Will God remove romantic feelings if they're for the wrong person?

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I asked this because I asked the guy that's a Christian who happened to know that I already have feelings for him but I didn't know at the time he knew that already. I came to him one day and told him I didn't want these feelings because I was having these feelings for someone and I realized that it was wrong and I told him that if he could pray that God removed these feelings and he told me he wasn't going to pray for that because he said that God give us control over our emotions. I was kinda of shocked he said no because he always pray with me when I ask why is this different.

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How many times have you prayed together? (And all the other questions...)

Not many men are capable of praying with a woman they dont want to have feelings for.

I had to part ways with a friend who insisted its not possible for me to be involved, spiritually, with women who are not my wife.

Upvote 0

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How many times have you prayed together? (And all the other questions...)

Not many men are capable of praying with a woman they dont want to have feelings for.

I had to part ways with a friend who insisted its not possible for me to be involved, spiritually, with women who are not my wife.
What do you mean by this "Not many men are capable of praying with a woman they don't want to have feelings for"
We prayed 3 times and it was about me finding a husband and me be delivered from a negative spirit and getting a better job. We work to together also.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by this "Not many men are capable of praying with a woman they don't want to have feelings for"
We prayed 3 times and it was about me finding a husband and me be delivered from a negative spirit and getting a better job. We work to together also.
His prayers aren't going to be effective because he wants to be with you..

Reactions: Emma2332
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I asked this because I asked the guy that's a Christian who happened to know that I already have feelings for him but I didn't know at the time he knew that already. I came to him one day and told him I didn't want these feelings because I was having these feelings for someone and I realized that it was wrong and I told him that if he could pray that God removed these feelings and he told me he wasn't going to pray for that because he said that God give us control over our emotions. I was kinda of shocked he said no because he always pray with me when I ask why is this different.
God will remove those feelings if you take active steps to not feed into them yourself. Going to the person you have feelings for asking for prayer seems a bit manipulative. It’s best to avoid this person as much as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God will remove those feelings if you take active steps to not feed into them yourself. Going to the person you have feelings for asking for prayer seems a bit manipulative. It’s best to avoid this person as much as possible.
No it's not manipulative my reason for it was because we prayed together for something and a few months later the prayer was answered that's why I asked him to pray with me because I prayed for something that I wasn't seeing results for them suddenly we prayed together and God spoke.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it's not manipulative my reason for it was because we prayed together for something and a few months later the prayer was answered that's why I asked him to pray with me because I prayed for something that I wasn't seeing results for them suddenly we prayed together and God spoke.
You could have found someone else to pray with you. I’m just saying, if I was in his position, I’d find it kind of creepy for lack of a better word.

Upvote 0

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could have found someone else to pray with you. I’m just saying, if I was in his position, I’d find it kind of creepy for lack of a better word.
Well first of all I had no clue that he even knew I had feelings for him and second of all I don't have people of the Christian faith to pray with. Creepy! Sorry u feel that way but I said what I said u have a great rest of your day Sir!

• Wow
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well first of all I had no clue that he even knew I had feelings for him and second of all I don't have people of the Christian faith to pray with. Creepy! Sorry u feel that way but I said what I said u have a great rest of your day Sir!
Look. I did not mean to offend. We all know that prayer requests can send messages and can actually be used for gossip in Churches, etc. By the way, I’m female. Shouldn’t this be in Christian Advice instead of Signs/Gifts?

If you ask what people think you may not always like it but that’s what happens. Sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I told him that if he could pray that God removed these feelings and he told me he wasn't going to pray for that because he said that God give us control over our emotions
In a sense he is correct. Those are your emotions and no amount of prayer is going to change you unless you truly desire the change. God not going to violate your will through his prayers. Our emotions are stumbling blocks when it comes to God.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I see nothing wrong with asking God to help in this area. Emotion is beyond our control. We do not have to obey emotion, that is true. I've been in the same position and I asked God for help. He did. As Laodicean60 said, emotion can be a stumbling block. We need emotion in order to express ourselves correctly. Imagine listening to a sermon where the preacher did not show any emotion at all. It would be booooring. But like our thoughts and our will, they must come into line with the leading of the Holy Spirit within us.

It is possible to develop an emotional attachment that is not good for us. We can ask God to sever the tie. Easy? No. Possible? With God, yes.

Reactions: Emma2332
Upvote 0

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see nothing wrong with asking God to help in this area. Emotion is beyond our control. We do not have to obey emotion, that is true. I've been in the same position and I asked God for help. He did. As Laodicean60 said, emotion can be a stumbling block. We need emotion in order to express ourselves correctly. Imagine listening to a sermon where the preacher did not show any emotion at all. It would be booooring. But like our thoughts and our will, they must come into line with the leading of the Holy Spirit within us.

It is possible to develop an emotional attachment that is not good for us. We can ask God to sever the tie. Easy? No. Possible? With God, yes.
Thank you, thank you this made a lot of sense, emotional attachment is strong and I don't see why it will be wrong to pray for that to be severed when it's affecting me negatively. I'll pray. I just didn't know exactly know the proper words to say. Thanks

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Both are true. People can pray for you to have strength. But you have to do the work: "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" 2 Cor 10:5

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Romantic feelings come through the flesh, therefore because God never put them there in the first place, it doesn't seem to make sense that He would remove something that He never originated. Paul teaches that because the flesh wars against the Spirit, we must, with the help of the Spirit, discipline ourselves so we are not dominated by the flesh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romantic feelings come through the flesh, therefore because God never put them there in the first place, it doesn't seem to make sense that He would remove something that He never originated. Paul teaches that because the flesh wars against the Spirit, we must, with the help of the Spirit, discipline ourselves so we are not dominated by the flesh.
Thanks for your comment but God is our helper and he answered my prayers already on the matter thank u though.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you all for your opinions but God has resolved my issue. Any other opinions on this will not be responded to, thank you and have a blessed day!

I was about to reply, but as I finished reading, there was this post.:cool:

For what it's worth, I was going to say in my experience, no - but I wish! It would have made things so much easier in certain circumstances!

Upvote 0