Why I love the 2nd Amendment......

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The people I know who own assault rifles have them because they enjoy shooting. That's it. No one I know uses an AR-15 for hunting deer or elk. No one I know carries their AR-15 to the bank with them in case someone tries to rob it, so personal protection doesn't make much sense. No one I know thinks that citizens will have to band together to fight the US Army any time soon. The one overriding reason that people own assault rifles is that they think it is fun to fire them. That's it. They think they are cool.

Why is that not a good enough reason?

Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I am saying is that people should at least be honest as to the reason they own these rifles.

I can't speak for anyone else, but all my weapons are bought for use at the firing range. I enjoy shooting. I enjoy shooting many different types of guns, but I don't think I could ever hunt. It doesn't sound like fun, nor would I ever want to kill anything.

It's a very interesting experience to listen to people talk about banning things you own.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The people I know who own assault rifles have them because they enjoy shooting. That's it. No one I know uses an AR-15 for hunting deer or elk. No one I know carries their AR-15 to the bank with them in case someone tries to rob it, so personal protection doesn't make much sense. No one I know thinks that citizens will have to band together to fight the US Army any time soon. The one overriding reason that people own assault rifles is that they think it is fun to fire them. That's it. They think they are cool.

What's really cool is that AR15 owners don't have to present any reason for owning them to anyone. :cool:

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't speak for anyone else, but all my weapons are bought for use at the firing range. I enjoy shooting. I enjoy shooting many different types of guns, but I don't think I could ever hunt. It doesn't sound like fun, nor would I ever want to kill anything.

It's a very interesting experience to listen to people talk about banning things you own.

Some 15 year old boy used an AR 15 to shoot a burgler, in order to protect himself and his 12 year old sister...

Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some 15 year old boy used an AR 15 to shoot a burgler, in order to protect himself and his 12 year old sister...

Yeah, my statement isn't supposed to say that others don't have different reasons for owning weapons. MY personal reason is mostly to do with being a hobbiest rather than for protection or hunting.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I only own one rifle, which I use for deer hunting, but I will use it in self-defense if necessary. So while self-defense is a secondary purpose for owning the rifle it becomes the primary purpose if I am threatened. So the purpose for owning the weapon is determined by what I need it for at the moment. During the hunting season it's purpose is killing deer. The rest of the year it just sits there...................ready and waiting.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

I don't know about others, but I own an "assault rifle" (Which actually isn't one but know one knows the accurate term for them), an AR-15 in order to kill anyone violating my rights, the rights of my family, the rights of my fellow citizens. In order to protect and defend myself and the state.

I also enjoy target shooting with it.

If i liked sitting in my kitchen with it and licking the buttstock it wouldn't be anyone's concern. I don't ask you what you do with your stuff.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
What's really cool is that AR15 owners don't have to present any reason for owning them to anyone. :cool:

And yet these owners do feel it necessary to tell us why they own one. I am simply asking that when they do feel that it is necessary that they be honest about it. That's it.

Does anyone really think that they will have to use a semi-auto rifle to defend their home in the near future? Really? I have never had a situation where someone even came close to violating my rights in my home. Never. I can't even think of any of my family or friends who have been in this type of situation. Perhaps I am just lucky enough to live in a nice part of the country . . . who knows.

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,568.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
and why we shouldn't tolerate anyone who would infringe it.

I love the 2nd Amendment because it is the one instrument of liberty that not only preserves American freedom, but the freedom of the entire world. No other law, no matter how comprehensive or eloquent, compares to this 'declaration of freedom in a single sentence'.

Only a government that fears it's own people seeks to disarm them. In the face of falling violent crime rates our president is considering limiting our gun rights by executive order.

He doesn't fear armed insurrection, but political consequences from the left if he doesn't placate their insistence on limiting those rights. He must 'win' this fight or be seen as a weak leader, which will surely jeopardize his other liberal programs, and his legacy.

Just as the torch of preserving freedom is passed by conservatives the torch of repression of rights is passed by the liberals. They expand the 'rights' of the 1st Amendment with one hand while at the same time picking our pocket of the 2nd with the other.

These people are tyrants (albeit often unwitting), and are the most compelling reason to reinforce and expand our 2nd Amendment rights.

"The best defense is a good offense."

I dont see how your second amendment "preserves the worlds freedom"

Its purely subjective, one could argue American firepower reducing some peoples freedom across the world.

guns dont equal Liberty, its far more multi-layered than that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet these owners do feel it necessary to tell us why they own one. I am simply asking that when they do feel that it is necessary that they be honest about it. That's it.

Does anyone really think that they will have to use a semi-auto rifle to defend their home in the near future? Really? I have never had a situation where someone even came close to violating my rights in my home. Never. I can't even think of any of my family or friends who have been in this type of situation. Perhaps I am just lucky enough to live in a nice part of the country . . . who knows.

You are projecting your experience on others. If you aren't hungry does that mean that others shouldn't eat?

And is there some purpose to your questions?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont see how your second amendment "preserves the worlds freedom"

Its purely subjective, one could argue American firepower reducing some peoples freedom across the world.

guns dont equal Liberty, its far more multi-layered than that.

How quickly we forget.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,225,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And further, that goal does not require the use of assault weapons. If you're facing a looter, a handgun would work just as well, you don't need an AK-47 to do the job.

So, once again, what does a responsible gun owner need with assault weapons?

-- A2SG, and please note that I'm not asking about all guns, just those specific types....

A semi-automatic AK is not an assault weapon. From a technical and functional standpoint, this

ak47.jpg

Is no different from this:

125489_01_ruger_mini_14_ranch_rifle_223_640.jpg

The first gets labeled as an assault weapon, the second is recognized as a hunting rifle.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
You are projecting your experience on others. If you aren't hungry does that mean that others shouldn't eat?

And is there some purpose to your questions?

How can I be projecting when I am asking if people have to fight off people with AR-15's on a regular basis? I am asking if people have different experiences than me. What percentage of AR-15 owners actually ever use it to protect themselves?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,225,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then why are people freaking out if stores are only allowed to sell the second rifle?

Why are people freaking out if they're allowed to sell both?
(see...that goes both ways)

They realize that people who know nothing about guns are making an arbitrary distinction based on how one looks. (A distinction that involves spending, yet even more, taxpayer money)

Upvote 0

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No one, not the President or anyone else, is trying to take everyone's guns away.

No one.

So knock off the paranoia.

Now, can anyone out there explain to me, in reasonable terms, why any responsible gun owner needs assault weapons?

-- A2SG, and while you're at it, what's wrong with regulations given the specific wording of the second amendment (you know the "well-regulated militia" part, the one lots of people seem to conveniently overlook)....
People need no reason it is our right to own assault weapons. Why should law abiding citizens have to explain why we execute our constitutional rights?

Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟15,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then why are people freaking out if stores are only allowed to sell the second rifle?

People are attached to "Look and Feel". And why shouldn't they point out the logical disconnect? Both of those guns perform the exact same purpose. They propel a bullet at a target.

The top one is an AK, which come in semi-automatic variants.
The bottom one is a Ruger Mini-30.

I've shot both of those style guns. I can shoot either one at the same rate. The second one (Mini-30) I will be a bit more accurate with (not sure why).

Both shoot 7.62x39, both can take high capacity magazines and both are semi-automatic. One is design looks like a military weapon, the other does not in the stock pictured.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
One is design looks like a military weapon, the other does not in the stock pictured.

I don't know, it kinda looks like a cross between an M1-Garand and an M1-Carbine to me.

There was a reason the .223 version was called the Mini-14

Also, pretty much all "hunting" rifles look like something the Kaiser's armies would have used.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟421,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My normal home defense weapon is a 9mm Ruger. Yes, that is more than enough for a single attacker, but my home was broken into once by a drug junkee who had been part of a gang, so I don't mess around. I'm an old man who doesn't get around like I once did, and I have a family besides myself to defend.

My CCW weapon is a small semi-auto. I am licensed by the Sheriff to carry it, but normally it is in my car.

My serious situation weapon that I bought for worst case scenarios, but I use it mostly for fun at the gun range. If things get out of control like they did in the LA Riots or during Hurricane Katrina, or the tornadoes of 2011 in Alabama, it becomes my primary home defense weapon with my 9mm as backup. I don't expect an "end of the world" scenario, but I've been witness to society in disaster situations and if you've been through one, you probably have at least what I own. Some people (not me) have full auto machine guns, and they are for a combination of a collectors item, fun at the range, and worst case scenarios. If the worst case ever happened, I'd hope that just the site of my weapon would deter criminals, and if that didn't work, I'd shoot over their heads or with tracer rounds to attempt to defuse them or scare them off. Taking a life is ALWAYS a last resort, when you or your family is under direct and active threat, and all other attempts to deter attackers have failed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0