Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Today I was listening to the radio in my car and a song by one of my all time favorite bands came on. It was "Everybody Hurts" by REM. This is inarguably the worst song ever recorded.

Why? It's because of the context. The idea of the song is kind of nice. But I wonder if anyone has ever really felt touched by this song in a positive way. I can't see it happening, due to the singer/writer being Michael Stipe.

Probably the most messed up singer on the planet, at least spiritually, mentally, emotionally. It's like a really messed up guy telling you that if you feel sad it's okay because he does too. Well, that's not very encouraging, is it?

It's like in school if you get picked on one day, the class nerd says, "Hey, don't feel bad, it happens to me all the time. You're not alone."

Not only that, but I get the feeling Michael Stipe just doesn't like most people. Especially normal, everyday people just trying to get by. If you're a weirdo artist like him you might be okay. But if you've ever laughed at a sitcom, you should be shot. If you've ever talked about sports or worn a basebal cap, you should be despised.

I get the feeling this song probably appeals to about twenty or thirty people, tops, and Stipe knows them all personally.

Reactions: Moros

lostchildhood

Jun 4, 2006
✟7,960.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
radhead said:
Today I was listening to the radio in my car and a song by one of my all time favorite bands came on. It was "Everybody Hurts" by REM. This is inarguably the worst song ever recorded.

Why? It's because of the context. The idea of the song is kind of nice. But I wonder if anyone has ever really felt touched by this song in a positive way. I can't see it happening, due to the singer/writer being Michael Stipe.

Probably the most messed up singer on the planet, at least spiritually, mentally, emotionally. It's like a really messed up guy telling you that if you feel sad it's okay because he does too. Well, that's not very encouraging, is it?

It's like in school if you get picked on one day, the class nerd says, "Hey, don't feel bad, it happens to me all the time. You're not alone."

Not only that, but I get the feeling Michael Stipe just doesn't like most people. Especially normal, everyday people just trying to get by. If you're a weirdo artist like him you might be okay. But if you've ever laughed at a sitcom, you should be shot. If you've ever talked about sports or worn a basebal cap, you should be despised.

I get the feeling this song probably appeals to about twenty or thirty people, tops, and Stipe knows them all personally.
i like the song, it is a sad one, but it is the truth everbody at some point in their lives is depressed, down in the dumps or have been hurt in some way. I think it if ok for guys to admit to feeling hurt, sad or in pain,etc. It does not show a bad ex. it show a good one. real man our the ones who are not afaid to tell you how their are feeling. I think that is what the singer had in mind. but that is just my opinion lostchildhood

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But I wonder if anyone has ever really felt touched by this song in a positive way.
Haven't heard that great quote:
"Shared pain is half pain. Shared joy is double joy" have you?
Somethings:
1) The production on that song is tops...everything is put together fantastically. Buck (I think he's the producer) does a rather PERFECT job!
2) Whether Stipe appeals as a singer is of little concequence so claiming "inarguable the worst song" sorta sets yourself up for a tongue lashing. There are a TONNE of GREAT REM songs that he (SHOCK!) sings on.
3)
Probably the most messed up singer on the planet, at least spiritually, mentally, emotionally
pfffffffffffffffffffffffftt!

4)
Great! Well done! Looks like we're dealing with a class act here "the class nerd comforts you and you're supposed to feel better"?:thumbsup: Fella, you are either STILL in high school, or you have a completely perverted grasp on human interaction and relationships. Maybe someday you will need to hear that someone shares your grief. It seems you're lucky you haven't had anything REALLY bad happen to you. Oh well.

If you're a weirdo artist like him you might be okay. But if you've ever laughed at a sitcom, you should be shot. If you've ever talked about sports or worn a basebal cap, you should be despised.
Whereas, if you sing about comforting grieving folks, you should expect to hear "you don't like most people".

Upvote 0

HolyOne87

Call Me A Sinner, Call Me A Saint..
Jun 2, 2006
✟18,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
AFallingStar said:
Never heard the song before, but I highly doubt I'd find it worse than any Pussycat Dolls song...

Just my opinion.

i agree. I get annoyed everytime i hear anything by the PCD :mad:..lol..especially "stick with you" or "Don't Cha"..soo annoying to hear over and over and over again! I am getting a headache just thinking about it(my apologies to those that actually listen to them)

Upvote 0

ExiledSoul

Damn my eyes
Jun 12, 2006
CT, USA
✟11,353.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
radhead said:
But I wonder if anyone has ever really felt touched by this song in a positive way.
1993--"Everybody Hurts"--Billboard Modern Rock Tracks--#21
1993--"Everybody Hurts"--Billboard Top 40 Mainstream--#13
1993--"Everybody Hurts"--Billboard Hot 100--#29

"Automatic For The People"--4X Platinum--February 9, 1995

It obviously touched enough people. It is a very good song.

radhead said:
It's like a really messed up guy telling you that if you feel sad it's okay because he does too. Well, that's not very encouraging, is it?

I certainly wouldn't find it encouraging for the exact opposite person, someone barely messed up at all, to tell you it's ok to feel sad because they do. What would they know about it?

Upvote 0
D

DharmaBum

lostchildhood said:
i like the song, it is a sad one, but it is the truth everbody at some point in their lives is depressed, down in the dumps or have been hurt in some way. I think it if ok for guys to admit to feeling hurt, sad or in pain,etc. It does not show a bad ex. it show a good one. real man our the ones who are not afaid to tell you how their are feeling. I think that is what the singer had in mind. but that is just my opinion lostchildhood

Agree.

In bold, The First Noble Truth.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I really don't understand the OP's point at all, but I don't really like "Everybody Hurts" either. Listen to "Murmur" if you want good REM.

But that's neither here nor there, since the worst song of all time is without a doubt Billy Joel's craptacular "We Didn't Start the Fire."

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I liked Stipe in the early REM days of "Murmur". But I don't like his persona or the things he stood for later on. Maybe I even recognize things in him that I don't like in myself.

Give me a break. I've kept this to myself for over 10 years, however long this song has been out. I guess it's just been slowly eating at me all this time.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. You should take what I say lightly if you don't agree.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I dunno homesly.
In your op..it doesn't sound like his "soul" has much to do with your argument (even though you mention it).
You seem to begrudge his gayness (though he is bisexual). You have a very REAL problem with the fact that he may (or may not) act condescendingly towards "joe blow".

If you have a problem with Stipe, then you should call the thread "my problem with Stipe" or "Stipe sucks" or (perchance) something even wittier.

But I gotta tell you, Everybody hurts is WAY far away from the worst pop song ever.

He's friends with BIG artists of the last decade (Natalie merchant, Kurt Cobain, Thom Yorke, old friend of River Phoenix). He recently released a single for the Hurricane Katrina Benefit with Chris Martin.

when you say "what he stands for" or "his persona" do you think you could describe it a bit more? Maybe even give the name of a decent book to read?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
modhat.gif

Mod Hat On

A few posts have been edited in this topic due to baiting. Let's try to remember that it isn't necessary to bait one another in order to have a good debate over music. We can have a good time without attacking or provoking.

"And be ye kind one to another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

Let's have fun! :clap:

Thank you.
Adiya
Moderator, Friendship Team

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

white_frog914

I love you but I'm still a liar
Oct 4, 2004
Kokomo, Indiana
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
ExiledSoul said:
whoa is everyone forgetting that in 1996 the macarena came to light? not to mention it spent 14 weeks at #1 *shudders*
True, but I was 11 at the time and totally learned the dance to that.

I can still do it too. And I know all the lyrics.

*hides*

Also : YES! For once I'M not the one getting in trouble!

Upvote 0