✟16,160.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Y'all!

I have questions, I hope I am in the right forum to ask...I do not wish to debate, only to gain knowledge.

What is the definition of "prosperity" as it pertains to the Word of Faith statement of faith?

Also, basically, is the premise of the Word of Faith to speak those things into existence as though they already were? If so, can someone tell me how this statement is heretical when it comes straight from the Bible?

These questions arise from a thread I read earlier about Joyce Meyer, and a lot of the comments pretty much slammed WoF and it's doctrine...I had never associated her with that movement until then, although I never really cared for her teaching anyway.

Thanks to all for your answers! Have a great day!!! :wave:

"True prosperity is the ability to use God's power to meet the needs of mankind in any realm of life."

As far as your second question, I can't call the Word of the Living God heretical. The Word of God advocates calling those things that be not as though they were. Period.

People hate Joyce because she is a woman, she's a preacher, and she has more success than her critics.

Reactions: ddjones1230
Upvote 0

Jedi.Kep

Jul 30, 2009
Earth
✟16,160.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
why is this seen as bad? Jesus says Himself, be anxious for nothing, but by prayer and supplication, make your needs be made known to God. I'm so confused....

can you tell me why there is a negative stigma with WOF? is it because of the prosperity preachers..."name it and claim it" type messages?

why would someone, a Christian, say that the WOF is cultish and non-biblical?

Thanks again!!!

Dude, I've been asking that question for years. LOL.

The biggest issue I've seen would be a doctrinal difference on how Jesus accomplished the sacrifice for our sins. Many take the stand that everything was completed on the Cross, while others take the stand that the events from the cross to raising from the dead are necessary for forgiveness of our sins. I've always considered it splitting theological hairs and overly religious people getting their panties in a wad. Jesus Christ is still the Lord and Savior and it is only by His Blood that we are forgiven.

Upvote 0

Jedi.Kep

Jul 30, 2009
Earth
✟16,160.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i agree...that would be splittin' hairs...like you said, it's by the Blood we are forgiven.

i'm guessing from other things i've looked up - on google for example - that the negativism comes from the name it and claim it's like Creflo and Parsley and some of the other ones that I just can not agree with...my stance on any person like that is that if they have any dishonesty or insincerity in their heart whatsoever, they will have to answer to God for it one day, not me...but, in the mean time, that doesn't mean i have to support their ministry...yaknow?

i "fell out" with Joyce when i started receiving WEEKLY mailings with not one, but sometimes 2 or 3 different "gift" envelopes included in the packets....she is plenty successful without having to beg for money, especially in this kind of economy. just sayin'. i have nothing against the woman personally. my mother loves her to death. LOL!

what is (or which is) the WOF stance on the doctrinal difference you mention?

thanks again! you are a plethora of info! :)

To answer your question, that is difficult to nail down. Kenyon has one way of looking at it, Hagin another, Copeland another. The statement boils down all the issues to that main one which I believe most agree on. Each individual has their seperate hairs they split (for example, Kenyon and Copeland have thoughts about spiritual death as well as a physical death which others do not share), but I believe most can and would agree that Christ's sacrifice involved the events from the Cross to the Throne. If you were to take any of those events out, the sacrifice would be incomplete. This agrees with Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 15:17 which says ,"if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins!" Paul connects the events very clearly and goes as far as saying without a risen Christ "you are still in your sins."

I am not a plethora of info. LOL. I just took the issue seriously, read WoF's writings, read critics writings, and compared them to the Word of the Living God and you get to hear my ramblings of what I've learned. I hope you and others have enough sense to get in the Word of God and find your own answers, for it is only there that we know anything theologically at all.

Reactions: ddjones1230
Upvote 0

mmmtacos

Apr 3, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well it says in 1 John that he wishes us to prosper even as our soul prospers.

Some ppl think WOF is about getting rich, first and foremost.

God only gives me what I can handle. As I mature and my soul prospers I am given more.

It's more about stewardship than having prosperity for prosperity's sake:)

Upvote 0

mmmtacos

Apr 3, 2011
✟15,180.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi dd. that's a great question! I would say from my own understanding that prospertity is a by product of maturity. 3 John 2 says that prosperity is in accordance with the prospering of the soul (my paraphrase).

God entrusts me with what I am able to handle. As I mature and grow in the Lord He gives more.

So, for me prosperity is a matter of stewardship, rather that getting free riches for the sake of being rich.

I did notice some harsh words about the likes of Creflo and Parsely bc you don't agree with something they said or believe. I'm just suggesting here, but I think you might be better informed if you were to take a different approach in evaluating Pastors and Teachers.

It's like I was told years ago about teachers that were Godly leaers in the body of Christ, but sometimes I differed with. Our church secretary asked me when I was a new Christian "have you ever eaten a steak?"...Yes "What did you do with the meat?"...I ate it.."wht did you do with the bone?" I threw it away.

She said, "Do the same thing with teachers of the word. Eat the meat, and throw the bones away. You're never going to agree 100% with anybody"

I've never heard of Creflo being call a name it claim it teacher, although he is a WOF teacher. If you had ever watched his broadcast you would see that he uses the word, and he basically, at leat most of the time, teaches on moderation and obedience. I've never heard him teach anything like name it claim it.

Parsely isn't WOF I don't think. He's more of a traditional Pentecostal.

What I'm trying to get across (I know, I'm wordy - lol) is that having knee jerk reactions about ppl can cut you off from learning or receiving something God has for you.

Remember Paul's words in 2 cor 3:6b ...for the letter of the law kills, but the spirit gives life. If you look for heresy. then heresy is what you'll find.

The Bereans were considered more nobel bc they went home and studied what was taught, comparing the teaching with the scriptures.

I sincerely think we all could do a better job of this.

God bless you. I hope you find the answers you seek.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Y'all!

I have questions, I hope I am in the right forum to ask...I do not wish to debate, only to gain knowledge.

What is the definition of "prosperity" as it pertains to the Word of Faith statement of faith?

prosperity as it pertains to the Word of Faith is having a sufficient amount of anything that you need to sustain you, and that you have no lack. that goes for the body, the soul, and the spirit of man, for God sustains all 3. :amen:

Also, basically, is the premise of the Word of Faith to speak those things into existence as though they already were? If so, can someone tell me how this statement is heretical when it comes straight from the Bible?

it is not heretical. Everything we have is supplied to us by God. It is His desire to provide for us what we need for our body, soul, and spirit. this desire was affirmed by Jesus in scripture when He said, "I have come that they might have life, and have it abundantly." It was also affirmed by David in the 23rd Psalm.

When we speak these things into existance, we are agreeing with God that He is our source of provision, that He wishes to provide for our needs, and that He is able to do so. In essence this is really no different than if we were to call up an appliance store and ask them to deliver the stove that was purchased for us.

It is because we are children of God, saved by the blood of Jesus who purchased eternal life for us, and restored us into a right relationship with God that we are joint heirs with our brother and Saviour, Jesus Christ, to the kingdom of Heaven and all that it contains. And it is under that joint-heir authority as Christians that we call things into existance that are in heaven.

These questions arise from a thread I read earlier about Joyce Meyer, and a lot of the comments pretty much slammed WoF and it's doctrine...I had never associated her with that movement until then, although I never really cared for her teaching anyway.

Thanks to all for your answers! Have a great day!!! :wave:

you will find a lot of slams directed towards WOF on the 'net, but those remarks come from people who do not understand what WOF believes. In a similar manner you will also find slams against Christianity. but again, those slams come from non-believers who do not understand what Christianity is about.

nice to have you here!:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums