Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would you be happy in heaven if every piece of literature that you know and love here on Earth were expunged from creation and every work of art were gone too and even the capacity to create similar works of art were also gone? Considering that the ten commandments - according to many - teach that creating carved images of any kind of living thing is forbidden and considering that it is alleged - by many - that any sinful thought will be impossible in heaven. Would it be possible to read literature like Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, The merchant of Venice, The Lord of the Rings, À la recherche du temps perdu, War and Peace etcetera? Is your vision of heaven sufficiently complete to assure you that culture and all that it means for human beings will survive? And what of the prediction in Peter's second letter that the Earth will be purged by fire? Will any art work, book, or building survive "the day of the Lord that will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." And what is your thinking about the question raised by Peter when he writes "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting to the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?" and the thought that "Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwells righteousness" 2 Peter 3:10-13

Beorh

Writer of Dark Literature
Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you be happy in heaven if every piece of literature that you know and love here on Earth were expunged from creation and every work of art were gone too and even the capacity to create similar works of art were also gone? Considering that the ten commandments - according to many - teach that creating carved images of any kind of living thing is forbidden and considering that it is alleged - by many - that any sinful thought will be impossible in heaven. Would it be possible to read literature like Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, The merchant of Venice, The Lord of the Rings, À la recherche du temps perdu, War and Peace etcetera? Is your vision of heaven sufficiently complete to assure you that culture and all that it means for human beings will survive? And what of the prediction in Peter's second letter that the Earth will be purged by fire? Will any art work, book, or building survive "the day of the Lord that will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." And what is your thinking about the question raised by Peter when he writes "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting to the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?" and the thought that "Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwells righteousness" 2 Peter 3:10-13

Hey, if Eternal Life isn't so utterly different from what we know and have known here for however long we've been here (I say at least 50,000 years--others say as little as 6,000), then I don't want to go. Why would I if it's just going to be like in that silly Unitarian Universalist film What Dreams May Come?

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey, if Eternal Life isn't so utterly different from what we know and have known here for however long we've been here (I say at least 50,000 years--others say as little as 6,000), then I don't want to go. Why would I if it's just going to be like in that silly Unitarian Universalist film What Dreams May Come?
Life has been good for me so I have no strong desire to be cut off from all that I enjoy here on Earth. Maybe heaven is so good that Earthly enjoyment will seem unimportant but the scriptures do not explain it so it is all guess work here in this life.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Isaiah 65:17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.

All of it will be gone, and not even worthy of a memory.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The main focus of eternity will be Christ. If He's not sufficient, then you may want to check yourself spiritually.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you be happy in heaven if every piece of literature that you know and love here on Earth were expunged from creation and every work of art were gone too and even the capacity to create similar works of art were also gone? Considering that the ten commandments - according to many - teach that creating carved images of any kind of living thing is forbidden and considering that it is alleged - by many - that any sinful thought will be impossible in heaven.

The 10C forbids making images for worshipping. It does not forbid artistic work.

Do remember that the earth is going to be destroyed, that it is merely a copy of the heavenly earth which is part of the new creation.

Will inanimate objects be saved. I doubt it, but as perfect beings, but still distinct individuals we will be able to worship and serve God through art etc.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,147,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd be fine with that. My main desire for Heaven is to be near: 1) JESUS, 2) Loved ones, and 3) other saints. I don't know whether or not I'll miss remnants of the past world, even small ones like classic literature, but I know I'll be fine with or without them, either way.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

39 million people are blind.
Likely some are looking forward to the next life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you be happy in heaven if...

Yes, we will be happy in Heaven. You cannot create valid
reasons that would counter the joy of being with God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beorh

Writer of Dark Literature
Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Life has been good for me so I have no strong desire to be cut off from all that I enjoy here on Earth. Maybe heaven is so good that Earthly enjoyment will seem unimportant but the scriptures do not explain it so it is all guess work here in this life.

True. All we do have is the consolation of the Holy Spirit on occasion to give us glimpses, but eye has not seen nor has any ear heard the things which God has prepared for those who love him. Yet, God has revealed these things to us by his Spirit, for the Spirit searches all things, yes, even the deep things of God.

We all use gifts brought to us by the Fallen Angels--ironwork being a huge one, and even makeup designed for seduction (sadly). But Jesus himself used iron--and in fact iron assisted in his Death via nails. So, we use what we have here and ask God to bless it though its origins may have been less than glorious.

• Informative
Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What of human culture; does it matter?
NO!

1Co. 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I think I would prefer what is to come, rather than what has past.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I definitely wouldn't be happy. At all. Things like that are a large part of my enjoyment.

Heaven as it's often portrayed seems like you're brainwashed to only want to worship God and nothing else. Therefore it's like your personality is changed, and you aren't you.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
NO!

1Co. 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I think I would prefer what is to come, rather than what has past.

And can you tell for sure "what is to come" that isn't just "we'll only be focused on worshipping God forever and nothing else" vagueness?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
True. All we do have is the consolation of the Holy Spirit on occasion to give us glimpses, but eye has not seen nor has any ear heard the things which God has prepared for those who love him. Yet, God has revealed these things to us by his Spirit, for the Spirit searches all things, yes, even the deep things of God.

We all use gifts brought to us by the Fallen Angels--ironwork being a huge one, and even makeup designed for seduction (sadly). But Jesus himself used iron--and in fact iron assisted in his Death via nails. So, we use what we have here and ask God to bless it though its origins may have been less than glorious.

Um, how in the world were those gifts brought to us by fallen angels? I don't think there's any historical, logical, or Biblical support for that.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we will be happy in Heaven. You cannot create valid
reasons that would counter the joy of being with God.

And what is "the joy of being with God" are were brainwashed to forget everything we loved in the world and only want to worship God and his glory, therefore making God out to be a controlling egomaniac?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 65:17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.

All of it will be gone, and not even worthy of a memory.

Then we lose who we are? And all our memories?

In that case, then God's "judgement" of us makes no sense if we forget all of that. That's basically being brainwashed. We won't be us anymore.

Sounds more like a form of hell than heaven to me.

• Useful
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Would you be happy in heaven if every piece of literature that you know and love here on Earth were expunged from creation and every work of art were gone too and even the capacity to create similar works of art were also gone? Considering that the ten commandments - according to many - teach that creating carved images of any kind of living thing is forbidden

Extreme misreading of the text might get you there - but they had carved images of Angels in the Hebrews sanctuary and images of angels engraved on the curtains.

the Commandment is ONE in the actual Bible - it says

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

It is ONE Commandment that deal with making a carved image then bowing down and promising to serve those it represents. The Jews also numbered it as ONE command - long before there was the first Christian.

and considering that it is alleged - by many - that any sinful thought will be impossible in heaven.

2 Cor 10:4-5 "taking every THOUGHT captive to the obedience of Christ".

There is no forgiveness of sin after the Revelation 15:8 point where Christ leaves the Sanctuary and his role as Mediator and High Priest.

Upvote 0