Why does the priest whisper certain prayers at Mass?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: The priest whispers certain prayers during the offertory at Mass. Why is this, and how can the people participate if he does this?

— Name, location withheld

Answer: There are certain prayers that the priest is expected to recite alone and quietly. The offertory prayers you mention are among them. There are other prayers, just before holy Communion that are also part of these personal and private prayers. While your question is understandable, we do well to note that the liturgy is not just about the people in the pews and what benefits them. The priest needs to pray, too. But more importantly, the whole liturgy is directed to God, not to us and our benefit. This is why the liturgy was, for most of our history, read in Latin, and this was not considered a problem. God knows Latin, and the priest was speaking to him on our behalf. Intelligibility has its place, but is not an absolute requirement.

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The EO liturgy also has the "low voice" prayers. Often, there is a hymn being sung while the priest says these, so that no one really is aware of them. One example is during the procession, the Cherubim Hymn which can be 3-4 minutes long is sung and the priest says (just a snippet from the full prayer). During this time, the priest and altar servers are getting ready for the actual procession.

I now beseech You, Who alone are good and inclined to hear: Look down upon me, Your sinful and unprofitable servant, and cleanse my soul and heart of a wicked conscience; and enable me, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, clothed with the grace of the priesthood, to stand before Your holy Table and celebrate the Mystery of Your holy and pure Body and Your precious Blood. I come before You with my head bowed, and I implore You:

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0