Will the Synod on Synodality follow Jesus as the Way to a true Catholic vision, or will it give us a substandard sociological substitute?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was asked to write about synodality for The Thomist, an academic journal, I tried to say no. I had not been avidly following developments, but I had noticed a lot of ersatz sociology, generally of poor quality, as well as a marked absence of the name of Jesus Christ.

The editor prevailed, however, and, for my sins, I decided to take a fresh look at the topic. I took my starting point from the etymology of synod, as a way (hodos) that comes together (syn). As I explored the language of “way” in the Scriptures, I discovered some important guideposts for an understanding of synodality that rises to a truly Christian (as opposed to merely sociological) level. In this essay, I will summarize those guideposts.

The most obvious referent for the word “way” is Christ Himself, who is “the Way and the Truth and the Life” (Jn 14:6). But the term “way” is first found in the Hebrew Scriptures, which speak of God’s way of righteousness, given to Israel in His law. “For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish” (Ps 1:6). “The way of the righteous is level; O Just One, you make smooth the path of the righteous” (Is 26:7). This language is developed in the New Testament. “For John came to you in the way of righteousness…” (Mt 21:32). “They have left the straight road and have gone astray, following the road of Balaam son of Bosor, who loved the wages of doing wrong…” (2 Pt 2:15). The “straight road” or “way of righteousness” is intimately connected with following God’s law. “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way (hodos) is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the way (hodos) is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it” (Mt 7:13–14).

Christ takes up these exhortations to righteousness and connects them to His Person; now the way of righteousness is not a matter only of following God’s law but following the Way Himself, in person. Even the Pharisees allowed that Jesus was “sincere, and [taught] the way of God in accordance with truth” (Mt 22:16), but He was something even more: the Way Himself.

Continued below.