Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Heironymus I have been banned from many sites and had many a post deleted over the years Muslim and Christian for bringing up the question.

No, you keep getting banned for mocking and degrading the religion of others on a forum which prohibits this.

we must work against inequalities and violence!!

Then utilize your energy in working against inequalities and violence instead of attacking a religion of over 1.2 billion people.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Fizzywig, Yes there have been violent Christians, but they are not following Christ's commands.

Why do people want to ignore that this violence is part of Mohammad's teaching?

Because it isn't. Muhammad did not allow the targeting of non-combatants. That effectively excludes acts of terrorism.

Your No True Scotsman argument doesn't hold water if we know what each religion actually teaches.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
And that is why this argument is lame. The situation we are living with cannot be whitewashed because of what happened with other people--none of who are alive today and none of whom are us.

Nobody is trying to whitewash the current situation. But there are people trying to blame a religion which has been around for more than 1400 years for something that has been going on for only the last thirty or forty years. What sense does that make?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The Koran is the font of Islams teaching not Mohammad.

The Prophet's example is vital too but difficult to ascertain because of the relative weakness of the sourcess.

I am not an expert but I do know that any verse found in the Koran must be related to the time/historical context it was given in.

Of course.

That the actual Surahs of the Koran - except for the first - are purely given according to length, makes it difficult to interpret.

Yes, but Muslims do distinguish those revealed in Mecca from those revealed in Medina.

As with all so called "holy" books, it is all in the interpretation.

True, a point Will McCant's makes very persuasively: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-06-16/islamic-scripture-not-problem

I have seen the claim made that while Christians who hate do so in defiance of the Christian texts, Muslims do so because of the intrinsic teachings of the Koran.

I find that unconvincing. Already today, on this very forum, my own call for unity and Universalism has been rejected by one quoting the words of Jesus concerning "not peace but a sword, not peace but division."

Precisely.

Reactions: Fizzywig
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That any movement that is engaged in evil in our world today and is a genuine concern ought to be alibied for by saying "some other people in the past did some things like this, too."

Nobody here or anywhere else is alibiing jihadists. The problem is with the attempt to blame an entire religion for that evil.
If that thinking were consistently applied, we would have no basis for criticizing ANY wrongdoing in our own societies. Yet, interestingly enough, the people who use that argument to alibi for such as Islamofascism

Islamofascism is a made-up term which makes no more sense that Christianstalinism no matter how much I despise Putin. Such labels do not address the problems.

What if everyone simply applied this technique and said "Well, there was something like this being done in another time and place and by different people--so this issue here can't be considered serious enough to address?"

Except you guys don't address it, you merely use it to demonize an entire religion.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟767,205.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
It's mainly the White House which has the intention of tearing down the country so that it can be rebuilt into a third world nation, ....
Credibility has been lost with statements like this.

Reactions: smaneck
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I've read other articles like the one I linked below that have all said similar things about Saudi Arabia and their spread of Wahhabism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alastair-crooke/isis-wahhabism-saudi-arabia_b_5717157.html?

More truth to that but there are also some significant differences as well. The Saudis never claimed the Caliphate, number one. Read Will McCant's book ISIS Apocalypse and you'll see the difference between ISIS and other Salafi forms of Islam. But all these Neo-Kharijites are dangerous.

http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/neo_kharijites_not_islamic_fascists/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If we look at history, everything we see radical Muslims doing, radical Christians have also done. Some of the worse torture designed and practiced by man has been at the hands of Christians. We all have our dark side.
Only if you can shift back and forth between tenses. And we are not radical Christians from the Middle Ages. But Islamofascism is real and it's now. How people can not understand this most basic fact of the matter is amazing.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why is Islam protected?
The exact same basic reason christendom has always been 'protected' or defended or even rewarded when they went to unjust wars and slaughtered any number of men , women and children throughout history.
And any other country or religion also - the 'victor' always "protects" itself as if it was right and necessary,
and
apparently VERY OFTEN re-writes history accordingly (to make it look that way when it is not).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Islam isn't doing this. There are some Muslims doing this. And right now thousands of Muslims are being killed by Christians.

Where is this happening? I do know that many Christians are being killed by Islamists.

Can you or provide links please? I haven't heard about thousands of Muslims being killed by Christians "right now", and I would like to know if that is true.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I find that unconvincing. Already today, on this very forum, my own call for unity and Universalism has been rejected by one quoting the words of Jesus concerning "not peace but a sword, not peace but division."

What exactly do you mean by "Universalism" and unity?

Upvote 0