Would this happen in an Orthodox church?

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I dont know if you guys have heard of Charles Stanley but hes a well known Baptist and also has been president of the Southern baptist convention 2 times. His wife left him after around 50 years. and many of the members of his church wanted him to step down as head pastor. Baptist are a independent lot, the Southern convention does not have a set of rules for all churches. So these kinda things are up to the local church. I thank the Lord my church is not like this. if it were I would probably find another.
just thought I would give a Baptist point of view. most of that kinda stuff with the Baptist is the small town Andy Griffin gossip stuff.

God Bless you folks , Billy

Hi, Billy. :wave:

I was in the SBC for the first 37 years of my life, so I understand what you are saying. I've seen it go both ways.

God bless!

Mary

Upvote 0

wpbarrett

Striving for perfection in Christ Jesus
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
✟25,107.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
hello back at you guys, no offense was taken here. I agree with you. I've seen some really good people take heat over such things in churches and its just not right. you folks always make me feel welcome here and I want to take this time to thank you.

God Bless

Upvote 0

TheCunctator

Dio, abbi pietà su questa anima miserabile!
Dec 8, 2009
✟16,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
hello back at you guys, no offense was taken here. I agree with you. I've seen some really good people take heat over such things in churches and its just not right. you folks always make me feel welcome here and I want to take this time to thank you.

God Bless

These guys here are something pretty special. Which is why I stay here.

Upvote 0

Coralie

but behold, there cometh one after me
Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

God Bless

:hug:

Welcome to TAW!

Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Anyway, the congregation subsequently fired the man because their rules don't allow for a divorced Pastor. Apparently, it doesn't matter that he did nothing wrong and can hardly be expected to keep a woman prisoner in his home if she decides to leave and file for a divorce.

So, the Pastor is fired, their daughter who was attending college based on scholarships for the children of Pastors is now being forced out of school over this, and the congregation gets to stew in their little pit of self-righteousness.

I was, to be quite blunt, sickened and ashamed that people who call themselves Christian, could behave like this. I'm also almost certain similar situations have come up with married Priests in the Orthodox church. Does anyone know how this kind of thing would be handled?

Can you post his first name so that he can be prayed for? It sounds like he and his remaining family could use the support.

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Can you post his first name so that he can be prayed for? It sounds like he and his remaining family could use the support.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. The Pastor's name is Craig. I don't think he'd mind me posting his name, and I'm sure he and his family can use all the prayers and support they can get.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Lord have mercy on Craig and his family!

Within the Orthodox Church, it would rest on the authority of the Bishop as to whether or not to keep the priest at the current parish or move him to another parish. It would all depend on the circumstances of the divorce, and how it potentially affected the community.

Unless some atrocious act had been committed (i.e. rape, murder, etc.) the priest would not be defrocked. But again, this would all be up to the discretion of the Bishop.

It's not for us to judge others. This is tragic for everyone that is involved.

May the Lord have mercy on us all!

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, I was talking with my mom this morning and she told me a most disheartening story.

Most of my family is Baptist and at a nearby church affiliated with theirs, they had a bit if a scandal over their Pastor.

Apparently, the Pastor's wife had an affair and decided to leave him and get a divorce. She had done this a couple times before but he had forgiven her and sought counseling rather than either of them going in for a divorce.

Anyway, the congregation subsequently fired the man because their rules don't allow for a divorced Pastor. Apparently, it doesn't matter that he did nothing wrong and can hardly be expected to keep a woman prisoner in his home if she decides to leave and file for a divorce.

So, the Pastor is fired, their daughter who was attending college based on scholarships for the children of Pastors is now being forced out of school over this, and the congregation gets to stew in their little pit of self-righteousness.

I was, to be quite blunt, sickened and ashamed that people who call themselves Christian, could behave like this. I'm also almost certain similar situations have come up with married Priests in the Orthodox church. Does anyone know how this kind of thing would be handled?

Without getting into details, I can attest to the fact that something like this has happened. It seems the wife married the man (who is a priest) more for the greencard. They have kids in college and high school. She left him. The parish already didn't like him at all (I thought he was a good guy but he was very stern and did not budge on his decisions... he didn't play the political game right). He was forced out for other reasons but at the same time as the divorce so I am sure the two were not totally disconnected. In the OC, often times when there is a divorce even when it is only the fault of one party, there is still a time of penance for the innocent party because a sacrament was broken. It offers time to heal and reflect. But this is generally pastoral in nature. This priest is still a priest but without a parish. he fills in at the monastery and some other parishes when needed but has a secular job.

It is truly sad on two accounts: the wife leaving him as she did and the parish treating him like they did (it was ugly for years). However, as far as him no longer remaining at the parish and that being connected, that's the bishop's call. I know it doesn't seem fair from our POV, but we have to think of the scandal that can cause in someone's heart. Also, as much as I respect this preist and believe I know the whole story, it's always possible I don't. I guarentee you that there are things about EVERY married couple you know (inlcuding your parents) that you don't know about and never will.

It's sad that the girl loses the scholarship and the dad is without a job. It's tragic and if the mom is totally at fault then she will ahve a lot to answer for one day. But I can't judge the parish you speak of for having done what they did becuase I just don't know the entire story and there are so many things to take into account.

Being a priest or a pastor offers very little security in life. You can be changed to a new parish and have to uproot your family at a moment's notice or things like this can happen. Your life is constantly scruitinzed by everyone. Good or bad, that is always the reality. And a leader of a Church should be beyond repproach and have their family in order as the Bible says.

Still that doesn't make it "fair" for the dad or the daughter. How sad!

Josh

Upvote 0