Minnesota
✟220,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Trump is not charged with any wrongdoing in reaching a “hush money settlement” with Daniels. He is charged with entering those payments in his accounting register as “legal retainer” with the specific intent to aid and conceal another crime. The prosecutors are mum about what Trump should have put in his register. Perhaps if he had entered “legal bologna” or “legal extortion payments,” he would be in the clear.
Trump never sought a tax deduction on the payments, and was apparently following the legal advice of his now-discredited and convicted fraudster lawyer, Michael Cohen. Prosecutors must not only prove it was wrong to enter these payments in the manner Trump did, they must prove it was done with criminal intent."
A jury of all never-Trumpers should not be allowed.

Reactions: Vambram

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,252,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A jury of never-trumpers like me would acquit him and still not vote for him.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟565,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Trump is not charged with any wrongdoing in reaching a “hush money settlement” with Daniels. He is charged with entering those payments in his accounting register as “legal retainer” with the specific intent to aid and conceal another crime. The prosecutors are mum about what Trump should have put in his register. Perhaps if he had entered “legal bologna” or “legal extortion payments,” he would be in the clear.
Trump never sought a tax deduction on the payments, and was apparently following the legal advice of his now-discredited and convicted fraudster lawyer, Michael Cohen. Prosecutors must not only prove it was wrong to enter these payments in the manner Trump did, they must prove it was done with criminal intent."
This is such a disingenuous take. For one thing, he should've been charged, along with Cohen, with campaign finance violations. I don't know why he wasn't. Second, on what basis do the authors claim that Daniels was trying to extort Trump? She first talked to the press about this in 2011, which prompted a lawsuit threat from Trump/Cohen.

I was curious to know who the author was - unsurprisingly, he's a talking head on Fox News.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And it won't be. That's what voie dire is for.

-- A2SG, seems the judicial system already thought of that.....

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟148,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is such a disingenuous take. For one thing, he should've been charged, along with Cohen, with campaign finance violations. I don't know why he wasn't. Second, on what basis do the authors claim that Daniels was trying to extort Trump? She first talked to the press about this in 2011, which prompted a lawsuit threat from Trump/Cohen.

I was curious to know who the author was - unsurprisingly, he's a talking head on Fox News.
The campaign finance charge has already been tried with John Edwards. It didn’t work then and if it sticks this time it will be reversed on appeal

Following his 2008 presidential campaign, Edwards was indicted by a federal grand jury on June 3, 2011, on six felony charges of violating multiple federal campaign contribution laws to cover up an extramarital affair to which he eventually admitted. He was found not guilty on one count, and the judge declared a mistrial on the remaining five charges, as the jury was unable to come to an agreement.[2] The Justice Department dropped the remaining charges and did not attempt to retry Edwards.[3]

• Agree
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,128,814.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently persuading the Enquirer to buy stories of his mistresses with the intention of preventing their publication is another aspect.
Even Trump supporters believe he did what he was accused of here...but that he's immune.. or that others got away with it...or there was no intent.
No one will admit to being a
never Trumper--or they will be
In danger from his deranged followers. (Not every follower is deranged.)
I have been on juries and respect the fairness of the process.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟148,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently persuading the Enquirer to buy stories of his mistresses with the intention of preventing their publication is another aspect.
Even Trump supporters believe he did what he was accused of here...but that he's immune.. or that others got away with it...or there was no intent.
No one will admit to being a
never Trumper--or they will be
In danger from his deranged followers. (Not every follower is deranged.)
I have been on juries and respect the fairness of the process.
“Apparently persuading the Enquirer to buy stories of his mistresses with the intention of preventing their publication is another aspect.”
Which law does that violate?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟308,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It would have been legal if he had just written a personal check to pay her off. Instead he used his business and then falsely stated the purpose in the records.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,119,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More information.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,119,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More information from the Wall Street Journal.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The campaign finance charge has already been tried with John Edwards. It didn’t work then and if it sticks this time it will be reversed on appeal
The problem may be that the "expense" was written off as a "legal fee" and deducted from his business taxes, not as an election campaign expense. I don't know what Edwards was charged with. Did he also try to take his mistress payoffs as a business expense against his company's taxes? Did Edwards also file false business papers in furtherance of his scheme to hide his affair?

Following his 2008 presidential campaign, Edwards was indicted by a federal grand jury on June 3, 2011, on six felony charges of violating multiple federal campaign contribution laws to cover up an extramarital affair to which he eventually admitted. He was found not guilty on one count, and the judge declared a mistrial on the remaining five charges, as the jury was unable to come to an agreement.[2] The Justice Department dropped the remaining charges and did not attempt to retry Edwards.[3]
Did any of Edwards' minions get found guilty for payoffs and serve time? Cohen was prosecuted by Trump's own justice department and found guilty - even though he was acting on Trump's behest and behalf.

Read the indictment that @Hank77 gave the link to above.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟148,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem may be that the "expense" was written off as a "legal fee" and deducted from his business taxes, not as an election campaign expense. I don't know what Edwards was charged with. Did he also try to take his mistress payoffs as a business expense against his company's taxes? Did Edwards also file false business papers in furtherance of his scheme to hide his affair?

Did any of Edwards' minions get found guilty for payoffs and serve time? Cohen was prosecuted by Trump's own justice department and found guilty - even though he was acting on Trump's behest and behalf.

Read the indictment that @Hank77 gave the link to above.
I don’t know, you’re saying he committed fraud by listing the payment as a business expense but I thought it was a campaign finance violation that made it a felony.
If he listed it as a business expenditure how is that a campaign finance violation?
That it really should have been listed as a campaign expense?
Seems like that would be improper.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t know, you’re saying he committed fraud by listing the payment as a business expense but I thought it was a campaign finance violation that made it a felony.
If he listed it as a business expenditure how is that a campaign finance violation?
That it really should have been listed as a campaign expense?
Seems like that would be improper.
His co-conspirator has already been convicted of this crime, why wouldn’t it still be a crime?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟148,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His co-conspirator has already been convicted of this crime, why wouldn’t it still be a crime?
In August 2018, Cohen pleaded guilty to eight counts including campaign-financeviolations, tax fraud, and bank fraud. Cohen said he violated campaign-finance laws at Trump's direction "for the principal purpose of influencing" the 2016 presidential election. In November 2018, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to U.S. congressional committees about efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.
He said he violated campaign finance laws (he said)
then he was convicted of lying.
Not exactly a great witness if this is what the case is based on

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟614,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

DOJ has guidance that states they won't indict a sitting president.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟614,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In August 2018, Cohen pleaded guilty to eight counts including campaign-financeviolations, tax fraud, and bank fraud. Cohen said he violated campaign-finance laws at Trump's direction "for the principal purpose of influencing" the 2016 presidential election. In November 2018, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to U.S. congressional committees about efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

Yeah, I don't know why so many people think they have to lie to protect Trump when he obviously hasn’t done anything wrong. Weisselberg is currently doing a second stint of 5 months for perjury.

It astounds me that such an honest and upright man is continually surrounded by liars and criminals and yet remains untainted. I'm convinced its a supernatural struggle taking place and they are there to try to make him fall. I'm so happy he has thus far resisted their influence and operates totally above board. They say birds of a feather flock together, but in this case that is blatantly false.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟148,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I don't know why so many people think they have to lie to protect Trump when he obviously hasn’t done anything wrong. Weisselberg is currently doing a second stint of 5 months for perjury.

It astounds me that such an honest and upright man is continually surrounded by liars and criminals and yet remains untainted. I'm convinced its a supernatural struggle taking place and they are there to try to make him fall. I'm so happy he has thus far resisted their influence and operates totally above board. They say birds of a feather flock together, but in this case that is blatantly false.
I didn’t say he hasn’t done anything wrong, but the people making the cases against him can’t seem to shoot straight and the overzealous charges have turned him into a victim to a large portion of the public. That’s what got him the nomination.
At the rate they’re going they may hand him the presidency

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟197,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Seems to me he's got firsthand knowledge al plus documentation. That's an ideal witness.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,128,814.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is a shame that the trial is not televised (so long as the jury members are not videotaped, as they could be in danger due to Trump's inflammatory remarks.)

Trump has obviously spun his own martyred fantasies before his rapt audience of followers, who desperately need to see the evidence that is presented in the trial so that they will learn the t-r-u-t-h they have been denied.

I hope that there are transcripts available to the public and the media. A "secret" trial plays into a self-identified martyr who seeks to present his own spin on his "persecution."

I don't know what's more disgusting, his grandstanding or the fact that some people believe it.

Upvote 0