously study Christianity and attend church regularly, and open ourselves to a higher power and Jesus Christ.

He wasn't doing to well managing and promoting the group, so as a challenge we created our own, highly doubting that it will reach the 15k members.

Please leave a message about your relationship/encounters with Christ.

Thanks,
Spencer
Dusty
Brandon
Nevin

Recent News

Our christian friend and I got into an argument of the existence of god. This is such a ridiculous group, but I agreed with my friend that if enough people joined, it truly is a sign from a higher power.

So far, the group has a little over 500 members, which means it has a lonnng way to go...

Would you join a group like this? Why or why not?

Apollonian

Anachronistic Philosopher
Dec 25, 2003
US
✟8,398.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wow, these guys have a messed up way of figuring out what Truth is. Truth is not a popularity contest. Even if they were to join the church after such a feat, I doubt it would mean the same as if they were to discover the Truth for themselves.

It will always be better to be Agnostic and honestly seeking the Truth rather than a Christian and following the mindless masses.

Upvote 0

chemica

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I doubt 15,000 votes are possible among college students. I go to a school with 35,000+ students and only a few I know are Christian, and almost none would talk openly about it. Whether this is just a phase teens-twenties go through or the rapid decline of Christians in the US, I do not know.

I would not join this group for reasons summarized by Apollonian. In some ways, this group risks becoming a mockery to Christianity.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If all you need is to click a link and not actually participate in anything you have nothing to lose. I don't think everything hangs in the balance with this, but I'd rather force the unbelievers' hands than just let it go. Of course, I don't know much about Facebook.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I doubt 15,000 votes are possible among college students. I go to a school with 35,000+ students and only a few I know are Christian, and almost none would talk openly about it. Whether this is just a phase teens-twenties go through or the rapid decline of Christians in the US, I do not know.

I would not join this group for reasons summarized by Apollonian. In some ways, this group risks becoming a mockery to Christianity.

Someone else on facebook has made a group saying that if it reaches 300,000 people by the end of the semester, he and his girlfriend will have a threesome and take photos of it. They've reached over 100,000 group members in three days since the group was created.

Another group was made earlier this week to protest some changes that were made to facebook. That group has over 700,000 members.

Upvote 0

chemica

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Someone else on facebook has made a group saying that if it reaches 300,000 people by the end of the semester, he and his girlfriend will have a threesome and take photos of it. They've reached over 100,000 group members in three days since the group was created.

Another group was made earlier this week to protest some changes that were made to facebook. That group has over 700,000 members.

lol, yes I have unfortunately heard of both these groups. I hope a christian group would have this same success, but would not expect it. The key point here is that 'college' students would be the ones joining.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
lol, yes I have unfortunately heard of both these groups. I hope a christian group would have this same success, but would not expect it. The key point here is that 'college' students would be the ones joining.

What really irritated me today was that someone I know joined the "threesome group" even though the person supposedly does not believe in premarital sex. I guess he just thought it was funny, but I think it is pretty lame to go around telling people you don't believe in sex before marriage and then join a group encouraging not two but three unmarried people to have sex and then publish the act all over the internet.

Upvote 0

chemica

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What really irritated me today was that someone I know joined the "threesome group" even though the person supposedly does not believe in premarital sex. I guess he just thought it was funny, but I think it is pretty lame to go around telling people you don't believe in sex before marriage and then join a group encouraging not two but three unmarried people to have sex and then publish the act all over the internet.

Yea, I definitely didn't join it, but read the description anyway. Apparently she asked him to raise it from 100 to 300k when she saw how fast people were joining. Fairly perverse how things are becoming nowdays. I hope it is just a joke. If its true, then it just sickens me how girls stay with guys like this. Oh well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jedi

Knight
Sep 19, 2002
United States
Visit site
✟5,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I clicked "yes" and actually joined the group. It seems a little silly to rest their investigation of truth on whether or not they can get 15,001 people to join a facebook group. It suggests they aren't that serious, but I figure my joining can only help and there's always the chance that they'll be led to Christ because they investigated Christianity further because so many people joined a facebook group.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I clicked "yes" and actually joined the group. It seems a little silly to rest their investigation of truth on whether or not they can get 15,001 people to join a facebook group. It suggests they aren't that serious, but I figure my joining can only help and there's always the chance that they'll be led to Christ because they investigated Christianity further because so many people joined a facebook group.

They got their 15001 people and about 200 more so far, then they changed the number to 150,001.

Clearly, the idea of having to seek the truth scares the crap out of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mrs. Luther073082

Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Nevin made some positive comments earlier this week and today it seems he is no longer listed as an athiest. At least the group seems to have had a good effect on one person. I left the group the other day, but I don't regret joining it.

[edit]

Here is what he said:

Nevin ******** (Wyoming) wrote
at 10:48pm September 12th, 2006
We made an agrement to look into the existance of god. Pepole have been telling us there stories, arguing science and philosophy, and criticizing us. Do what you want but I like what is going on. Regurdless of the "orgininal goal" we are all looking deeper at what we believe.

Upvote 0