With so many denominations disagreeing on practices, how should a Christian choose in his daily living?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,663.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Christians, we have the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit, John 14:
17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
  1. The Paraclete speaks to our consciences in our daily activities.
  2. I employ A Denomination-Free, Disciplined, Logical, and Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics.
  3. Let the peace of Christ guides us.
John 14:
27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Jesus set us free to follow him.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe all born again Christians are saved, then it does not matter what your daily practice is. Some will go from every walk of life. If they are obeying the law on their heart then you can be anywhere.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Christians, we have the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit, John 14:

1. The Paraclete speaks to our consciences in our daily activities.
  2. I employ A Denomination-Free, Disciplined, Logical, and Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics.
  3. Let the peace of Christ guides us.
John 14:

Jesus set us free to follow him.
Why would they disagree if they have the one spirit that is a bond of peace? Ephesians 4:3; 1 Corinthians 1:10
Wouldn't there be an explanation for the reason 'so many denominations disagreeing on practices.?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even Peter and Paul disagreed at the time of the nascent church.
We all are learning to practice what is right, so sometimes the imperfect flesh causes us to act contrary to the way of Christ - our speech for example, and the disciples had to overcome prejudice, and haughtiness, but I thought you were referring to the practices in relation to doctrines.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. Doctrines divide Christians, not unifying them.
Isn't that why we have doctrines?
I think what has happened to most of us today, is, we forgot something. We forgot the beginning. Genesis 3:1-5
Jesus reminds us - John 8:44, but Paul tells us, that for many of us, it's a little too late - 2 Corinthians 4:3, 4.

What do you think of 2 Timothy 4:3, 4?
Do you think divisions exist among so many denominations because that happened, and continues to happen since 1 CE?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can count yourself a member of the body of Christ without need of having your name written on any one churches membership folder.
Many person do that, true.
What's I have found to be important, from my study of the scriptures, is not what we count ourselves to be, but what Jesus counts us as. Matthew 7:13, 14, 21-23

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,663.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think that many Christians have a too-simple model of a human being, and free will.

(If you are a hard determinist Calvinist, then you have many other problems,
which I will not address.)

If you think that the Holy Spirit can only dwell within a Christian who never sins,
then you cannot handle the Apostle John's statements about "if we sin, we have an
advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

1 My children, I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one. 2 He is expiation for our sins, and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world. 3 The way we may be sure that we know him is to keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps his word, the love of God is truly perfected in him. This is the way we may know that we are in union with him: 6 whoever claims to abide in him ought to live [just] as he lived.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), 1 Jn 2:1–6.

16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful. 17 Elijah was a human being like us; yet he prayed earnestly that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain upon the land. 18 Then he prayed again, and the sky gave rain and the earth produced its fruit.
19 My brothers, if anyone among you should stray from the truth and someone bring him back, 20 he should know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Jas 5:16–20.

Note that some in the early centuries of Christianity thought that a Christian could not sin, after converting
to Christianity, or he would be condemned at the final judgment. This is a doctrine that the Church rejected
as false.

Note that James is talking about his (Christian) disciples. He is not talking to
pagans, who might be thinking about converting to Christianity.

I would also argue that the language of "one another" does not refer to all people,
but to the People of God. This text deals with Christians, confessing their sins to
other Christians, and asking other Christians to pray for them, that God would
forgive these sins (committed after becoming a Christian).

---------- ----------

Assertion: The Holy Spirit dwelling in us, does not mean that God deterministically
controls our decisions.

After conversion, we are still capable of choosing to sin.

After conversion, we still need to continually choose to let God
renew our mind, so that we may know his will, and choose to do it.

There us much language in Scripture, that exhorts us to grow in
virtue and knowledge, toward the full maturity of Christ.
Theologies that are deterministic, present a ridiculous problem, in interpreting
these texts of Scripture.

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), 2 Ti 3:16–17.

Why teach Christians, if the Holy Spirit does this automatically?

1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you realize that we will be judged more strictly, 2 for we all fall short in many respects. If anyone does not fall short in speech, he is a perfect man, able to bridle his whole body also.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Jas 3:1–2.

5 I wish to remind you, although you know all things, that [the] Lord who once saved a people from the land of Egypt later destroyed those who did not believe.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Jud 5.

11 About this we have much to say, and it is difficult to explain, for you have become sluggish in hearing. 12 Although you should be teachers by this time, you need to have someone teach you again the basic elements of the utterances of God. You need milk, [and] not solid food. 13 Everyone who lives on milk lacks experience of the word of righteousness, for he is a child. 14 But solid food is for the mature, for those whose faculties are trained by practice to discern good and evil.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Heb 5:11–14.

---------- ----------

So, back to the original question...

If all Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit,
why are their disagreements among Christians, as to doctrines?

There are many reasons:

-- Biblical illiteracy: Those who do not know the Bible, assert that it means all sorts of things.
-- Lack of growth in knowledge and wisdom: Christians who do not take the biblical commands
seriously, to get a renewed mind, never make a serious effort to learn. Those who hold to
anti-intellectual theologies, may stridently claim that THEY DO NOT NEED TO LEARN ANYTHING,
and stridently proclaim their ignorance, as if it were the teaching of the Holy Spirit.
-- Many younger Americans do not believe that there is any universal truth.
They think that whatever they assert about the Bible and the faith, must be true.
-- Some people, have a very flawed definition of the divine inspiration of Scripture.
They think that they are free to interpret Scripture however they want.
-- Some people are so engulfed in the "diverse culture" secular arguments,
that they claim that diverse cultures authoritatively interpret Scripture.
-- Many Christians never Bother to learn the biblical languages, and so have no way
to verify if their favorite understandings of biblical passages, are true.

There are many reasons why people who claim to be Christians, would have
very different assertions about what the Bible means.

Upvote 0