Why Memorize

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImHisServant

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord!!
Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Proverbs 2:6

For the Lord gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding

The Bible is God's inspired Word, and it is the tool He has given us to get to know Him and learn from Him.

II Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The more time we spend in His Word, the more we will know Him and His holy character. This is now we begin to fulfill God's goal for us to become like Jesus.

I Timothy 4:7

Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness

The Greek word for "discipline" is gumnasia, and you can probably guess what it means... it translates into our English words gymnasium or gymnastics, and it means "to exercise or discipline" Spending time with God every day is considered spiritual exercise. In order to have a healthy spirutual life, we must discipline--or exercise--ourselves daily in Bible reading and prayer.

A truly vital spiritual discipline is memorizing Scripture. Doing this will help you grow in intimacy with God and will help you be more effective in living out His will for your life. Most of us have memorized a verse here and there, but have you ever memorized an entire psalm or a long passage of Scripture??

I had always claimed that I didn't have a very good memory... but I finally figured out that when it comes to things I love, I remember just fine. This realization convicted me, and I started memorizing passages of Scripture. It is amazing how the passages I commit to memory pop up in my mind just when I need them. Whether I am bing tempted or am presented with a ministry opportunity. God's words are much more powerful than my own.

Hebrews 12:2 says to let us fix our eyes upon Jesus... that means to focus on Him all day... here are some things to do to help you keep the focus on Him and help you memorize scripture:

Write the verses you are momorizing on Post-it notes, and stick them in several places where you will see them during the day.

Write your memory verses in your journal / Blog

Find a friend who will memorize along with you and keep you accountable. You could even offer each other incentives like saying that whoever finishes last has to treat the other to a meal

Say the verses over and over in your mind right before you go to bed. While you sleep, you may unconsciously think about these verses because that was the last thing you thought about before you went to bed. And who knows... it might even be the first thing you think about in the morning.

Reactions: sing4him
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.