✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:
Maybe I should have been more precise. 10 brands, not items. 2,3, and 4 are one. Please post the makes and model #'s of the other items.

Really, give it a rest. How about Kmart? How is it that Kmart went under? Where they not agressively destroying local economies?

You are close though. One drawback in shopping Walmart is a lack of brand selection. Selection at all. I guess that's why the 800 acres of a mall in my town keeps growing.

What you won't admit is that wages, merchandise and affect on local economies are the norm in the retail businesses.

Upvote 0

nigits

Aug 11, 2005
Brew City, Wisconsin
✟7,710.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MethodMan said:
Really, give it a rest. How about Kmart? How is it that Kmart went under? Where they not agressively destroying local economies?

We aren't talking about Kmart. But they did have their share in destroying local businesses. Just not even near the extent of wal-mart.

You are close though. One drawback in shopping Walmart is a lack of brand selection. Selection at all. I guess that's why the 800 acres of a mall in my town keeps growing.

I never said that china-mart puts all local businesses out on the street.

What you won't admit is that wages, merchandise and affect on local economies are the norm in the retail businesses.

I can admit that. Not for wal-mart though. There has never been a giant such as wal-mart. Any comparison would be pointless.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:
We aren't talking about Kmart. But they did have their share in destroying local businesses. Just not even near the extent of wal-mart.

As did any large chain store.

I never said that china-mart puts all local businesses out on the street.

I submit that the local businesses do it to themselves.

I can admit that. Not for wal-mart though. There has never been a giant such as wal-mart. Any comparison would be pointless.

So Kmart, Target, Costco, all paying the same low wage, selling the same stuff and having the same affect on local economies and you bash Walmart because they are the BIGGEST? Why?:scratch:

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MethodMan said:
So Kmart, Target, Costco, all paying the same low wage, selling the same stuff and having the same affect on local economies and you bash Walmart because they are the BIGGEST? Why?:scratch:

Maybe because some love to play David going up against Goliath?

Upvote 0

nigits

Aug 11, 2005
Brew City, Wisconsin
✟7,710.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MethodMan said:

You pretty much answered your own question. Because they are the biggest and they cause the most damage. I hate them all equally, and would never set foot in any of those stores. I love this country too much to wilfully flush it down the toilet and hand it over to China and other massive corporations.

Well, it's been fun but this is getting extremely boring. Before sticking up for these companies I suggest you do yourself a favor and read up on what this wal-mart debate actually entales. If you have any blood pumping through your veins you may look at things differently.

Good day to you, sir :wave:

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:
You pretty much answered your own question. Because they are the biggest and they cause the most damage. I hate them all equally, and would never set foot in any of those stores. I love this country too much to wilfully flush it down the toilet and hand it over to China and other massive corporations.

Well, it's been fun but this is getting extremely boring. Before sticking up for these companies I suggest you do yourself a favor and read up on what this wal-mart debate actually entales. If you have any blood pumping through your veins you may look at things differently.

Good day to you, sir :wave:

Plenty of blood. I'm just not a liberal that wants to destroy what made this country great. As a whole, the US benefits from lower cost items imported from other countries. It benefits those countries too. It is called trade. Just because you support greedy people that want to demand a higher wage for unskilled labor, it doesn't change the fact that we do benefit. If you can't support you family while working for Walmart, go work somewhere else. If you want to shop somewhere esle, go for it. Make no mistake about it. If it were not for these retailers, most people couldn't afford the very things you take for granted.

Since you ran out of any real argument 5 posts ago, I will bid you a good day too. :wave:

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Everything from child slavery to exploiting illegals...it's a bad biz. Wasn't always like that though...when the founder, Sam, died, those who gained control changed a LOT of things.

To be fair, many corporations are ruthless, but not many are frequented everyday by Americans who believe Wal-Mart is a worthy business.

Upvote 0

nigits

Aug 11, 2005
Brew City, Wisconsin
✟7,710.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MethodMan said:
I'm just not a liberal that wants to destroy what made this country great.

No, you are a head in the sand conservative who has cheered efforts to turn this nation into a third world country. I'm all for healthy competition. Get that? HEALTHY! Healthy competition keeps things afloat. Companies which come in and undercut their competitors can and will jack up the prices once the competition is eliminated.

I run a small computer repair business in my hometown. Up until a few months ago it was doing great. I was on my way to adding two more guys when Best Buy moved their Geek Squad into this area. After truckloads of money dumped into commercials, mailers, paper ads, and other advertisements my small business is on its way out the door. Not just mine though. I have talked to 10 other established computer repair shops in the area and they are all having the same problems. I call BB posing as a customer and they are backed up for weeks. Where is the healthy competition here? Nobody can compete with that.

Do you see what you are applauding? You are opening the door and laying down the carpet for the complete destruction of the small business. Once the small businesses goes, centralization goes. When centralization goes, towns go belly up.

Funny how you call me a liberal who wants to destroy what makes this country great when you can't even see what you are doing. But something tells me I am wasting key strokes. People like you are so lost in your twisted view of capitalism that you disregard anything that doesn't fit your twisted view. You don't even realize that you are turning the American dream into an American nightmare.

It's a David and Goliath story. Only this time you are kicking David into the ground while he looks for a stone. What a poor person you are.

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:
No, you are a head in the sand conservative who has cheered efforts to turn this nation into a third world country. I'm all for healthy competition. Get that? HEALTHY! Healthy competition keeps things afloat. Companies which come in and undercut their competitors can and will jack up the prices once the competition is eliminated.

I run a small computer repair business in my hometown. Up until a few months ago it was doing great. I was on my way to adding two more guys when Best Buy moved their Geek Squad into this area. After truckloads of money dumped into commercials, mailers, paper ads, and other advertisements my small business is on its way out the door. Not just mine though. I have talked to 10 other established computer repair shops in the area and they are all having the same problems. I call BB posing as a customer and they are backed up for weeks. Where is the healthy competition here? Nobody can compete with that.

Do you see what you are applauding? You are opening the door and laying down the carpet for the complete destruction of the small business. Once the small businesses goes, centralization goes. When centralization goes, towns go belly up.

Funny how you call me a liberal who wants to destroy what makes this country great when you can't even see what you are doing. But something tells me I am wasting key strokes. People like you are so lost in your twisted view of capitalism that you disregard anything that doesn't fit your twisted view. You don't even realize that you are turning the American dream into an American nightmare.

It's a David and Goliath story. Only this time you are kicking David into the ground while he looks for a stone. What a poor person you are.

How is allowing WalMart to compete with others turning us into a third world country? What third world countries have superstores like WalMart?
Besides, WalMart was one of the biggest donors to the Tsunami disaster.

There are more poor people and middle class that shop at WalMarts than there are rich people. Bush is one of the first presidents in a long time to add provisions in the tax cuts that specifically encourage small business startups, so people will have a tough time blaming him for a small business that can't make a go of it. Lots of small businesses have sprung up where I live, though their main problem seems to be affordable business property, however the new tax write-offs have eased some of their woes.

Upvote 0

nigits

Aug 11, 2005
Brew City, Wisconsin
✟7,710.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
MaryS said:
How is allowing WalMart to compete with others turning us into a third world country? What third world countries have superstores like WalMart?

Wow, did you completely miss the boat on this one.

It's about the elimination of the middle class. Not whether or not Sudan has a wal-mart. This goes way to deep than I would like to go right now.

Besides, WalMart was one of the biggest donors to the Tsunami disaster.

How is that relevant to anything? They have a very bad name out for themselves. To me this is nothing more than a face saver.

There are more poor people and middle class that shop at WalMarts than there are rich people. Bush is one of the first presidents in a long time to add provisions in the tax cuts that specifically encourage small business startups, so people will have a tough time blaming him for a small business that can't make a go of it. Lots of small businesses have sprung up where I live, though their main problem seems to be affordable business property, however the new tax write-offs have eased some of their woes.

This seems like a bunch of scattered thoughts. I have no idea how to respond to this. Are you saying that Bush is truly helping small businesses, or that he is just trying to cover his butt?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:
Are you saying that Bush is truly helping small businesses, or that he is just trying to cover his butt?

Both my sons have a wife and chidren and are now self-employed. After their union sold them out, they started doing the same work on their own. They not only benefitted from the marriage-penalty relief and child tax credit built into the new tax system, but they got thousands of dollars of tax credits for equipment and other things they needed for their business. Officially, they are below middle class, but they now both have homes and paid no federal income taxes while getting back thousands because of the tax credits.

I didn't save the link from the tax site that compiled the data from the IRS, but in 2003 the tax returns indicated that 79% of the people filing in the upper brackets were actually small business owners whom are responsible for more of the new jobs than the big corporations.

Some Democrats even voted against the president's plans to allow small businesses to combine their employee rolls for the sake of purchasing group health coverage.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since when is wanting people who put in a hard days work to earn a fair wage weak-minded? Since when is pure unadulturated greed worthy of pride?

MichaelFJF said:
It's my money. I worked for it. I'll spend it as I see fit. When the ma-n-pa store (or whoever WalMart is accused of putting out of busines) makes a comparable product at a comparable price, I'll investigate. I won't be intimidated into a decision. Nice try. Keep at it - I'm sure some weak-minded people are listening.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Walmart I know as working there for only four months don't really cared about their employees or their families. The employers though are taking care of no matter what they do, little or small mistake, they are like immuned. Sad but true. Really it isn't Walmart itself. But it's the management that I really worry about.

Reactions: MidnightBlue
Upvote 0

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JPPT1974 said:
Walmart I know as working there for only four months don't really cared about their employees or their families. The employers though are taking care of no matter what they do, little or small mistake, they are like immuned. Sad but true. Really it isn't Walmart itself. But it's the management that I really worry about.

Show me a company that isn't like this! It's not just Wal-Mart. There are not many comopanies in this country that care about their employees or families - they will ship your job over to India in a heartbeat.

My family shops at Wal-Mart because that is what we can afford. I will continue to until there is somethinng more competitive around.

There are some of us that really can't afford to shop at these "ma & pa" stores. A buck just doesn't go as far.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nigits said:

Translation: I was overcharging my customers and someone saw a market they could serve the customer better so I had to either 1. close my business because I can't charge what I want (greed), or 2. find a way to compete with the geeksquad. You and your 10 fellow businessmen gave up. How is it that this Geeksquad (young people that can't possibly match your same skills) was able to beat you with all your experience? Because YOU couldn't answer that question, you lost your business. Quit blaming others for YOUR shortfalls.

That's funny, I live in a city of 120k people surrounded by a county that would match the 120k. We have 2 BestBuys, Circuit City, Officemax, Office Depot, Staples... The list goes on. All pay the same wage to their techs. Yet we have over 30 small businesses (storefront Can't even begin to count the people that work from home) that serve the computer repair market. Why? The BB (and others) stop servicing the computer customers after 90 days (unless you buy and extended warranty). How is it you couldn't find a nitch in that market? Never mind, I know why.

I don't feel a sense of entitilement to anything other than my Salvation. You feel entitled to money you haven't really earned. What you call a nightmare, others see as dreams. Must be hard to sleep at night.

That's funny, How was it David was able to defeat Goliath?

Better yet, why don't you get to answering the Kmart question?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ACougar said:
Since when is wanting people who put in a hard days work to earn a fair wage weak-minded?

Who sets the wage?

Since when is pure unadulturated greed worthy of pride?

Good question.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JPPT1974 said:

Why is it the employer's job to care about the employee's family? Isn't that the job of the employee?

Upvote 0