Why Does Santorum Appeal More to Evangelicals Than Catholics?

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Because too many Catholics are hung up on the liberal end of politici it seems. I dont know... but i like Santorum and pray he wins... :crossrc:
And beats Obama down in the next election.

OR maybe Evangelicals really do care that we remain a Christian nation.

I think there are too many lukewarm Catholics.... or many more God fearing Evangelicals or the combo package of the two.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has more to do with religious bigotry among evangelicals who'll settle for a Catholic over a Mormon.

If Gingrich was a Baptist instead of a Catholic convert, you can bet he would burried Santorum and Romney together among evangelicals.

Also, Catholics are probably politcaly more informed than evangelicals, and knowing what they know about Santorum, would prefer Romney.

Jim

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has more to do with religious bigotry among evangelicals who'll settle for a Catholic over a Mormon.

If Gingrich was a Baptist instead of a Catholic convert, you can bet he would burried Santorum and Romney together among evangelicals.

Also, Catholics are probably politcaly more informed than evangelicals, and knowing what they know about Santorum, would prefer Romney.

Jim

Pretty much this.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Most Catholics have no interest in right-wing extremism. Oh yes, there have been the followers of Father Coughlin, the colaborators with Marshal Petain (like the conservative Archbishop of Paris), and the Falangists of General Franco. But most Catholic distain this extremism.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree Catholics are more informed, or they would not have voted Obama in in the 1st place.

Agreed. Catholics are less informed and I never seen any in real life live their faith save for Santorum. When I heard he was a Catholic I thought it was not the truth at first. I have wondered sense than if being a Catholic is really worth it all I see is liberalism and hatred of conservationism

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Catholics are less informed and I never seen any in real life live their faith save for Santorum. When I heard he was a Catholic I thought it was not the truth at first. I have wondered sense than if being a Catholic is really worth it all I see is liberalism and hatred of conservationism

Read that in the morning.

I don't know any Catholics that hate conservationism, most are indifferent to it. I am one of very few Catholic conservationists that I know, but I'm sure there are many. I don't know any Catholic liberals irl.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember when then candidate Obama made a faux pas in western Pennsylvania.

He said:
You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

I could understand that statement, because that's what a lot of Bible Belters are like. And that's what Santorum is like...

He's one of them.

Barack Obama: Bitter Pennsylvanians “Cling to Guns or Religion” « Republican Ranting

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always thought that Obama's comment about the western Pennsylvanians was somewhat sympathetic. He saw their pain and disappointment, and saw that, instead of bonding together and fighting for their human rights the way black people did, led by Martin Luther King, in the Civil Rights movement, they turned inward.

It's sort of sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0