Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems like lust (and pride) are so powerful sins. It seems like majority of humanity seem to be infected by them. Why is that? I've always wondered...

P.S. What is meant by passions?

Thanks!

"Passions" are "lusts." "Lust" is any strong physical desire, not limited to sexual desires.

The reason they are so strong is because our minds have been trained to obey our physical desires since the moment we were born. Our minds are much less accustomed to hearing and heeding our renewed spirits.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your response! :)

Are you Orthodox? I'm uncertain what the EOC means by "passions". Are they sort of like "disordered affections" (having affection for something that isn't God) or "disordered appetites) (like lustful thoughts, overeating, pride fulness, arrogance etc).

Thanks!! :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems like lust (and pride) are so powerful sins. It seems like majority of humanity seem to be infected by them. Why is that? I've always wondered...

pride is the root of all sin, because when you sin you are at the very least going against God's will because (even if just in the moment) you know better. lust is powerful I think because in our fallen state, sexual love between married people are salvific for the husband and wife. a priest I know once pointed out that the things that can make us holy (sex within marriage, eating the Eucharist, etc) are often what the devil usually twists to get us off track (lust, gluttony, etc).

P.S. What is meant by passions?

the passions are in a sense our desires, which are not wrong per say but they are out of whack and they control us. the purpose of theosis and attaining dispassion is to put them back in their proper order and to have man in complete control of them.

Upvote 0