✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think Pope Francis said he would.
The universe is so massive, and we've seen so little of it. FTL travel may or may not be physically possible with the right technology.

If there are aliens, and these aliens were capable of learning and reasoning like humans, would they be welcome in the Eastern Orthodox Church?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The universe is so massive, and we've seen so little of it. FTL travel may or may not be physically possible with the right technology.

If there are aliens, and these aliens were capable of learning and reasoning like humans, would they be welcome in the Eastern Orthodox Church?
That's not a question we have to debate until it happens. :D

But seriously ... part of the whole story of man's history and salvation includes the fall of man through sin, the fall of the created order because of our position as priests over creation, Christ's entry into human flesh and redemption of mankind, and so on.

Aliens aren't part of that. Did they fall? Did Christ redeem them in some way? That's His business. If they even exist.

Asking such questions reminds me of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, or whether God can create a rock too big for Himself to lift.

Ask your priest. But it's more important to look at why such questions concern you - since you are asking - than the actual answer, since it will probably never come up.

Only the theological points behind it are worth understanding, and we don't need to invoke outer-space aliens to understand them.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps, but love hopes for the truth and what is best.
Since there are no 'aliens from another planet' (the devil's deception),
we can hope or try to turn the conversation to what is good and true and edifying, right ? In line with all of God's Word.
One always hopes ...

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟174,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Aliens from another country, legal or illegal, should be immersed as soon as they turn to Jesus repenting of their sins and wanting to serve Him, right ?

I took the OP to mean Aliens, as in beings from another PLANET, not a different corner of THIS one.. And my reply was also referring to beings from another planet.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
According to Scripture, it can't happen.

Please note the :D

Maybe not - not if the motive power reason behind such points is opposed to Jesus.

I don't think our brother has any bad motives. He's pretty newly trying to sort all this out. The best we can do is try to offer constructive answers. :)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Harry Harrison wrote an interesting sci-fi story that discusses evangelizing aliens on another planet from a Roman Catholic priest’s and an atheist trader’s perspective - The Streets of Ashkelon - and the harm it might do.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
to the OP, no. they are animals, have no nous, and therefore no baptism.
Even if there were intelligent aliens?
I suppose I shouldn't have asked the question knowing the majority of responses would be from protestants and those that don't believe in evolution like I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if there were intelligent aliens?
I suppose I shouldn't have asked the question knowing the majority of responses would be from protestants and those that don't believe in evolution like I.

intelligence is not the issue. the issue is only humans are both material and noetic, which is why we are baptized.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is for men. Christ became human. We dont' baptize non-human life on earth, so why would we on some other planet?

Aliens are demons.

yep, I would only add they could be natural phenomena too, in addition to demonic delusion.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But I'm not debating you, you are debating me

You started the debate not me.

you posted something contrary to Orthodox teaching, I responded just in case someone thought you spoke for us. I brought up the debate forum because that is where you can post stuff contrary to what we teach.

Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@ArmyMatt Since God created the universe and everything all, do you think God allowed life on other planets?

Because other Eastern Orthodox people teach they are angels I am not breaking any rule so please dont debate with me.
Never heard such a thing.
A angel is a angel fallen or not

If they can be fallen or not is irrelevant
What? How is it not irrelevant? What good does a fallen angel (demon) want to do for man?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@ArmyMatt Since God created the universe and everything all, do you think God allowed life on other planets?

maybe, I dunno. but if it is out there it's just as much an animal as anything on here, even if incredibly advanced. I have yet to see anything to convince me they are out there though.

• Haha
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptizable——Vulcans, Bajorans, Andorians, Melkotians, Tellarites, Orions, Betazoids, even Klingons

Unbaptizable——Romulans, Borg, Kardassians, Ferengi, Maquis, Q Continuum, Tholians

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,476,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't win, but when you come on here and start posting before reading our forum rules, then not reading the actual other posts in the thread or the links you give to back up your point, it does make the discussion quite hard.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.