Why haven't you left the church? - And why I haven't.

Nov 24, 2011
✟45,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We build community. We proclaim the good news. We teach, baptise, and nurture faith. We serve those in need. We transform injustice and pursue peace. We safeguard the integrity of the environment. We live as the church we're called to be.

Thanks for weighing in on this topic. You make some good points.

The churches I have attended don't require dressing up. That helps.

Many churches have online services for those who can't show up. But...

What do you feel you are missing if you aren't there in person?
For me nothing compares to being in the church Gods place of worship. The smells, the sounds the history, the beauty of the church's construction, seeing the priest in person, asking them.questions after, chatting with fellow worshippers etc.

it's not for everybody, not even for me as much as I exult the experience. However, when I do find the courage to attend, it is always a memorable experience. Critical really to at least attend at least once in ones life. That's just my perspective of course, each of us find the Lord our own way.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me nothing compares to being in the church Gods place of worship. The smells, the sounds the history, the beauty of the church's construction, seeing the priest in person, asking them.questions after, chatting with fellow worshippers etc.

it's not for everybody, not even for me as much as I exult the experience. However, when I do find the courage to attend, it is always a memorable experience. Critical really to at least attend at least once in ones life. That's just my perspective of course, each of us find the Lord our own way.
Thanks, good response.
What about the fellowship aspect?
Do you have Christian friends outside of church?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for mentioning John Wimber. (Vineyard) He was a great influence on my spiritual journey. I hadn't heard the story you just related. Much appreciated.

How long have you been praying for revival, or whatever?
I'm always praying that we will see more of the power of the Holy Spirit in our churches to make disciples for Christ. The only time I actually pray is when I am in a prayer time with others. The rest of time I just have fellowship with the Lord.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 84:10 Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked :amen:
A good test for me to determine whether a church is truly in the Spirit and where the people genuinely love Jesus and each other, will be when I turn up to church in my "Bench Bash" tee shirt, shorts and sandals, without a Bible under my arm, and me greeting people by saying, "Gidday! How are ya?" I would make sure that my tee shirt would be short enough so that my bum crack would be clearly seen. I will know the hypocrites when I see them turn up their noses at me and avoid talking to me.

I was once invited to a young people's dinner run by a local church group. I got my meal and started to tuck in, forgetting about waiting for grace. I realised my error and stopped eating, but the fellow beside me glared at me as if I had committed the unforgivable sin. Needless to say, I never went back to that young people's group and I never considered going to their church. It is a pity that it took just one intolerant person to put me right off the whole lot of them. I was young and shy at that time so I never took it any further. If anyone did that to me now, the pastor of the church would be getting quite a terse letter from me describing the intolerance and lack of love to a visitor as the reason why I would never attend his church, nor would I recommend anyone going there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0