Not open for further replies.

TheKingOfImmortality

Jun 23, 2007
✟15,915.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Since I have left Christainty I have noticed that Islam seems to be getting more and more followers. I have latly heard that it is actully the fastest growing religon (including here in the US) I have bin seeing alot of youtube converts to the religon and I'm seeing them more ware I work, go to school ect.ect. What I like to know is what is it about Islam that has caused it's growth? What do people like about it? Why have they chosen to convert?

P.S.

This is in no way a anti-Islam thread. I am just starting to notice this and would like to hear your thoughts. Seeing that Islam is the seconed largest religon in the world and its gain in Followers I belive I should learn more about it. (to better understand its people)

seed757

fanatically balanced/radically compassionate
Feb 20, 2006
✟9,176.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Seeing that Islam is the seconed largest religon in the world and its gain in Followers I belive I should learn more about it.

I think this is essentially the answer in many cases (mine included). Once peoples' curiosities are piqued, when it comes to issues dealing with Islam, a hunger for knowledge about what Islam is really all about tends to follow. Especially when the actions of some Muslims are presented in the media that seem to be well out of touch with modern Western mores and ethics.

Which in turn may have a level-headed individual go to the sources of Islamic teaching unbiasedly. Hence, those that actually approach the Qur'an, hadith, or any other authentic Islamic sources with an open mind, an open heart, and without any preconceived ideas about what they think they know about Islam, they may be more inclined to embrace what they have learned about Islam as a way of life. IMO.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste all,

i can actually present evidence to show that $cientology is the fastest growing religion in the United States and the rest of the world!

statistics can be made to say anything.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

Adeeb

Feb 16, 2006
✟1,114.00
Faith
Muslim
Since I have left Christainty I have noticed that Islam seems to be getting more and more followers. I have latly heard that it is actully the fastest growing religon (including here in the US) I have bin seeing alot of youtube converts to the religon and I'm seeing them more ware I work, go to school ect.ect. What I like to know is what is it about Islam that has caused it's growth? What do people like about it? Why have they chosen to convert?

P.S.

This is in no way a anti-Islam thread. I am just starting to notice this and would like to hear your thoughts. Seeing that Islam is the seconed largest religon in the world and its gain in Followers I belive I should learn more about it. (to better understand its people)

well, from my perspective:

“Those whom Allah wills to guide, He opens their breast to Islam. Those whom He wills to leave straying, He makes their breast close and constricted, as if they had to climb up to the skies; thus does Allah lay abomination on those who refuse to believe.” (6:125)

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim

P.S.

Most of what I want to mention is already said by "Seed757" & "Adeeb"

Inaddition to what is already been said, there is a covanent/promise/confirmation from Allah that if anyone from Mankind (Male or Female, Child or old, weak or healthy) takes one step towards the knowledge of Allah then Allah take 10 steps towards that person.

There is a famous prayer most of the scholars pray while gaining knowledge "O Allah! Open the doors of Knowledge for me"

Upvote 0

Islam_mulia

Senior Veteran
Jan 17, 2005
✟6,323.00
Faith
Muslim
Namaste all,

i can actually present evidence to show that $cientology is the fastest growing religion in the United States and the rest of the world!

statistics can be made to say anything.

metta,

~v
Yes, statistics can be a dirty tool to prove something.

I think what is more important is the question of why there are still people becoming Muslims despite the constant negative potrayal of Islam.

Even if a single soul were to accept Islam, to me that is a thousand achievements and a grace from God in guiding those whose hearts are open for guidance.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Yeah, did you know that 41% of the time, statistics are made up on the spot? ;)

I think what is more important is the question of why there are still people becoming Muslims despite the constant negative potrayal of Islam.

Still wondering about that as well. I dunno, unless the people who convert to Islam don't get their portrayals of Islam and Muslims from the media.

*shrugs*

Upvote 0

Islam_mulia

Senior Veteran
Jan 17, 2005
✟6,323.00
Faith
Muslim
Still wondering about that as well. I dunno, unless the people who convert to Islam don't get their portrayals of Islam and Muslims from the media.

*shrugs*
Quite unlikely that the person is not exposed to the media.

My gut feeling is that someone who has a different lifestyle may have come into contact with Muslims who live, act and behave differently. This may have prompt that person to understand why these Muslims are living 'oddly' and through his/her own study decides that Islam is not what was potrayed in the media, and the 'blood-thirsty armed maniac' is more a 'down-to-earth' person who probably does not know what an AK-47 is.

My own brother-in-law, when he was a student, mixed with Muslims in schools, quietly asking questions on the religion, and before long becomes a Muslim.

I suppose many others became Muslims in this and other ways. People may be disillusioned with their current faith and style of living and see Islam as a cure for the ailments of society today.

But what is sincerely more heartening, despite the loud voice that Islam is violent, is that people in the West became Muslims without coersion or force, and which something anti-Islam proponents may want to take note.

Reactions: seed757
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The long and short of it is Islam fills a need, in certain areas it feeds blood lust of the non believers, it fuels xenophobic behavior.. It gives power and prestige to those who would be denied such things in this life. In other parts of the world (the west) believers can use it as a way of rebellion to "established" way of belief.
To show contempt and distain for anyone who doesn't share there belief system or are apart of a political alignment. They get all of this without saying a word..

Or you have the "sheep" who feed where ever the grass is greenest.. they trade off belief as if it were shoes.. (what ever fashion dictates)

Then you have people born into religion, Christianity is plagued with these people too.. They Don't really belive anything "But they have an Idea" Quite simply, they are What they are, because their Fathers were...

As far as islam growth.. I'll say it again, It fills a perceived need.. It gives hope and power to the people who have none. Right now, and after death..
It has stringent rules and swift justice, to the "fanatic" and grace and lace to the "progressive" It can be everything to all people..

Where as "we" only can offer pain and suffering thru life and a "well done good and faithful servant" afterward..

Plus now, main stream Christianity has become such a money making enterprise it's bound to attract all the worst we can offer in greed, lust and all the other things we are becoming known for.. These are the things people remember, not the "Good" we are commanded to do in seceret. How many Muslim Clerics have you ever heard of molesting young boys? Or How many of there leaders of "Super Mosks" have been caught with one hand in the cookie jar and the other on some "other" woman?? How many muslim "Mayors" have we had paying for call girl services while in office??

All of this equates to Hypocrisy in the eyes of the fence sitter.. If you sat the Bench and watched the Game being played for a while, would you choose the side who seems to do nothing but fight among themselves, and has players routinely get ejected, or would you want to be apart of something that makes you feel good and fills your cup?

Just because something is popular doesn't make it right. The way to destruction is a Broad path...

Upvote 0

Futuwwa

Feb 8, 2006
✟5,284.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single

*shrugs*

Well, it is said that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Which is not universally true, but true surprisingly often. The rate of conversions to Islam in USA was actually higher after 9/11 than before it.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is Islam growing?

Mostly because of the spiritual vacuum left by secular materialism.

Remember, however, that a flower grows and so does cancer. Muslims should ask themselves which kind of religion they want to grow, or they will wake up one morning and see that their faith has been hijacked by cancerous cells.

Upvote 0

Futuwwa

Feb 8, 2006
✟5,284.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Well, "fastest growing religion" has such immense prestige value that you can't blame people for trying to lay claims to the honour. And in a country where the religious affiliation of people isn't officially recorded, there is plenty of potential for statistics manipulation. Especially when "fastest growing religion" could either mean in absolute (total number) or proportional (%) terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi!

Islam is indeed the fastest-growing religion in terms of total numbers!

Interestingly, according to non-Baha'i sources such as the World Christian Encyclopedia, the Baha'i Faith is the single fastest-growing religion percentage-wise among those religions already established in over 100 countries!

And according to the Britannica, it's also the second most widespread religion in terms of localities where adherents live! The specific numbers are:

• Christianity 140,000
  • Baha'i Faith 110,000
  • All other religions 90,000 or fewer.
Best regards, :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim
The issue/concern is not the fastest growing religion rather it is Total acknowledgement of Islam and it's recognition.

Islam by it's virtues have the tendency to turn people overnight world-wide level.

The important point to notice is irrespective of people living in western-world (Being FREE of any what so ever dictatorship) tends to embrace Islam.

One can make many excuses by saying it's a vaccume or people who have nothing or whatever the reason is for a person to embrace Islam.... it is by itself a recognition that people do research and they are educated.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Islam is experiencing explosive growth. It's growing like a population bomb. As they wisely expound at Jihad Watch:
It should not be surprising that a violent political ideology is proving so attractive to much of the world. The attractive power of fascist ideas has been proven through history. Islam combines the interior comfort provided by religious faith with the outward power of a world-transforming political ideology. Like the revolutionary violence of Communism, jihad offers an altruistic justification for waging death and destruction. Such an ideology will naturally draw to it violent-minded people while encouraging the non-violent to take up arms themselves or support violence indirectly. Because something is popular hardly makes it benign.
Furthermore, the areas in which Islam is growing most rapidly, such as Western Europe, have been largely denuded of their religious and cultural heritage, which leaves Islam as the only vibrant ideology available to those in search of meaning.

Upvote 0

Rasta

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2007
✟22,444.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I've heard that stats are often talking about different dynamics.

"Fastest growing". What does that mean? If it was "most conversions", wouldn't they say so?

Many faiths claim to be "the fastest growing", but what are the talking about? Exactly the same thing?

I've heard that the "fastest growing" stat that Muslims parade is due to the fact that Mulsims in general reproduce more than other faiths.

Buddhism
The Australian Bureau of Statistics through statistical analysis held Buddhism to be the fastest growing spiritual tradition/religion in Australia in terms of percentage gain with a growth of 79.1% for the period 1996 to 2001 (200,000→358,000).[2]

[edit] Christianity

[edit] Hinduism

The Australian claim for Buddism above has now been superseded by the 2006 census data, which gives the highest percentage gain to Hinduism, with a 193% increase over the 15 years from 1991 to 2006. This is, however, from a small base.[5] The increase may be due to immigration of Hindus from India.

[edit] Islam

Data for Islam reveal that the growing number of Muslims is due primarily to immigration (in the West) and higher birth rates (worldwide). [6].
  • In 2006, countries with a Muslim majority had an average population growth rate of 1.8% per year (when weighted by percentage Muslim and population size).[7] This compares with a world population growth rate of 1.12% per year.[8]
  • According to the "Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life"[9]
“Islam is already the fastest-growing religion in Europe. Driven by immigration and high birthrates, the number of Muslims on the continent has tripled in the last 30 years. Most demographers forecast a similar or even higher rate of growth in the coming decades.”
  • Monsignor Vittorio Formenti, who compiles the Vatican's yearbook, said in an interview with the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that "For the first time in history, we are no longer at the top: Muslims have overtaken us," He said that Catholics accounted for 17.4 percent of the world population -- a stable percentage -- while Muslims were at 19.2 percent. "It is true that while Muslim families, as is well known, continue to make a lot of children, Christian ones on the contrary tend to have fewer and fewer," the monsignor said. [11]
[edit] Wicca

• The American Religious Identification Survey gives Wicca an average annual growth of 143% / 11,454 for the period 1990 to 2001 (8,000→134,000 - U.S. data / similar for Canada & Australia).[1][12]
[edit] Non-Religious

• The American Religious Identification Survey gave Non-Religious groups the largest gain in terms of absolute numbers - 14,300,000 (8.4% of the population) to 29,400,000 (14.1% of the population) for the period 1990 to 2001 in the USA.[1][12].
  • In Australia, census data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics gives "no religion" the largest gains in absolute numbers over the 15 years from 1991 to 2006. from 2,948,888 (18.2% of the population that answered the question) to 3,706,555 (21.0% of the population that answered the question).[13]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to_be_the_fastest_growing_religion

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste Islam_mulia,

thank you for the post.

i wouldn't say that statistics prove anything rather that they provide a certain sort of evidence. in my opinion evidence which is most often favorable to the one presenting the statistic.

perhaps your media exposure depicts Islam in a negative light but i try to consume a broad range of media which gives a more balanced view of things and, of course, i 'm not the sort of being that is too influenced by what the media has to say without doing my own investigation.

i have the distinct impression that the media presents Islam in a wide variety of ways depending on who its customers are and what they want to read/consume.... just like any other business really.

there is also the issue of treating the media as if they have experiential knowledge of that which they write when they clearly, to one with said knowledge, do not.... but that seems like a bit of a separate conversation.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.