Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They do stream oil. That is what is commonly referred to as myrrh, as it is heavily myrhh-infused oil. Myrrh itself is a resin. I don 't know if anyone has done tests to determine what kind of oil it is; I suspect that would be a waste of the oil. Sometimes it will be a scent of roses, too. Blood isn't typical, but has also happened, as is the case of the Czestochowa Icon of the Theotokos, where the icon bled where it was stabbed by invaders.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something that I've heard (I've never encountered any kind of myrrh-related miracles with anything, icons or otherwise):

When an icon streams myrrh, and it's genuine, the myrrh "keeps". If it's a hoax and it's normal, man-made myrrh, then the myrrh will become rancid. When God gives the myrrh in a miracle, it's pretty darn good myrrh... or so they say.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This icon is also going to be at St. Peter's Serbian Orthodox Church in Fresno tomorrow, not just Bakersfield. Pretty exciting....

No, the Icon's going to be at St. George's here in Fresno - the Greek parish. Vespers at St. Peter's has been cancelled so we all can go to the Paraklesis service at six. Hope to see you there, Scott.

But as far as I know this Icon "only" streams myrrh, not blood.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, the Icon's going to be at St. George's here in Fresno - the Greek parish. Vespers at St. Peter's has been cancelled so we all can go to the Paraklesis service at six. Hope to see you there, Scott.

But as far as I know this Icon "only" streams myrrh, not blood.

That is correct. I have been blessed to venerate the Hawaiian Icon of the Theotokos twice. The myrrh is that of a heavenly bouquet. It is oil.

In Australia, when one of the icons started streaming miraculous myrrh in the Antiochian Orthodox Church several years ago, a small sample was taken to a medical lab for analysis. The results: It was 100 percent olive oil. They could not analyze the fragrance in the oil apparently. In nature, you can only get 99 percent pure olive oil.

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is correct. I have been blessed to venerate the Hawaiian Icon of the Theotokos twice. The myrrh is that of a heavenly bouquet. It is oil.

In Australia, when one of the icons started streaming miraculous myrrh in the Antiochian Orthodox Church several years ago, a small sample was taken to a medical lab for analysis. The results: It was 100 percent olive oil. They could not analyze the fragrance in the oil apparently. In nature, you can only get 99 percent pure olive oil.

Well, olive oil is a mix of different chemicals. http://boccadoro.net/pdf/chemical_olive_oil.pdf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The icon of the Panagia Portaitissa at the Iviron Monastery bled.
0354_portaitissa.png

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went tonight at 6pm to Fresno to venerate the Hawaiian Theotokos Icon at a Greek parish. Joseph Hazen was there, too.

It was amazing. On the way up to Fresno Kate (my wife) and I were smelling perfumed incense in the car and we couldn't figure out what was going on? We could smell this incense? Then it stopped.

Then we got up to Fresno and you could smell this bouquet of rose smells barrelling out of that icon. I'm at home now and I still smell a steady stream of it. We were blessed with the holy myrrh oil from it on our heads, arms, etc. It's really a powerful experience. I've never seen anything like it.....

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I still smell the rosey/flowery smell pretty strongly. It was amazing. When I first venerated the icon I thought they had rose candles burning by it, I just wasn't thinking. I realized as I was walking away, "No, that was just the Icon."

The wood frame of the icon, even the glass, was saturated with it. We were very blessed - Reader Nektarios who owns the icon told Father that it doesn't always stream myrrh, but when they brought it into St. George's it started flowing instantly. I told Father "Yep, nobody tops Fresno's devotion to the Theotokos!" Later a friend reminded me "It could be weeping for our city just as much as blessing it."

The oil was different then regular oil too. It was thicker somehow. Anyway I should've been in bed long ago. Happy Sunday everyone.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went tonight at 6pm to Fresno to venerate the Hawaiian Theotokos Icon at a Greek parish. Joseph Hazen was there, too.

It was amazing. On the way up to Fresno Kate (my wife) and I were smelling perfumed incense in the car and we couldn't figure out what was going on? We could smell this incense? Then it stopped.

Then we got up to Fresno and you could smell this bouquet of rose smells barrelling out of that icon. I'm at home now and I still smell a steady stream of it. We were blessed with the holy myrrh oil from it on our heads, arms, etc. It's really a powerful experience. I've never seen anything like it.....

Glory to God! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

glory to Jesus Christ! I remember the first time I venerated the Kursk Root Icon, and how long the fragrance stayed with me. glad you had such an awesome experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I venerated the Hawaiian Icon of the Theotokos in 2010.
Myrrh was flowing steadily from the icon during the Divine Liturgy that preceeded the veneration of the icon. As soon as I entered the church at the beginning of Matins, I noticed the heavenly aroma which became stronger as the Liturgy began.

Upvote 0