Women Pastors part 2

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I suggest that you expand the group of women you know if all of them fit your description. Consider the women who still came to visit Jesus at His tomb. While the men cowarded away in the house, the women continued to visit their Lord and Savior. In fact, the first person to recognize Christ as the Messiah was a woman. To comprehend doctrine, we need to consider all of Scripture together, not just the Scriptures that support our opinions.

Women also support Jesus financially but these examples having nothing to do with the scriptures advocating women taking leadership positions over men. How many of Jesus' 12 apostles were women?

As for the example of "cowardice" you allude to, I don't think women were in danger from the authorities in that example, while men were. Because men were taken more seriously than women.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Women also support Jesus financially but these examples having nothing to do with the scriptures advocating women taking leadership positions over men. How many of Jesus' 12 apostles were women?

As for the example of "cowardice" you allude to, I don't think women were in danger from the authorities in that example, while men were. Because men were taken more seriously than women.
What I take exception to is your description of women and their God-given capabilities. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Our strengths and weaknesses don't always fall into specific categories (male vs female traits). I never suggested that women should become priests or bishops.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not in the slightest. Why would you ever think that? (My guess is you misread something)
It's because your vulgar interpretation of a Biblical principle being rooted in the sex act is exactly what and how Masons (along with most other occultists and pagans) believe. It is an occultist worldview - in fact, the central occultist worldview.

Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Hell:A place where I don't want to go.
Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, but there is much more to it.

It says: "Wives should submit to their husbands as if to the Lord." Can you imagine it, the husband as if he is the Lord. There is extended submission of lesser kind to all men, just as a man loves his wife with all his heart and actions, while he extends his respect and protection and lesser kind of love to all women.

In another words, it can't mean that a man should love his wife and threat all other women like nothing. At the same time, women submits to husband to highest degree, while she extends deep courtesy and respect to all men.

Look how you have used the verb "strut" to describe all other men except husband. Strut means to "walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers." Do you really look at all men (except one, a husband) like that? Imagine a man saying: "The only woman a man has to love is his own wife. And not every bi*** that walks the face of God's earth."
I see what you mean and yes I do agree that men and women should respect each other whether they're married to each other or not.But respecting another man is not the same as a wife submitting to her* own*husband.And no I don't look at all men like that. I had a particular man in mind when I said strut.Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...vulgar interpretation of a Biblical principle being rooted in the sex act...

That's what you read, but not what I wrote. If you want, be precise about accusations, don't just throw them around. What Biblical principle is being rooted in sex act? And where have I rooted that principle with sex act? Have you actually read what I wrote (and my subsequent posts)?

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I misunderstood, then I apologize for jumping to conclusions. The standard use of "penetration" when talking about a man penetrating a woman in today's society is along the lines of my interpretation. Before your post, I have never encountered the manner of sexual intercourse to be a reason for not ordaining women. That said, I appreciate the clarification. (Admittedly, I am not the most comfortable discussing the way men and women join together on a forum, so please accept my alternative wording).

So, in regards to your explanation above:

It is true that a husband and wife joining together as one, through sexual intercourse, and conceiving a child is a beautiful thing. In marriage, it is God ordained, and as all that God ordains, has multiple purposes, including love. While I don't focus on the penetration part of this, I'll go with it for the purposes of this discussion.

Yes, ideas and words are penetrative (in a very non-sexual manner). Again, it is the combination of the sexual connotation moving onto another topic with the same word (apparently with a different connotation), that made it seem inappropriate from my perspective. Words have meaning in the current culture. Stringing concepts together continues the meaning of one understanding to the next section.

Moving on from that, yes, words can change or deepen someone's mind about something substantial. Certainly, that includes speaking or preaching. I'm not used to having people speak from a podium, but I see your point.

There are constructs within the Church, constructs within the family, and constructs within the world. They aren't all the same.

I actually don't fit into the description your last few paragraphs. I do however see multiple concepts about this written in Scripture. I personally don't see anything stating that women were presbyters or elders. I do see evidence of women being deaconesses, though they did not have the same role as deacons. I see many women who had roles of influence in the early church.

In light of this, we need to synthesize these scriptures together with the scriptures you quoted. Would you agree?

Here are some examples of roles women held in the apostolic church:

St Mary of Magdalene evangelized to others.

St Thecla, after converting from hearing Paul's message, was sentenced to death due to dedicating her life to Christ rather than becoming a wife to someone who was not a Christian. She was saved from this death, and preached to many in Antioch.

St Phoebe was a deaconess sent by Paul. She was a leader of the early church, though I don't believe she had the same role as the male deacons. She brought letters from Paul to the church, ministered to many, and helped in a variety of ways. Again, deaconess was a unique role.

If you are willing to look at some historical documents, you'll find that St Photini (the woman at the well) preached the gospel to many. History shows that she and her sisters traveled far to spread the word of God.

St. Lydia was a business woman. She opened up her home to the apostles, and spread her wealth to many. She took care of the poor and ministered to many. History records her spreading the gospel through Europe and further west.

St. Priscilla (or Prisca) and her husband, the Apostle Aquila of the Se
venty, are perhaps best known for their apostolic work with St. Paul in Ephesus. They not only provided hospitality for the Apostles, but they had a church in their home. In Romans 16:3-5, Paul says:"Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my helpers in Christ Jesus . . . . Likewise greet the church that is in their house."

St. Junia and her husband (who became a bishop) spread the gospel.
In Romans 16:7, St. Paul makes a remarkable statement. He says: "Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me."

You'll find many more both in Scripture and in historical documents. St. Tabitha, St. Mary and Martha...the list continues.

Note what happens in these examples (which were praised by the apostles):

They taught.
They evangelized.
They took care of the poor.
They spread the gospel.
They were martyrs.
They provided financial support.
They provided hospitality.
They were deaconesses (of a different role than deacon today).
There is direct evidence that participated in pretty much every ministry the men participated in, with the exception of the priesthood (and bishops / elders / some roles of deacon today).

If you didn't see this in my previous posts, my Church (and my personal opinion) does not support women being priests or deacons in the sense of male deacons. I do accept the position of deaconess, in the context of what deaconesses did in the early church. I do believe the family models after the Church, as do our parishes. I do support the priests and bishops being men, as they represent Christ, and we represent the Bride of Christ (well...we kind of are :) ).

In fact, I do consider my husband to be the head of my house. However, he never lords that over me, we always make decisions together (if we could not come to a conclusion, I would accept his decision - "submit" to him, though he never has done that). Despite that, we work together on everything.

That doesn't, however, mean that women can't have vocations in the business world, that they shouldn't be equal in importance, that they cannot be smart, etc. etc.

Considering my stance on my husband being the head of the house, I disagree with this. The debate is more than that. Like I said earlier, I don't think there are just two sides to this conversation. I also think my understanding of "preach" and your understanding of "preach" may be different. If I understand correctly, you associate "preach" with being the pastor of a church. I don't necessarily adhere to that. Being the priest of a church is much more than "preaching". If I am misunderstanding you, feel free to clarify. :)

I appreciate your answer. I understand that my take can seem taken not as intented in a context of society we live in (as was demonstrated), although I wouldn't change it. Biological roles and differences are not just symbolic, they reflect the truth in our spirits, and there are wordly consequences when we act against them, as a hint to not do it. That's part of God's wisdom in creation.

Without going into all the points you listed, I generally agree with you.

As I wrote, I don't see the issue of women being in preaching positions within Church as absolutely forbidden, but as something that is not good idea. Exceptions could exist, and they would be so with a good reason.

If there is an absolute, it's this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it - love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

To me, if woman preaches to men from a podium (to use that picture), that's not against Jesus' core commandments. But, that situation can produce a result (based on woman not being equipped for such role) that could make people turn away from Jesus' core commandments. In that sense it is not absolutely forbidden, but it is best to not do it.

In that light I read Timothy 2, for example, referenced by bcbsr couple of posts above: "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet." What Jesus, in his wisdom, teaches in Timothy 2, is a precautionary measure. He knows us, and knows we are fallen. And he knows about dangers that we can't see. That's why, in my opinion, he doesn't talk about exceptions, but makes case clear - no woman to lead in Church. He is black and white on the issue on purpose, because He knows that although there could be exceptions, women are not made for that role, and the danger is great so He doesn't even talk about exceptions. But I believe exceptions are possible, based on two rules which are greater than all - love God and love each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In fact, the first person to recognize Christ as the Messiah was a woman. To comprehend doctrine, we need to consider all of Scripture together, not just the Scriptures that support our opinions.

Not only was the first person to recognize Christ as the Messiah a woman, but the first person to preach the Good News that Christ had risen was a woman.

Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Mark 16:9 -14)
But His disciples didn't believe the report. So Jesus upbraided them for their unbelief.
14: Afterward He appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart because they believed not them which had seen Him after He was risen.)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but there is much more to it.

It says: "Wives should submit to their husbands as if to the Lord." Can you imagine it, the husband as if he is the Lord. There is extended submission of lesser kind to all men, just as a man loves his wife with all his heart and actions, while he extends his respect and protection and lesser kind of love to all women. In another words, it can't mean that a man should love his wife and threat all other women like nothing. At the same time, women submits to husband to highest degree, while she extends deep courtesy and respect to all men.
I would not encourage my wife to submit in any way to any man that does not approach here with all honor, courtesy and respect as befits her standing as a daughter of God.

For her to submit to anybody who regards her as less than this is not to submitting to the Lord, I would go so far as to say (from my experience) that it is giving in to the evil one. Nobody on this earth is worthy of honor, respect or authority by virtue of gender.
Rather when a person displays suitable humility, dignity, integrity and Love, then they might be raised to a level where anybody might look to them as an authority.

Christ Jesus demonstrates this by the fact that even though He was worthy of all honor and respect He lowered Himself in the sight of God, to the point of death, so that it was God himself who raised Him up to be seated at His Right Hand.

...and he taught this: When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 14)

For men to stamp their feet, shake their fists, wobble their jowls or whatever, and demand submission on questionable grounds is not in keeping with the Spirit of the Gospel and perhaps it is appropriate that those that do are humbled.

Look how you have used the verb "strut" to describe all other men except husband. Strut means to "walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers." Do you really look at all men (except one, a husband) like that? Imagine a man saying: "The only woman a man has to love is his own wife. And not every bi*** that walks the face of God's earth."

Don't know which part of the world you live in but where I am men definitely "strut" around as a matter of course, just like male dogs come to think of it, doing their business in every corner that they wish to claim. Sadly it is very rare to find a truly humble man and often where we might think we've encountered one it means that they are humiliated, not humble.

• Winner
Reactions: Sheep4Christ
Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would not encourage my wife to submit in any way to any man that does not approach here with all honor, courtesy and respect as befits her standing as a daughter of God.

But Jesus instructs her:

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?"

"Do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

"If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles."

Nobody on this earth is worthy of honor, respect or authority by virtue of gender.

But everybody on this earth is worthy of love, which is greater than honor, respect or authority. That's what Jesus absolutely commands us to do, to all. If your wife submits to you, and she loves all men, she extends lesser submission to all men.

(By the way, I said "on this earth everybody is worthy of love". Because, on this earth, we are not to be neither judge nor executioner. We are to love all. That's why we are sinners, as it is hard, or impossible, goal to attain.)

Don't know which part of the world you live in but where I am men definitely "strut" around as a matter of course, just like male dogs come to think of it, doing their business in every corner that they wish to claim.

Yes, some strut. Do all men strut? Or most, more than 50%? Why would you compare them to dogs, even if they do strut? What good does that bring?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sheep4Christ

Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Well they certainly took the Samaritan woman seriously .(John 4:28 The woman then left her water pot and went her way into the city and saith to the *men*, 29 come see a man which told me all things that ever I did:Is not this the Christ? 39 And many of the Samaritans believed on Him for the saying of the woman which testified, He told me all that I ever did) A simple testimony did the trick.Even though the woman seemed unsure if Jesus was the Messiah. Her testimony grabbed the curiosity of others enough to want to meet Him for themselves.
42 And said unto the woman now we believe not because of thy saying :for we have heard Him ourselves and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To me, if woman preaches to men from a podium (to use that picture), that's not against Jesus' core commandments. But, that situation can produce a result (based on woman's nature) that could make people turn away from Jesus' core commandments. In that sense it is not absolutely forbidden, but it is best to not do it.
For anybody to preach from a podium is a very Greco-Roman manner of oratory designed to elevate the speaker above the laity, keeping them in their passive and submissive places.
Also not in keeping with the way in which Christ does things.
loading_lg_w.gif
th

• Agree
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But Jesus instructs her:

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?"

"Do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

None of this makes the enemies, the persecution or the forced labor anymore right. Furthermore this is a teaching about retaliation for wrong doing, not submission to evil. These people (enemies etc.) are in the wrong and the fact that Christ encourages humility in these cases only underlines the point.

If the instruction of Christ Jesus is offered as an argument for submission then who should she submit to tomorrow? The metal head who wants to take her (he's a nice man)? ISIS? The business man who wants to rip her off? The evil one who wishes to destroy us?

But everybody on this earth is worthy of love, which is greater than honor, respect or authority. That's what Jesus absolutely commands us to do, to all. If your wife submits to you, and she loves all men, she extends lesser submission to all men.

(By the way, I said "on this earth everybody is worthy of love". Because, on this earth, we are not to be neither judge nor executioner. We are to love all. That's why we are sinners, as it is hard, or impossible, goal to attain.)
Yes, Love. Not submission.

Yes, some strut. Do all men strut? Or most, more than 50%? Why would you compare them to dogs, even if they do strut? What good does that bring? (And not every bi*** that walks the face of God's earth)
I think you referred to the female animal of the species, it occurred to me that there is a very relevant analogy with the male.

Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Rather, the grown men should ask them to leave as it is not their biblically assigned role.

1 corinthians 14:34-35
1 timothy 2:11-12
Paul wanted things done decently and in order. If the wives(women)were interrupting the service by asking questions or whatever then he *should have* told them to be quiet and if they couldn't understand what was going on don't disrupt the service just ask your husbands when you go home.That makes sense to me. 1Corinthians14:34-40. At least that's my understanding of this chapter.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,627.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus instructs her:
I have a big question as to why you have used the word 'her' in introducing these quotations. I would be much happier if you had used the word 'us', or even 'us all'. For the integrity of this debate I think we should avoid sexism as much as we can, and the use of the word 'her' where the word 'us' would have a higher and more open level of veracity leaves you open to being more sexist than perhaps you would intend.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For anybody to preach from a podium is a very Greco-Roman manner of oratory designed to elevate the speaker above the laity, keeping them in their passive and submissive places.
Also not in keeping with the way in which Christ does things.

Actually it is more a matter of acoustics. When I teach a small class I usually wander around the room, occasionally sitting on a table. But when teaching a large class you need to project, which means staying at a podium. The idea isn't to make people passive or submissive--you just want them to be able to hear and see you.

The wine glass pulpits in old churches were often designed with a sounding board above the pulpit (see photo), allowing the speaker to be heard in an era before electronics.​

smith10.jpg

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Back to the significance of penetration. What's bad about that word?

In and of itself, nothing. But your argument has reduced women to being passive/receptive, and no more. It does not leave room for women as active, for the exercise of our gifts, and so on.

I notice that you didn't address my point about an alternative view of biology; the fusion of ovum and sperm as a creative act. Why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what you read, but not what I wrote. If you want, be precise about accusations, don't just throw them around. What Biblical principle is being rooted in sex act? And where have I rooted that principle with sex act? Have you actually read what I wrote (and my subsequent posts)?
You didn't write this?
"God gives us answer to this question in many ways, and one of the loudest is this:

Man penetrates. Woman receives. And that's how new life, and through it new love, gets created."

Really??? Or are you saying that has nothing to do with the sex act??? REALLY???

It's typical of occultists to try to "clean up" their sexual worldview when presenting it to others by pointing out ways in which it can be viewed metaphorically or allegorically. You may or may not be an occultist (they often hide that they are), but the view you expressed is perfectly in line with occultism.

I found your statement, quite frankly, disgusting.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Paul wanted things done decently and in order. If the wives(women)were interrupting the service by asking questions or whatever then he *should have* told them to be quiet and if they couldn't understand what was going on don't disrupt the service just ask your husbands when you go home.That makes sense to me. 1Corinthians14:34-40. At least that's my understanding of this chapter.

yeah, that's the explanation i've heard, but i don't see how it's justified by the text.

Upvote 0

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If the instruction of Christ Jesus is offered as an argument for submission then who should she submit to tomorrow? The metal head who wants to take her (he's a nice man)? ISIS? The business man who wants to rip her off? The evil one who wishes to destroy us?

Yes, and not only she, but all of us. As I said, that's why we are sinners. It's hard to do it. But, here's a question. Why worry if someone will destroy your body, or take your stuff, when the only thing that's important is your soul, which is getting prepared to live with God? All destruction we can experience on Earth fades away in significance, while Jesus' commandment to give the enemy what it wants to take, and more, becomes completely understandable.

I think you referred to the female animal of the species, it occurred to me that there is a very relevant analogy with the male.

You took that fully out of context and attributed incomplete sentence to me. :) My sentence starts with "Imagine a man saying:" as an example in reply to previous post.

Upvote 0