World of Warcraft. evil?

TheBrad

May 25, 2006
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
hello all, I have recently accepted Christ into my my life about 2 months ago. I have been living with a Christian family for about 4 months, and before I became saved I was an atheist, now on the subject of World Of warcraft and other games, I find that my father does not approve of this game at all, so I am asking, should I as a Christian who wants to stay in the light, be playing world of wacraft?

He does not approve of this game because----

it has magic in it
it has demons in it.
there are names that sound demonic.
you can play as a warlock.
he believes games have a spiritual side to them and that Satan will corrupt people in any form he can and what would stop him from coming through as something as "its just a game"
he says he sees nothing but evil and darkness coming from the game and to stay away.
He asks "where does that magic those characters are using come from? it sure isn't coming from god.
he saw the night elf on the main world of wacraft site and wondered why she hardly had anything on.
The word "warcraft" sounds like "witchcraft"

This applies to all games that have magic in any form present in the game, thus making the game evil and should not be played.

As I have said I'm just a baby in Christ, I have been playing this game since around December 04 and now I find myself being unable to play this game at all as long as I live in his house. I've never practiced witchcraft in real life and I don't necessarily see myself corrupted from this game, and I've never been addicted to the game(he says people are addicted to this game because Satan has gotten a foothold on them through this game) everything I say to him in regards to defending the game is rejected and I'm told "I'm just saying all this because I want to play the game and I do not want to see the truth" .

So, is what he says correct and that I should not play this game? I'm struggling with this, when I was a non-Christian I had no limits other than what my own interpretation of right and wrong were, and for this game I don't believe it to be evil. but now that I'm Christian, I want to do what is right in god's eyes.

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. I am a Christian, and I enjoy the game. As do many other Christians. There are even Christian guilds.

3. If playing a game with magic in it is as evil as practicing *real* magic, then surely giving homeless people in the game some food is the same as giving homeless people in the real world some food. If you can understand the absurdity of the latter statement, you can understand the absurdity of the former.

3. Look up Romans 14. You should find that passage helpful here.

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TheBrad said:
hello all, I have recently accepted Christ into my my life about 2 months ago. I have been living with a Christian family for about 4 months, and before I became saved I was an atheist, now on the subject of World Of warcraft and other games, I find that my father does not approve of this game at all, so I am asking, should I as a Christian who wants to stay in the light, be playing world of wacraft?

He does not approve of this game because----

it has magic in it
it has demons in it.
he believes games have a spiritual side to them and that Satan will corrupt people in any form he can and what would stop him from coming through as something as "its just a game"
he says he sees nothing but evil and darkness coming from the game and to stay away.
He asks "where does that magic those characters are using come from? it sure isn't coming from god.
he saw the night elf on the main world of wacraft site and wondered why she hardly had anything on.

This applies to all games that have magic in any form present in the game, thus making the game evil and should not be played.

As I have said I'm just a baby in Christ, I have been playing this game since around December 04 and now I find myself being unable to play this game at all as long as I live in his house. I've never practiced witchcraft in real life and I don't necessarily see myself corrupted from this game, and I've never been addicted to the game(he says people are addicted to this game because Satan has gotten a foothold on them through this game) everything I say to him in regards to defending the game is rejected and I'm told "I'm just saying all this because I want to play the game and I do not want to see the truth" .

So, is what he says correct and that I should not play this game? I'm struggling with this, when I was a non-Christian I had no limits other than what my own interpretation of right and wrong were, and for this game I don't believe it to be evil. but now that I'm Christian, I want to do what is right in god's eyes.

It's not evil. The game doesn't even take place in a real reality. :) The "magic" in the game has absolutely NO connection to real-world magic. It's like Disney magic.

The problem comes when certain types of Christians are unable to decyfer reality from fiction...and convince themselves that fictional creations are somehow real. The claim that satan can get a foothold on you because of the game makes no sense BECAUSE there isn't a single real-world element in the game. :p

It's a game of strategic elements and teamplay. Nothing more. Some people just don't know the difference between real world and the fake world.

Now, I know some will say the game has occultic influences....they will of course ignore the fact that the game has nothing to do with occultic magik.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

NoMoreTearsWithJesus

Sep 21, 2005
CALIFORNIA
✟781.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i dont wanna play that game for those reasons that your dad says, i played this other game not gonna say the name but it was samthing, God spoke to my heart an said stop.. so i stoped im glad i did stop tho... i dont understand why people like that stuff, or play with em or watch, those thing are in this world we need to go around it... hope i helped but if others like it whatever.

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The poster brought up a good point with the homeless thing.

Does that also mean that if my character role-plays receiving salvation...then that must mean I'LL be saved too...since it happened in the game?

Same principal.:p

As for the last poster...I like to play it because of the strategic values, the roleplaying, the fantasy adventure and fun and fellowship with others. (i'm in a Christian guild)

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I should probably go down your dad's list.

it has magic in it

No it doesn't. That's not magic. That's graphical effects created by internal programming within the game using statistical data.

it has demons in it.

Yes. But you're fighting them. You are NOT demon.

Why should their names bother you? That's their problem, not yours.

A fantasy warlock. Not a real warlock. IE See the magic explaination above.

Except that it has no spiritual influence unless you're crazy and believe it's all real.

And yet hasn't come up with a good reason why. (see above)

You're right it's not. Because the game doesn't take place on earth. (ie, no earth based religions) It takes place in a FAKE Fantasy realm. :p The "magic" comes from whatever you want it to be...that's part of roleplaying. For all you care, you could roleplay the fireball is coming from God's power. :p

If you get "excited" over a computer character, there is something deeply wrong.

And the word Level sounds like Devil. You're point? :)

There we go! My work here is done.

Upvote 0

NoMoreTearsWithJesus

Sep 21, 2005
CALIFORNIA
✟781.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
about homeless thing, i wish that was possible.... you know what TheBrad listen to your heart if it says its ok then, play it if it says no then no it is... you cant go all your life asking for people to advize you on whats rite n wrong. How are you gonna play it? if your dads always living there? hes always gonna come n say stop playing or he will be really upset.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I will say this the game isn't evil and there isn't anything wrong with playing it or similar games as long as the Holy Spirit isn't urging you not to or it's taking up so much of your time it;s became a stumbling block . But let me ask you acouple of question how long are you going to be at home?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBrad

May 25, 2006
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
thanks for your replies. My father is skeptical about most of your views on this since he doesn't know you and so he doesn't think what you say has enough merit with him. I have showed him romans 14, however he is dismissing that as well and says that has nothing to do with this subject. He says there is nothing in the bible that supports magic(witchcraft) in any form regardless of it taking places in fantasy world or not. but plenty of verses that oppose it, he says as christian we are to flee the appearance of evil and he sees nothing but evil in this game. sorry it is late, I will ask them for some verses opposing this in the morning. So if anyone knows of any verses to support then please post, i'm not even trying to defend this subject anymore from him because I know nothing from the bible that supports my view, when I read romans 14 it felt like it made perfect sense to me, yet he rejected it.

I don't see playing games with magic in them wrong. Yet I keep being told it is wrong wrong wrong, I don't know if this goes along with the bible but this is what I believe-If a person thinks of something as evil, and has doubt in his heart over it, and to go ahead and do it anyways is sinful, but why am I being told i'm sinning when I don't even believe what i'm doing is wrong? i don't understand why my conscience says this isn't wrong yet I'm being told by them that it is and that i'm just decieveing myself. I've read all over the internet and I haven't seen much opposing views at all other than by the website landoverbaptists. I am being told that my view of right and wrong on this subject is wrong and that because I have been playing games with magic/evil etc in them for so many years(since I was 4 i'm now 18) that my view is altered and is untrue.

To answer Cyberpaladin's question- I currently have no job, live in a very small town, and haven't been here for very long so I don't know many people, So I spend a lot of my time at home. I spend quite some time playing video games and reading, however I value a relationship with god the father more than anything else and I know that no video game offers me that.

I'm very much struggling with this, I'm a gamer yet so many games I play are inviting evil into myself? I don't want to stop playing games I don't even think are wrong to play, but I want to do what is right.

your views on this are greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And Romans 14 still does apply here. These games would undoubtedly be a stumbling block for your father, but they are not to you. However, an issue you should consider is, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, would you playing the game cause a problem to your father? If so, that is a problem as well.

And about landoverbaptists, you know that site's a parody site right?

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
TheBrad said:
I don't see playing games with magic in them wrong. Yet I keep being told it is wrong wrong wrong, I don't know if this goes along with the bible but this is what I believe-If a person thinks of something as evil, and has doubt in his heart over it, and to go ahead and do it anyways is sinful, but why am I being told i'm sinning when I don't even believe what i'm doing is wrong? i don't understand why my conscience says this isn't wrong yet I'm being told by them that it is and that i'm just decieveing myself. I've read all over the internet and I haven't seen much opposing views at all other than by the website landoverbaptists. I am being told that my view of right and wrong on this subject is wrong and that because I have been playing games with magic/evil etc in them for so many years(since I was 4 i'm now 18) that my view is altered and is untrue.
[/CODE]
I didn't get into gaming until I was 18 and I have been a Christian since before I was in the first grade and I don't find there to be really to be a problem as long as you don't allow line between fanatsy and reality to merge.

To answer Cyberpaladin's question- I currently have no job, live in a very small town, and haven't been here for very long so I don't know many people, So I spend a lot of my time at home. I spend quite some time playing video games and reading, however I value a relationship with god the father more than anything else and I know that no video game offers me that.
You may have to stand up to your father speaking as someone who spent 3 years commuting to college and several since living with his parents due to employment issues I'm not saying this is the issue your going to want to choose I don't know you or your father so I'm not going give definetive advice. I'm just saying that they will try to treat you like your 16 well into your 20's if you don't standup at some point.

I'm very much struggling with this, I'm a gamer yet so many games I play are inviting evil into myself? I don't want to stop playing games I don't even think are wrong to play, but I want to do what is right.

your views on this are greatly appreciated.
What your doing isn't wrong your father has fallen victim to a common scare tactic used by televanglists, certain extremist christian adovacy groups and preachers they take something these people don't understand brand it as evil and leading you astray even though it doesn't then ask them for money to fight it's a very effective way to get people donate to a cause.

Upvote 0

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem is...some people are zealots...they see evil everywhere and refuse to listen to anyone. Their minds are made up before the "debate" even began. They blind themselves into believing something.

There may be no reasoning with him here. He already thinks that the game is occultic despite not having any reasonable explainations as to how it is occultic.

Because he doesn't understand it...he calls it evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
*cough*Farmer*cough*

I have a Mo/Wa too :p

Monks and Warriors are probably the best primaries to have. Monks are always needed, while Warriors are very good for survivability and running simply because they have the best armor + superior runes of absorption.

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟17,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TheBrad said:

just convey to him that just because HE think's something is evil or sinful (or HE interprets the bible saying someting like that) doesn't mean it is. Christianity means different things to different people, the messages he recieves and interprets may mean something to someone else.

In the end, he doesn't have the power or judgement to tell you whats wrong and whats not

Upvote 0