Why was King David a redhead?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know this sounds like a silly question and it doesnt really have that much meaning or significance, but its just a random question I had.

The Bible said King David had ruddy, or reddish hair?

Red hair is a european gene found mostly in the British Isles, and while some middle eastern people, like Jewish and Turkish people, look European, I dont think any of them have red hair.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know this sounds like a silly question and it doesnt really have that much meaning or significance, but its just a random question I had.

Red hair is a european gene found mostly in the British Isles, and while some middle eastern people, like Jewish and Turkish people, look European, I dont think any of them have red hair.

Go to the Wikipedia page on Red Hair. You'll be surprised to find just how wrong you are on this.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So youre saying his grandmother was European? Theyre usually the only people with red hair.

There are actually many Semitic, and Middle Eastern people with blonde and red hair.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Ruddy" refers to skin complexion.

I've never seen any definition of "ruddy" meaning "red'haired" unless the word was used specifically as an adjective for hair. Used alone to describe a person, it refers to skin complexion.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Ruddy" refers to skin complexion.

I've never seen any definition of "ruddy" meaning "red'haired" unless the word was used specifically as an adjective for hair. Used alone to describe a person, it refers to skin complexion.

What skin color is "ruddy"? Ive never heard of that.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ruddy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which verse are you looking at that describes David? I'd like to see what Strongs has to say.

1 Samuel 16:12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.

If ruddy is skin color, ive never heard of people having "red skin", outside of native americans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Samuel 16:12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.

If ruddy is skin color, ive never heard of people having "red skin", outside of native americans.

Strong's H132 - 'admoniy
red, ruddy (of Esau as infant)

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So youre saying his grandmother was European? Theyre usually the only people with red hair.

In all probability she was Semitic just like the other people who lived in that land, but who knows? We just know that she lived in Jericho, and God went to a lot of trouble to get her out before His judgement fell on the city.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does that word refer to hair color, or skin complexion?

From the 1828 Revised Websters Dictionary:

Ruddy (a.) - Of a red color; of a lively flesh color, or the color of the human skin in high health. Thus we say, reddy cheeks, ruddy lips, a reddy face or skin, a ruddy youth; and in poetic language, ruddy fruit. But the word is chiefly applied to the human skin.

Just means that david was healthy, with fair skin complexion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pope Gregory

Dec 20, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
✟7,802.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private

"One of the more fascinating finds in this tomb, one that has not received much attention, was the preservation of a sample of Jewish male hair. The hair was lice-free, and was trimmed or cut evenly, probably indicating that the family buried in this tomb practiced good hygiene and grooming. The length of the hair was medium to short, averaging 3-4 inches. The color was reddish."
The Only Ancient Jewish Male Hair Ever Found - Biblical Archaeology Society

Upvote 0