Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However the creation account uses names for things accomplished in different sections that are later then called a single yom. And because of the fact that, in Hebrew, proper nouns do not allow the definite article, (because they are already emphatic), we can see where the shamayim, (heavens), and eretz, (earth), are the nouns or where the same terms are the proper nouns, that is the names. The shamayim and the eretz were not created in the same yom but each has its own yom wherein it was created, and yet they are stated to have been created in the same yom at the close of the opening passage.

Creation and naming of Shamayim, (Heavens).

Genesis 1:8 KJV
8 And God called the firmament Heaven [Shamayim]. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Creation and naming of Eretz, (Earth).

10 And God called the dry land Earth; [Eretz] and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Both of these are anarthrous, (without the definite article), because they are proper nouns, names:

Shamayim-Heavens = Yom Sheni (Second Day)
Eretz-Earth = Yom Shelishi (Third Day)

In the following statement we find both arthrous and anarthrous usages of these two terms:

Genesis 2:4 YLT
4 These are births of the heavens and of the earth in their being prepared, in the day of Jehovah God's making earth and heavens;

I have quoted the Young's Literal Translation in the above because it does not add the definite article to the second occurrences of Eretz-Earth and Shamayim-Heavens, which is correct according to the Hebrew text and grammar, (but they should have been capitalized in English), and which reveals that these two second instances are the proper nouns, that is, the names given to them in the opening passages quoted previously above herein. And yet, look what the text says, IN THE DAY wherein YHWH Elohim made Earth (Eretz) and Heavens (Shamayim).

This can really only mean one thing because Eretz and Shamayim were not made in the same yom, but rather, Shamayim-Heavens were made in Yom Sheni, (Second Yom), and Eretz was made in Yom Shelishi, (Third Yom), and that one thing that it means is that in the opening creation account there are seven yamim, (yom-hours), in the full yom-day: for only in this manner may it be said that Elohim made Eretz and Shamayim in a single yom-day. The only way around this is to play dumb or to ignore the Hebrew text and grammar and choose an English translation that says something else one prefers in order to support a preferred paradigm.

Genesis 2:4 KJV
4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

There you go, abracadabra, problem solved: just insert the article where it is not found and the differences dissappear.
It's given as one literal day, in Hebrew or English..

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's given as one literal day, in Hebrew or English..

The same thing happens in the twelve yom-hour civil calendar day: all twelve offerings are presented in the one yom-day wherein the altar was anointed, each of the twelve princes of the twelve tribes in his own yom-hour. Yet the many will twist and contort themselves into pretzels in order to make it mean twelve twenty-four hour days in the day wherein the altar was anointed. It's downright comical: even wannabe prophets and prophetesses are not immune to such distortion.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The same thing happens in the twelve yom-hour civil calendar day: all twelve offerings are presented in the one yom-day wherein the altar was anointed, each of the twelve princes of the twelve tribes in his own yom-hour. Yet the many will twist and contort themselves into pretzels in order to make it mean twelve twenty-four hour days in the day wherein the altar was anointed. It's downright comical: even wannabe prophets and prophetesses are not immune to such distortion.
It is amazingly strange when one encounters wannabe prophets and prophetesses who claim a true anointing from the Almighty and, therefore, place themselves above any form of criticism. If they are at all clever about it, as some are, they avoid making any predictions concerning future events, thereby avoid the obvious means of determining whether or not they are true or false prophets or prophetesses.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is amazingly strange when one encounters wannabe prophets and prophetesses who claim a true anointing from the Almighty and, therefore, place themselves above any form of criticism. If they are at all clever about it, as some are, they avoid making any predictions concerning future events, thereby avoid the obvious means of determining whether or not they are true or false prophets or prophetesses.

Most everything that literalist-futurists claim to be future is already fulfilled in Meshiah in the Gospel accounts: what remains is for they themselves to run their race to the end, as taught in the scripture. However, just in case you might be hinting at me, I neither claim nor imagine myself to be any sort of prophet, and neither do I wannabe. :)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most everything that literalist-futurists claim to be future is already fulfilled in Meshiah in the Gospel accounts: what remains is for they themselves to run their race to the end, as taught in the scripture. However, just in case you might be hinting at me, I neither claim nor imagine myself to be any sort of prophet, and neither do I wannabe. :)
That actually never entered my mind. I agree with you that what remains for all of us is to run our race to the end. Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,260.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Moses was just a man, but the One who wrote the Commandments on the Two Tables was the Creator who made the Sabbath, so its at the core of the conflict of true worship.

I find it amazing how many people brush aside the very Words of God. Like we have authority over Him, or that we would know better than He, what is His holy day. God never deemed any other day holy except the Sabbath. God never blessed or sanctified any other day except the Sabbath. Once God blesses something man cannot reverse Num 23:20 so one would need a thus saith the Lord and our words are not equal to God's.

There is nothing in the New Covenant where God changed His mind about His Sabbath day, that is a commandment. None of these verses you quoted changes anything, but I would like to note the teaching of Jesus and what He considers false worship (worshipping in vain) as we are to worship Him in Truth and all of His commandments are Truth Psa 119:151

Jesus quotes directly from the Ten Commandments stating when we keep our traditions over the commandments of God one worships in vain and our heart is far from Him- the opposite of the New Covenant- God's law in our hearts Heb 8:10 This is an important principle Jesus is applying to the Ten Commandments that He said in another teaching we are not to break the least of these commandments or teach others and it affects our status in heaven. Mat 5:19-30

Matt 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father [a]or mother.’ Thus you have made the [b]commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

We see the opposite of this as true worship

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

We need the same faith of Jesus.

Jesus kept the Sabbath, the apostles kept the Sabbath, His faithful followers kept the Sabbath according to the commandment. The change of God's Sabbath did not happen in scripture, but it was predicted in scripture it would happen, not by God. Dan 7:25 God has a faithful remnant who still keep His commandments Rev 12:17 which is why we should never follow the popular teachings of man over the teachings of God.

I never feel uneasy keeping the Sabbath. It's joy to me. I love going to church on Sabbath.
Allow me to present an alternative perspective on the topic of Sabbath worship. Would you be willing to share how you honor the Sabbath in accordance with God's commandments rather than merely following human traditions? It's worth noting that attending church services, while common, is not explicitly commanded, as emphasized by Jesus in Matthew 15:9, where he warns against keeping human-made instructions as vain worship.

Consider the example of Jesus and the Apostles, who indeed attended the temple and synagogues on the Sabbath. However, these places were not dedicated to worshipping Jesus; rather, they were environments where Jesus faced opposition, ultimately leading to his crucifixion. Their actions often aimed to challenge the prevailing beliefs and practices of religious leaders. Shouldn't we, then, emulate their approach by extending our efforts to other denominations or idol worshippers where there may be misunderstanding or falsehood during the Sabbath day, following the example set by Jesus and the Apostles? - Even so, that wasn't a commandment regarding the Sabbath.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Moses was just a man, but the One who wrote the Commandments on the Two Tables was the Creator who made the Sabbath, so its at the core of the conflict of true worship.
You mean the central conflict of the ages between God and all-against God is which day of the week we worship on?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Allow me to present an alternative perspective on the topic of Sabbath worship. Would you be willing to share how you honor the Sabbath in accordance with God's commandments rather than merely following human traditions? It's worth noting that attending church services, while common, is not explicitly commanded, as emphasized by Jesus in Matthew 15:9, where he warns against keeping human-made instructions as vain worship.

Consider the example of Jesus and the Apostles, who indeed attended the temple and synagogues on the Sabbath. However, these places were not dedicated to worshipping Jesus; rather, they were environments where Jesus faced opposition, ultimately leading to his crucifixion. Their actions often aimed to challenge the prevailing beliefs and practices of religious leaders. Shouldn't we, then, emulate their approach by extending our efforts to other denominations or idol worshippers where there may be misunderstanding or falsehood during the Sabbath day, following the example set by Jesus and the Apostles? - Even so, that wasn't a commandment regarding the Sabbath.
What did Jesus say was worshipping in vain? Keeping the commandments are man over the commandments of God as He quoted directly from the Ten Commandments. Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13

I pray you are not trying to make the case that Jesus and the apostle worshipped in vain by going to church every Sabbath Luke 4:16 Acts 18:4 Acts 13:42-44 preaching and teaching God's Word as an example of how to keep the Sabbath day holy.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,260.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What did Jesus say was worshipping in vain? Keeping the commandments are man over the commandments of God as He quoted directly from the Ten Commandments. Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13

I pray you are not trying to make the case that Jesus and the apostle worshipped in vain by going to church every Sabbath Luke 4:16 Acts 18:4 Acts 13:42-44 preaching and teaching God's Word as an example of how to keep the Sabbath day holy.
Your referenced verse does not explicitly state that attending church every Sabbath is a commandment or an example of how to keep the Sabbath day holy. Instead, it is mentioned as a custom. When does the Bible ever assert that going to church equates to keeping the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I see two possible difficulties here. First, there is virtually no possibility today of finding a place on Saturdays were there is an assembly of people, perhaps other than SDA, who one could address in an effort to correct misunderstanding or falsehood. If one were to attend a Saturday evening Catholic mass or service in a denomination which offers them on Saturday evenings, then one must face the fact that the Sabbath is over at sundown, thus limiting such efforts to summer months. If one were to attempt to address such an assembly one would be quickly expelled and possibly arrested for disturbing the peace. Jesus and the apostles were permitted, and even invited, to speak to these assemblies.

The better point is that latter-day Sabbatarians, as you have correctly noted, have invented their own traditions in an effort to produce a form of godliness which God never commanded. The problem for religious folks is that resting and doing nothing every Saturday rubs against the grain of our efforts to please God and gain merit in His eyes.

Reactions: Cornelius8L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums