London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry if this post doesn't fit into this thread but I wasn't sure where else to write it.

So, many years ago I dated a guy (let's call him Andy) who asked what my religion was before we startes dating and I said I didn't really have one which was the truth and he said he was a Christian but he used to drink quite often(if that's relevant) and I used to drink with him but even when we were drunk he would talk about Jesus and I hated it. One time I burst out in tears and asked him to stop because it made me so uncomfortable. Why was my reaction so strong? I mean we were both drunk and alcohol used to make me overly emotional (I don't drink anymore) but getting that worked up? Do you think it was God working in me or do you think it was something else? Now I love it when people talk about God because I've given my life to Christ but what was going on back then?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,776,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry if this post doesn't fit into this thread but I wasn't sure where else to write it.

So, many years ago I dated a guy (let's call him Andy) who asked what my religion was before we startes dating and I said I didn't really have one which was the truth and he said he was a Christian but he used to drink quite often(if that's relevant) and I used to drink with him but even when we were drunk he would talk about Jesus and I hated it. One time I burst out in tears and asked him to stop because it made me so uncomfortable. Why was my reaction so strong? I mean we were both drunk and alcohol used to make me overly emotional (I don't drink anymore) but getting that worked up? Do you think it was God working in me or do you think it was something else? Now I love it when people talk about God because I've given my life to Christ but what was going on back then?
Guilt maybe? Who knows? Alcohol in excess can do strange things.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Even though you were not a Christian back then. You can still feel guilt when your doing something you feel, is the wrong thing to do.

I would never discuss Jesus or Christianity, if I was drinking alcohol, never. But that is a personal and subjective response. Different people have different opinions on these things.

It is possible that the Holy Spirit was already active in your life, before you became a Christian.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟366,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

An awakening?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are many unresolved issues that most all people have. Likely, those that you cried about are still unresolved since you didn't talk about them or continue crying which would have helped resolve them. They will resurface eventually.

Upvote 0

MissH84

Jan 12, 2019
London
✟23,868.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you all for your responses. This wasn't a regular thing and as far as I can remember the crying over the "Jesus thing" only happened once or twice. I don't know if I cried because I didn't feel right talking about Jesus while drunk or because I didn't wanna hear about Him at all.

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Well you said alcohol made you overly emotional?
Also, our fallen spirit does not want to hear those things about God, Jesus in particular. We cringe until we get our spirits right with God.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Conviction of sin.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,129.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love it when people talk about God because I've given my life to Christ but what was going on back then?
Very many people welcome thoughts of God but rarely welcome Jesus of Nazareth for some reason. It may have been a direct wooing/calling/hearing that brought about a fleshly reaction to a choice being put before you. Knowing God but not knowing Him in the flesh, cause we’re not to think of Him in that way any longer. At that time it may have been an adverse reaction to personal thoughts about God, sorta an affront of Kiss the Son lest He be angry.
Many at my bible study group couldn’t make the transition of reading Jesus’ Name into the Psalms. It’s definitely a stronghold that sets itself against the knowledge of God.

The water’s above 10 feet high and rising around here. The dairy of the province I live in have no chickens left. A months worth of rain in 48 hours. Now the levis of the drained lake have burst and the valley is filling. The main (only) artery of the old Kettel Valley that connects the coast to the interior is severed.

So I may be looking at it from different-coloured eyes.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,129.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
V
So I may be looking at it from different-coloured eyes.
It appears that infrastructure is of vast importance to humans in co-operation with God to withstand His corrections. What has hit BC lately with more to come to the northern region is the same type of Atmospheric River system that hit California not long ago. There is a balance to nature that no cardboard castle can withstand. Repairs only move forward in co-operative union with God. FFT for thinkers to think on.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,963.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes. God was working in you. God gave us conscience which is always trying to bring us back to him. Drunk or not conscience is always working because God is always with us.
May God Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

It was the power of Satan that made you uncomfortable. You should get baptized if you haven't yet. The devil will work on you hard if you have given your life to Christ but are not yet baptized. He will lie, and trick you and scheme....and try to prevent your baptism!
H

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Probably your conscious at war with your spirit. We are held in time and you had not yet 'become' a Christian in your mind yet God already saw you as a Christian because he sees forward and backwards through time. So in one sense you were already a Christian before becoming one, you had been called but had not yet responded in the time line you were trapped in. Obviously we have to progress along our own time line of being born, becoming a Christian and death (unless Jesus comes first) we can't skip around time.

I assume what your were feeling guilt over sin and it can be a very uncomfortable feeling and one you would wish to avoid feeling. As the feeling of guilt grew you became angry because anger is a different feeling and it could pull you away from the feeling of guilt and having a row would stop your bf from carrying on with the conversation that created the guilt.

Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
That is how I view predestination. God doesn't go "I like the look of this one, I will pick them." No, God has already seen who will come to him so those are the ones he has called.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟745,333.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Whatever happened in the past is the past, you don't need to worry about it. It could well have been a Spiritual thing, often our emotions are carried, enlivened, enraged, by spiritual forces when we are not believers. It can even happen to a believer.

As an example I used to get into rages with my wife, I would feel the anger rising up in me (I was a Christian), but God let me know I should never be angry with my wife. It was not God that made me angry it was a spiritual force, a demon. I learned to resist the feeling and now I am rarely ever angry with my wife.

Upvote 0