Why over half the businesses in the world are evil

VolatileHamster

Jan 11, 2003
Ask me.
Visit site
✟211.00
Faith
Protestant
In a virtuous market system, both the seller and the buyer benefit. For instance, the seller gets some money in return for a product.

But many times, this is not the case. The seller often times rips off the buyer, thus minimizing the benefit the buyer gets in the transaction, or sometimes eliminating it completely.

It's important if you sell something that your customers benefit. Otherwise, you're just taking money away from them. So this means that you shouldn't trick customers into buying things they won't use. I recently turned down employment at Circuit City, because I find their policy of pressuring customers into buying things to be unethical. This also means that you should provide quality products, and not peices of garbage that break after 2 weeks. You should provide products that work, and make the cusomter fully aware of what he/she is buying before he/she forks over the cash. No tricks. NO taking shortcuts, even if it saves you money.

In this greedy materialistic society that is prevelany in the world, we Christians need to stand out by practicing ethical business practices.

Virtue should come before money, for without virtue, our lives are empty and money means nothing.
Bad business practices is basically stealing.

I know this is pretty obvious stuff, but I never really thought about this before we had a series on money in church. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Reactions: JCFantasy23

his excellence

Our God Is An Awesome God
Feb 7, 2004
Pompano Beach Fl
Visit site
✟372.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree fully, I also would like to add that Good Old Fashioned Customer Service is a MUST, do not put your customers through the ringer so to speak with fancy phone systems that direct them a million places before they land at the right desk, with improper training of staff when it comes to product knowledge, or with a cold impersonal atmosphere.

A Customer must feel like they are important , valued and appreciated. The bottom line is give the kind of service you would expect if you were in their shoes.

When you answer the phone always do so with a smile , the customer may not see it but they do hear it. If they get upset and start yelling, remain very calm and tell them you want to help them sort the problem out , work with them to a solution that is respectable and acceptible to both parties.

I have many years behind me running customer service departments, the one thing that I noticed the most is the ever growing need for customer respect.

When you speak of high pressure tactics, this in my book is a big no no. The customer later regrets the purchase and blames you for not caring enough to let them make their decision based on their hearts not their wallet and your commissions.

I am now in a sales position, BUT if a customer says I just cannot afford this , I will NEVER pressure them into signing on. Though I offer a service that many people need,
I too have been in positions where I cannot afford things I would like, and will NEVER make a customer feel bad for saying no. I simply give them my number to call me at a later date and tell them that I am there for them should they decide later to go with the service.

That shows that I am more concerned with their financial situation than my own pocket book and that they remember later on and guess who they will call?

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Virtue should come before money, for without virtue, our lives are empty and money means nothing.

That shows that I am more concerned with their financial situation than my own pocket book and that they remember later on and guess who they will call?

uh, don't see sale attitude like yours much these days. :) In this period, businesses emphasise on meeting customers' need, but sincerity is surely lacking. Put the customers first, but it's backed by the 'so to make more sales' line. The thing is, it's hard to make money nowadays without making people think they need the product hence there're all these things called.. subtle advertising?

Upvote 0

his excellence

Our God Is An Awesome God
Feb 7, 2004
Pompano Beach Fl
Visit site
✟372.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My boss told me today I talk too much , shmooze he called it. I dont shmooze I create a comfortable conversation with my perspective customers. If they are comfortable with me, they will hear what I have to say and make their own wise decision that is it in a nutshell. He wants all business No chit chat but sometimes a customer needs to know you care , and that they can trust you to help them make the right decisions too.

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As someone who worked in business for many years, I concur that ther is a lot of dishonest business done out there (although I doubt is anywhere near half).

What about the other side of the issue? An awful lot of folks think stealing from a business is somehow ok. In the Insurance industry (I worked in commercial casualty claims for 25 years) we saw an awful lot of fraud, lying and outright theft.

My experience is : as often as a greedy capitolist rips off the innocent consumer - the greedy "little guy" is lining his pockets with someone elses treasure.

Can't say I miss it, working for God is easier on my spirit - and when someone steals from the church I just view it as informal charity.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
VolatileHamster said:
This also means that you should provide quality products, and not peices of garbage that break after 2 weeks. You should provide products that work, and make the cusomter fully aware of what he/she is buying before he/she forks over the cash. No tricks. NO taking shortcuts, even if it saves you money
er...that's kinda why I'm reluctant to go looking for a new car :D
VolatileHamster said:
In this greedy materialistic society that is prevelany in the world, we Christians need to stand out by practicing ethical business practices.
I agree that we, as Christians should stand out in this, at-times, unjust world; shine the Light and NOT go along with how the world operates, as worldy gain is much sought-after and much fought-after. The end-result is that people feel cheated, left out, isolated and outright angry when getting taken advantage of.
You were mentioning high-pressure sales. I worked in sales for three years, each year, every quarter, I'd get pulled aside by my manager who saw numbers and expected me to top them. I looked at people as people, not numbers, so when a customer could've got a better deal elsewhere or if I knew of another store that carried more of what the customer wanted, I'd lead them there (I once WALKED a customer to another store!) but it was no big deal; 'cause to me, that WAS customer service. At the end, I started seeing customers as numbers and I knew that for more than one reason, I needed to get out of that job, so I did.
his excellence said:
A Customer must feel like they are important , valued and appreciated. The bottom line is give the kind of service you would expect if you were in their shoes.
I fully agree. And from the sound of it, your boss has no right to tell you about 'schmoozing' up the customers when you ARE doing your job. I feel that without getting to know my customers (as I still deal with customers in my line of work), there is no relationship established...no trust. And without trust, it is highly unlikely that a customer will come back to you for anything else in the future....unless it is out of desperation. All in all, I think that customer service skills MUST be honed but also valued by employers. There are just so many people unwilling to do their job.

on a sidenote, people don't realize just how bad salespeople are threatened about credit card 'sales.' It may be annoying to have people constantly ask you at the check out if you want to open up a charge account with the store, but quite honestly, they HAVE to ask. They are oftentimes 'shopped' by personel and are given a quota to make by the end of the month. So, it is equally hard for them to constantly ask, sounding much like a parrot, getting cursed at by customers who are sick to death of being asked. So please understand their job requirements as well.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
NOTE: this thread is more than a few days old.
Is still just as pertinent as it always was, when YHWH said it in TORAH, then when KING DAVID (in PSALMS) said a lot of what is here. and later when JESUS said it ..
In this greedy materialistic society that is prevalent in the world, we Christians need to stand out by practicing ethical business practices.
A rare desire, yes. Almost unknown in many places, and not wanted. Actually denied by many - even called "impossible" in today's climate.
As someone who worked in business for many years, I concur that ther is a lot of dishonest business done out there (although I doubt is anywhere near half).
True, it is way way more than half !
... ... ... I know this is pretty obvious stuff, but I never really thought about this before we had a series on money in church. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.
I don't think it's obvious to most people anywhere,
especially/also in churches.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good threads/posts, and I agree with everyone here. The practices we are taught and encouraged to do when working can be deplorable, especially when selling and upselling. I'm not in sales thankfully, I'm terrible at it. I am in customer service and do have to remind myself of avoiding burnout when I start getting too short/moody.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums