Why is LOTR acceptable among Christians...

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read all of the Narnia books as a kid, the allegory completely going over my head at the time. I loved the stories. I have since read most of Lewis's other works, my absolute favorite book of all time being his, Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold. It's Lewis's best work, hands down. He even thought so.

When I was slightly older, I initially read LOTR along with The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, which essentially reads like a history text. I read them again when the movies came out so I could refresh my memory. Tolkien sort of defined the fantasy genre, in my opinion.

Of course, Harry Potter came out when I was already an adult, so I looked at it through adult lenses. Rowling did her research, and incorporated a lot of mythology and allegory into her writing. However, as much as I enjoyed these books, they aren't even in the same league with Tolkien's and Lewis' works. In some places Rowling's quality of writing is truly abysmal. She couldn't even keep her own time-lines together. (Yes- I'm one of those people who easily caught on to her writing mistakes. I can also, sadly, likely answer practically any trivia question on minute topics from her books and even fan fiction tropes.)

That said, having been a public school teacher when the Harry Potter thing really hit it big, I can tell you that some kids did get interested in witchcraft based on these books. I personally know a handful of kids who started practicing Wicca and other forms of paganism due to their reading Harry Potter.

See, I'm not for censoring books. Yet, I do believe in making sure books are age appropriate, and I also believe in having discussions about books with children. Those kids who were easily swayed came from homes where there was no discussion and a lot of neglect.

We don't need to ban books. We need to teach our kids to be critical readers and use their God-given discernment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd say the idea of Twilight is far more disturbing than Harry Potter anyway ;)

Oh, you HAD to go and mention it, didn't you? And I restrained myself ... LOL

(just teasing) :)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd say the idea of Twilight is far more disturbing than Harry Potter anyway ;)

So true. Sparkly vampires and creepy obsessions equals 'gag me with a spoon'. I actually went to see the first movie. It was literally so terrible I wanted a refund. Practically the entire movie consisted of scenes of Edward and Bella staring at each other like adorning loons. I kept looking at my phone throughout to check the time because it couldn't end fast enough for me.

I heard Stephanie Meyers is LDS and that the entire series actually builds up to her view of not getting an abortion even if the mother's life is at risk (I never ventured to see the other movies and I never read the last book- so I can't personally confirm this). However, the books also reflect Mormon doctrines very strongly- which I think showed through in her writing.

I can't say that I'm a fan.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
However, the books also reflect Mormon doctrines very strongly- which I think showed through in her writing.
Can you tell me how? I don't know much about the Mormon faith - or Twilight for that matter.

My husband gave me a 'surprise' one Saturday - it was a trip to the movie theater to see the, um, fifth movie, I think. I rolled my eyes throughout.

Upvote 0
H

HauntedByYou

For myself, there is a difference between teaching and encouraging magic and making magic the centerpiece of a story vs having elements of magic to move a story forward. Potter is about magic. Its the whole story. Its a story about magic. Remove the magic from Potter and there is nothing left.
LOTR on the other hand uses magic as a medium, as a 'character', but not as the focal point. Its not pushing or glorifying magic the same way Potter does. Remove the magic from LOTR and while it disrupts the main storyline of the ring, there is a lot of other elements to the story not focusing on magic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,496,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ring is a magic ring.

I could retell the story plot without magic. I could even place it in modern times. Use a young girl who is valuable because of information she has to a number of powerful organizations, both good and bad. Put her into the custody of an average Joe who has to get her safely to the right organization that can use the information to take down all the bad guys. Give the average Joe some average friends along for the ride, and assign him a former SEAL as a guide.

Just take the plot of the movie "Safe" and enlarge it a bit, taa daa.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could retell the story plot without magic. I could even place it in modern times. Use a young girl who is valuable because of information she has to a number of powerful organizations, both good and bad. Put her into the custody of an average Joe who has to get her safely to the right organization that can use the information to take down all the bad guys. Give the average Joe some average friends along for the ride, and assign him a former SEAL as a guide.

Just take the plot of the movie "Safe" and enlarge it a bit, taa daa.

Why would you want to, though?

Why is it that Christians are horrified of fiction these days? That certainly wasn't always the case. I mean, I'm not exactly a 'fanciful' girl, myself. (I was born in the rust belt, for crying out loud.) But are we really so weak that tales of ents and elves and magic sticks should draw us away from our Lord?

If that is the case, then one must ask whether we are really following him at all...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,496,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would you want to, though?

I didn't say I would.

The point made by HauntedByYou is that LOTR is a bigger story than its magic.

I agree, even to the extent that the same story can be told without magic and contain some of the same big elements of loyalty, faith, heroism, et cetera. LOTR is not about magic.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So is it a considered a sin to watch LOTR?? I have watched it more times than I can count and just want to know if I am condemned? Of course when I watch it I don't think about it quite as hard as some do. I think it's a great action packed movie series.

You gotta read it, man. Or if you hate reading, at least get the 'book on tape'. It's worth it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say I would.

The point made by HauntedByYou is that LOTR is a bigger story than its magic.

I agree, even to the extent that the same story can be told without magic and contain some of the same big elements of loyalty, faith, heroism, et cetera. LOTR is not about magic.

In a sense, magic is an allegory for spiritual power...

It just bothers me that Christianity (Western Protestant Fundamentalist Christianity specifically?), has made such a priority to make theology 'plain' to those who can't tell an analogy from an anal probe that we seem to have lost all ability to tell a story, which is a far cry from the Christ we proclaim.

Your post just stepped into my field of rant. Sorry about that. ^_^

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So is it a considered a sin to watch LOTR?? I have watched it more times than I can count and just want to know if I am condemned? Of course when I watch it I don't think about it quite as hard as some do. I think it's a great action packed movie series.

A sin??? There is no "that shalt not watch LOTR" in the Bible.

The ONLY way it would be a sin is if for some reason you were weak in some way to be watching it, and God would let you know you shouldn't watch it. Then it would be a sin for you.

I was once convicted for watching a harmless TV show that at that time, God was dealing with something in me in my own walk. That does not mean anyone watching that show was sinning. And even if I had decided to watch it, knowing it wasn't the best thing for me ... condemned? That's a strong word.

At one time I knew I should not read Bible commentaries. During that season it was time for me to focus on Scripture and prayer in my study time. Does that mean commentaries are a sin and one is condemned for reading them? Of course not ... it was just me, and just for that season.

Unless you feel conviction about it (assuming you haven't repeatedly hardened yourself to conviction - and you don't sound like someone who has), then I wouldn't worry about it.

Pray, seek God, and He will let you know when you should avoid this or that. Especially in terms of things that are not clearly defined in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I could retell the story plot without magic.
But that's not what is being discussed.

He talked about magic being peripheral in LOTR. It's not. It's about the destruction of an evil, magical ring and its evil, magical creator. To pretend otherwise is just silly.

I could re-write HP too and make it a story without magic. So what. We're talking about what is, not what could be.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What kind of a sin would it be?

No. It's not.

Upvote 0