Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to state that ignorant people tick me off...

Ignorance--as you all know-- is lack of knowledge or comprehension. Old Testament law distinguished between sins of ignorance or sin unintentionally (Leviticus 4:2,Leviticus 4:13-14; Numbers 15:24-29) and premeditated sins (“sin presumptuously” or with a high hand Numbers 15:30-31). Sins committed in ignorance incur guilt (Leviticus 4:13,Leviticus 4:22,Leviticus 4:27); however, the sacrificial system provided atonement for such sin (Leviticus 4:1; Leviticus 5:5-6). In contrast, “high-handed” or “presumptuous” sin is an affront to the Lord punishable by exclusion from the people of God. The Law provided no ritual cleansing for such sin (Numbers 15:30-31). Common images for sins of ignorance include error (Leviticus 5:18), straying (Psalms 119:10), and stumbling (Job 4:4). By extension these images can be applied to any sin. Thus Proverbs 19:27 warns against willful “erring” from words of divine counsel.

The New Testament speaks of past ignorance which God excuses. Such was the ignorance of those Jews who participated in crucifying Jesus (Acts 3:17; Acts 13:27), of Paul who persecuted Christians (1 Timothy 1:13), and of Gentiles who did not recognize the true God (Acts 17:30). Though God “winks at” such past ignorance, He requires repentance (Acts 3:19; Acts 17:30). Obedience characterizes lives of the converted just as ignorant desires characterize those without Christ (1 Peter 1:14). The New Testament speaks of deliberate ignorance as well as “excusable” ignorance. Most often deliberate ignorance involves the stubborn refusal to acknowledge nature's witness to the powerful existence of God (Romans 1:18-21; Ephesians 4:18; 2 Peter 3:5).

So the only time ignorance is anywhere near bliss is when it saves your life....(as long as you don't sin because of it.

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was a much happier person before I knew of the atrocities of the Holocaust; before I tried to grasp the extremity of eternal hell; before I experienced the pain of unrequited love; before I experienced the pain of familial division; before I learned about calculus.

Ignorance is bliss. A person who is knowledgeable about the world cannot simultaneously be happy.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I would disagree Tissue. I would say that the peace that comes through Christ is the only true way to be happy, and if you are ignorant of that truth, you can not ever be in bliss. Even WITH those revelations, the light of Christ can fill those dark places.

Upvote 0

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I often say "if ignorance is bliss, then apathy is elation..."

That said, ignorance is never truly bliss. As the old saying goes, "knowledge is power".

The truly ignorant suffer torment from unknown sources and are at the mercy of those who know. Knowledge is the key to freedom and love.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would disagree Tissue. I would say that the peace that comes through Christ is the only true way to be happy, and if you are ignorant of that truth, you can not ever be in bliss. Even WITH those revelations, the light of Christ can fill those dark places.
Very true.

I often say "if ignorance is bliss, then apathy is elation..."

That said, ignorance is never truly bliss. As the old saying goes, "knowledge is power".

The truly ignorant suffer torment from unknown sources and are at the mercy of those who know. Knowledge is the key to freedom and love.

Excelent.

Well so it has now been affirmed that "Ignorance isn't bliss":clap::amen:

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
IF this is true. then we are all fools.

And we haven't accomplished anything in all our growing.

If what is true? That the general opinions/arguments of a few people, which haven't reached a proper conclusion, in a forum doesn't prove a point for all time?

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
If what is true? That the general opinions/arguments of a few people, which haven't reached a proper conclusion, in a forum doesn't prove a point for all time?

Well, I provided scriptural back-up.

And you still don't believe....Which troubles me.

Understand that your disagreement with me was utterly futile because Scripture always wins against Word of Knowledge. Unless of course that Knowledge is of the Word.

Upvote 0

Saera

Follow the road less traveled
Jun 1, 2009
Nebraska
✟7,748.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
He's right, ignorance isn't bliss.

Why?

Simply like the others above me stated. Also let me provide an example.

You are a good person who does good deeds, but are un-aware (Ignorant) of the Fact the Jesus is God and is Salvation. You never knew God and you die.

Ignorance at best is false-bliss, because when you die without knowing God, you end up in Hell, regardless of your many good deeds.

The reason I say "false-bliss" is simply because, it seems like bliss when you are ignorant, but when word of knowledge floods your mind of that subject. You are usually glad, escpecially if it means discovering Salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I provided scriptural back-up.

And you still don't believe....Which troubles me.

Understand that your disagreement with me was utterly futile because Scripture always wins against Word of Knowledge. Unless of course that Knowledge is of the Word.

You have an interpretation. I have an interpretation.

People are going to hell. God's ultimate victory will include the eternal damnation of billions. With that knowledge, it is impossible to be happy.

Some pieces of knowledge provide happiness. Others destroy it forever.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,756.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everybody is ignorant about something, so, though it may not be blissful, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It is simply not having knowledge about a subject.

I have no problem saying that I am ignorant as to why some people love reality shows, such as Big Brother. But I am full of bliss that I don't like that show, so, maybe ignorance can be bliss.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.