Will there be marriage in heaven?

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
wherever the Lord wills it (currently England)
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Good point- I don't think that the Bible indicates that heaven will be 'different' for everyone per se, as it does indicate that the presence of Jesus will be the greatest joy of Heaven. But it does suggest that those who work in his name will recieve different rewards according to what they have done.

I think the important thing is that there are no scriptural reasons to think that there is no marriage in heaven to the point that married couples will be split up upon entering the kingdom of God, the day you can give me 1 good reason God would do this is the day George Bush accepts the existance of the ozone hole :p . seriously, you people out there, what possible motivation do you have for such a cruel, cold-hearted doctrine? How could you possibly not prefer the more beautiful, logical and Biblical idea that you will be with your spouse in the presensce of God forever????

"for everything that God does shall last forever..." -Ecclesiastes 3:14
- The hebrew here can mean "makes" as well as "does", why should marriages not fall under this category?

"for love is as strong as death... unyeilding as the grave" -Song of Songs 8:6
- This one should be obvious; and before you play the Agape card on me, I'd like to point out that this is the Song of Solomon, it's specifically about Romantic love bettween a married couple. if indeed such love is unyeilding as the grave, why would it end at the grave?

"whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven..." -Matthew 15:15
- I'm aware of the fact that this verse is primarily talking about the forgiveness of sins, but there's no reason to think it couldn't be applied to marriages, Jesus did say "whatever you bind on earth...", what if saint Peter were to bind a marriage on earth?

"the lord thy God says he hates putting away" -Malachi 2:16
- Another obvious one; If the lord does indeed Hate putting away, why would he put away every single marriage after death?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The saints will be in the with all of the other saints in the presence of God forever. The question is whether the institution of marriage as we know it today will exist. Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 that it will not. If you still have a bone to pick with that then how do you answer the Saducee's question about what happens with a person who had more than one spouse during their lifetime.

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The saints will be in the with all of the other saints in the presence of God forever.

That's a given. :amen: but why should that be to the exclusion of the unique relationships we had on earth? it's like saying that we will no longer recocnise our earthly parents at all in heaven just because God is our heavenly father- a huge leap of logic, makes no sense.

The question is whether the institution of marriage as we know it today will exist. Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 that it will not.

Not to be rude, but you've just done what every anti-marriage in heaven advocate has done in order to justify their weak and downright cruel theological standpoint on this issue: you've misquoted Jesus and twisted and decontextualised his words; stop lying to yourself and others, you know that's not what Jesus said. He said that people will not get married at the ressurection, but that's totally different to Marriage not existing in heaven.

If you still have a bone to pick with that

I have a bone to pick with this whole corrosive doctrine of "till death do us part" -the wedding vows should be something to the effect of "through all eternity" or "unto the Kindom of God". Did you know that in eastern orthodoxy they don't have wedding vows simply because they recocnise the eternality of marriage?

then how do you answer the Saducee's question about what happens with a person who had more than one spouse during their lifetime.

There are a few ways this could be answered, and while I'll admit that none are totally conclusive, they're certainly a better set of explainations than jumping to the cruel, illogical and unscriptural conclusion that there is no marriage relationship in any form in heaven. That being said, keep a few things in mind:

1) It is perfectly possible that when the Jesus reffered to marriage he was not throwing out marriage alltogether, but that he was indicating that marriage will not continue according to the earthly, legalistic understanding of marriage that the saducees were suffering from.

2) The saduccees were not truly concerned with whether marriage contines after death, they simply wanted to catch Jesus out into admitting there was no ressurection. likewise, Jesus was more concerned with adressing their unbelief in the ressurection than with marriage, so instead of getting dragged into giving a complex doctrinal thesis on marriage he briefly adressed the issue according to how they understood marriage (and note once again, Jesus only said they won't Get married, not they won't be married) in order to get to the true issue of whether or not there would be a ressurection.

3) a good explaination would be to suggest that couples will remain in heaven with whomever the Lord had originally intended for them to be their true spouse.

Look up a post from "triablogue" on this issue, they adress it better than i do.

Now I'd like to ask you a few questions:

1) tell me, how exactly do you intend to console a grieving widow/widower by telling them that their marriage to their dead spouse is eternally null and void and that if they are ever to see them again it will not mean anything in terms of their unique, loving, marriage bond relationship?

2) How do you Justify your belief in the finity of marriage in light of the 4 verses I quoted in my previous post

3) Quite simply: what logical reason could you possibly give that God would get rid of marriage in the ressurection?

4) Marriage was never originally intended to be a temporary, mortal state, as Adam and Eve were not under death's spell untill the fall, which was after God declared them married and commanded them to "go forth and multiply". why would God contradict his original design when he creates the new world? especially seeing as the bible describes the new heavens and new earth as the restoration of eden?

5) You claim that we will have a relationship with Christ and our fellow saints in heaven, yet you fail to explain how this contradicts the marriage relationship in any way.

6) The unbiblical teaching of "till death do us part" is a false Catholic heresy that the papcy invented due to the Catholic church's utter detestation and loathing of sex and marriage, thus they had to invent the idea of a sex/marriage-free heaven to satisfy their desire for self-harm. do you truly want to be associated with this?

7) As I briefly mentioned earlier, Jesus never claims that marriage is totally nonexistent in heaven; nor does he say that couples married in this life shall be split up in the life to come, he simply says "they will neither marry nor be given in marriage" I.E. they won't get married, NOT they won't be married; so why do you jump through huge logical loops to twist his words and arrive at the idea that there will be no marriage relationship in any way, shape or form in heaven?

8) finally, and connected to that last question: personally, for you, what possible motivation could you have for such a corrosive and cruel belief??? What is it that makes you want to believe that we will not be with God and our spouses for eternity? is it not such a more beautiful and praiseworthy image to think that we can enjoy the marital bonds of intimacy and love with out wives or husbands throughout the world to come?

I apologise if this comes accross as strongly-worded :sorry:, but on an issue where there is so much corrosive false teaching I find that I need to speak powerfully in order to get the message accross- I want people to see how crazy this teaching has gotten about marriage in heaven.

and before anyone asks, no I'm not a Mormon, or a Swedenborgian.

Upvote 0

Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me this conversation is a bit on the foolish side. After all to decide that earthly marriages be restored in Heaven is contrary to what Jesus is saying in Luke 24: 34-36.
"And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:

But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." KJV

The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,

Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

And last of all the woman died also.

Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven." Matthew 22: 23-30

Could Jesus have been any plainer?

A duel marriage in the Old Testament was one of constant bickering and choosing sides between members of the family, just as it proves to be in Mormon and Muslim marriages today. The Bible teaches that the re-marriage of any man or woman whose partner has died has the blessing of the Lord to re-marry. Would that not also become a major problem in Heaven, if earthly duel marriages were to be carried over into the New Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To me this conversation is a bit on the foolish side. After all to decide that earthly marriages be restored in Heaven is contrary to what Jesus is saying in Luke 24: 34-36.
"And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:

But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection." KJV

The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,

Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:

Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.

And last of all the woman died also.

Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven." Matthew 22: 23-30

Could Jesus have been any plainer?

A duel marriage in the Old Testament was one of constant bickering and choosing sides between members of the family, just as it proves to be in Mormon and Muslim marriages today. The Bible teaches that the re-marriage of any man or woman whose partner has died has the blessing of the Lord to re-marry. Would that not also become a major problem in Heaven, if earthly duel marriages were to be carried over into the New Jerusalem?

no offence, but did you even read my comment?

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was also wondering if you had really read what Jesus said on the issue of marriage in Heaven.

yes, and I was wondering if you had considered an alternative interpretation of what Jesus said rather than just blindly accepting the apparent meaning on the surface of his words? I'll take that as a No by the way.
I'd also like to point out that what you belive Jesus to have "really said" isn't what he actually said, you're interpreting it Just as much as I am.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amisk

Nov 21, 2004
Wild Rose Country
✟16,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes, and I was wondering if you had considered an alternative interpretation of what Jesus said rather than just blindly accepting the apparent meaning on the surface of his words? I'll take that as a No by the way.
I'd also like to point out that what you belive Jesus to have "really said" isn't what he actually said, you're interpreting it Just as much as I am.

Do accept the Bible as the inspired word of God?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard both sides of the argument. Some use the text in the New Testament that says that in the resurrection there will be no marriage. And others use texts from Old Testament prophets that seem to indicate that there could be marriage in heaven.

My position is that there will be marriage and procreation in the New Earth -- not sure about heaven. What is your position?
Just curious -- what are some of the OT passages that seem to indicate there could be marriage in heaven? (I'm studying the topic of heaven right now and haven't seen anything in the OT talking about marriage.)

Thanks.

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do accept the Bible as the inspired word of God?

:Sigh: here we go again.

YES, of course I do! I love the Bible and believe in it fully, why else would I be quoting scripture to support my belief in the eternality of marriage? but I also very simply believe that when our current understanding of a minor, obscure, non-fundamental passage of scripture does not make sense (the idea that marriage ends at death makes no logical or even Biblical sense, (unless you count the usual understanding of this passage)) it may need a little bit of rethinking.

Just curious -- what are some of the OT passages that seem to indicate there could be marriage in heaven? (I'm studying the topic of heaven right now and haven't seen anything in the OT talking about marriage.)

Thanks.

Genesis 1 & 2
Ecclesiastes 3:14
Song of Solomon 8:6
Malachi 2:16

Those suffice for me anyway :clap:

if Marriage is eternal we have yet another thing to praise God for. do you not see it as a good thing that loving couples should spend eternity together? (please don't dodge that question)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ilys008

Nov 7, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe and subscribe to the meaning of these texts as literal meaning.

The Bible clearly states that there is no marriage in heaven:

"For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven." (Mark 12:25)

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven." (Matthew 22:30)

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1 & 2
Ecclesiastes 3:14
Song of Solomon 8:6
Malachi 2:16

Those suffice for me anyway :clap:

if Marriage is eternal we have yet another thing to praise God for. do you not see it as a good thing that loving couples should spend eternity together? (please don't dodge that question)
Thanks for the references. I don't know if you're directing your question to me, but I'll answer anyway. Yes, I see it as a good thing that loving couples should spend eternity together. Otoh, I don't see it as a good thing for unloving couples to spend eternity together; or couples where abuse is present. And how about couples that have been divorced and remarried?

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I believe and subscribe to the meaning of these texts as literal meaning.

The Bible clearly states that there is no marriage in heaven:

"For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven." (Mark 12:25)

“For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven." (Matthew 22:30)

The Bible does not "clearly state that there is no marriage in heaven"; it clearly states that there is no getting married in heaven, this I shall concede. If you're going to put forward an opposing viewpoint that's fine but can you at least address the arguments that have been presented?

Edit: I notice you are married: can you honestly tell me you take joy from the idea that God ascribes no meaning to your marriage beyond this mortal coil? does it not bother you to think that you and your wife's relationship shall end at the grave never to grow, never to be enjoyed, never to be experienced again? I don't see how you can be okay with that without being dead inside.

Thanks for the references. I don't know if you're directing your question to me, but I'll answer anyway. Yes, I see it as a good thing that loving couples should spend eternity together. Otoh, I don't see it as a good thing for unloving couples to spend eternity together; or couples where abuse is present. And how about couples that have been divorced and remarried?

You're welcome :) sorry I suppose I should have been clearer - I was directing it at anyone who would actually listen to my arguments, unlike most on this thread, but thanks for the answer anyways. I imagine that since it is not God's will that divorce and remarriage (let alone abusive and/or unloving marriages) should even occur, we should assume that the Lord finds some way to mend things, and be that the discontinuation of such marriages then so be it, but that doesn't mean we should therefore assume that all marriages should be annulled at the gates of eternity, it Just doesn't make sense :confused:

I would also mention that there are one or two NT passages also (e.g. Matthew 18:18) that support the idea of marriage in heaven: Praise Jesus that this filthy and corrosive doctrine of "till death do us part" is an unbiblical false one! :clap::amen::pray::prayer::bow:

Pax Christi; His will be done

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cactusrose

Sep 18, 2012
✟889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The til death us do part for me only means physically here on earth.Including Im "physically " and morally free to marry again if I so choose.However in no way does that mean to me that I won't in heaven see and experience my husbands soul who is already there.I would like to look at that all of us will be "married' to each other in a sense in perfect love.There is no grief in heaven.

But I agree its not healthy IMHO to try and insist or push the idea on someone that there spouse will completely dissapear once they die or when you both die for eternity and that you will have no meeting ever again.Even if you don't believe its a marriage in the same sense as here on earth.Many many people take comfort they will meet their loved ones again in heaven including spouses.Its probably not productive to say all you have is here on earth then thats the end of it.In fact it in a way makes your entire relationship(all of them) simply all about your flesh.

But that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like Luther-"I am married to the book of Galatians" 3:28

parallel7.gif
New International Version (©1984)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
New Living Translation (©2007)
There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.
English Standard Version (©2001)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. New American Standard Bible (©1995)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ilys008

Nov 7, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not "clearly state that there is no marriage in heaven"; it clearly states that there is no getting married in heaven, this I shall concede. If you're going to put forward an opposing viewpoint that's fine but can you at least address the arguments that have been presented?

Edit: I notice you are married: can you honestly tell me you take joy from the idea that God ascribes no meaning to your marriage beyond this mortal coil? does it not bother you to think that you and your wife's relationship shall end at the grave never to grow, never to be enjoyed, never to be experienced again? I don't see how you can be okay with that without being dead inside.

You're welcome :) sorry I suppose I should have been clearer - I was directing it at anyone who would actually listen to my arguments, unlike most on this thread, but thanks for the answer anyways. I imagine that since it is not God's will that divorce and remarriage (let alone abusive and/or unloving marriages) should even occur, we should assume that the Lord finds some way to mend things, and be that the discontinuation of such marriages then so be it, but that doesn't mean we should therefore assume that all marriages should be annulled at the gates of eternity, it Just doesn't make sense :confused:

I would also mention that there are one or two NT passages also (e.g. Matthew 18:18) that support the idea of marriage in heaven: Praise Jesus that this filthy and corrosive doctrine of "till death do us part" is an unbiblical false one! :clap::amen::pray::prayer::bow:

Pax Christi; His will be done

What is your struggle to go to heaven? Marriage? What if really there is no marriage in heaven, are you upset? If so you might as well ask God not to save you if there is no marriage in heaven. You will not be happy there I assume. What if you are saved and later find out that your spouse isn't there, are you insisting to get married? Or you ask God to return you back to this earth?

OK Matthew 22:30 says that in heaven we are like angels. There is no biblical record saying that there is marriage among angels in heaven. Heaven is the home of the saved for a thousand years. What is the purpose of marriage in heaven for the saved? I don't believe God intended to populate heaven with human beings.

Peace be unto you.

Upvote 0

His will be done

Trust in the Lord
Jul 8, 2011
✟15,209.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Like Luther-"I am married to the book of Galatians" 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

we have no reason to think this means a genderless heaven, the dead are often depicted in the Bible with gender; it means both in and out of context that all, including men and women, are equal in Christ.

What is your struggle to go to heaven? Marriage? What if really there is no marriage in heaven, are you upset? If so you might as well ask God not to save you if there is no marriage in heaven. You will not be happy there I assume.

When did I say any of that? I have no such "struggle" to go to heaven, and do you really think I take Jesus' offer of salvation so lightly that I would stake it on whether or not Marriage continues in heaven . you seem to have misunderstood my position: I do not begrudgingly submit to the idea of a heaven without marriage and feel upset about going to such a place- I believe sincerely that the Church's historic understanding of these passages is wrong and I seek to correct it. If I arrive before Jesus and am informed that there is no marriage in any form in heaven I will simply repeat the same motto of mine that has seen me through all the trials and dark times of this world: His will be done.

What if you are saved and later find out that your spouse isn't there, are you insisting to get married? Or you ask God to return you back to this earth?

just so we're clear, I'm not actually married, I'm barely old enough, without giving you my exact age. I do feel passionate however about eradicating what I believe to be an evil, unbiblical doctrine (albeit a very small one) that has settled into the church like a sleeper agent from Satan. Again, if I discover myself to be wrong upon entering heaven, I will rejoice in the presence of the Lord Jesus and forget such an issue entirely, but I don't believe that this is the case. I really don't want to come across as antagonistic but it would seem that you don't take me very seriously as a follower of Christ if you think I have such a trivial and childish approach to heaven.

OK Matthew 22:30 says that in heaven we are like angels. There is no biblical record saying that there is marriage among angels in heaven. Heaven is the home of the saved for a thousand years. What is the purpose of marriage in heaven for the saved? I don't believe God intended to populate heaven with human beings.

the Lucan record of this dialogue goes into more detail and inserts "and they cannot die"before "for they will be like the angels", I believe that Jesus was referring to this when he said that we will be like angels. Now on the issue of the purpose of marriage in heaven, not to be patronising but it's really quite simple: love. Enjoyment, happiness and love. Now I can preemptively see you saying here "but God will provide us with all the Enjoyment happiness and love we could want", well amen! but if that is the case to the point where God's love will exclude the marriage relationship from existance, why did he bother creating Adam and Eve a married couple in the first place? God's presence was with them fully before the fall, and he provided them with the full measure of his love and affection, and yet God still said "it is not good for the man to be alone, I will make a suitable helper for him."? God's original design involved marriage (and procreation); the resurrection will see the creation of a new heaven and a new earth, and the resumption of God's original design that began with Adam and Eve, including the command to "go forth and multiply".
also, please don't avoid the question: as a married man, how can you take any comfort from the idea that you will never be with your wife in heaven?

Peace be unto you.

Thank you :) and to you :amen:

The gospel is true. Gods word is true.

amen :amen:

Can I just point out that no one has refuted the Scriptures I brought up in support of this issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0