Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all! its that ever famous, often asked questions.
Just wondered if anyone can give me an explanation. Its something that really bothers me. I suffer from depression, and i think the main reasons are down to worry/anxiety, and all the suffering that happens to people on this earth (including some personal friends of mine). I just simply cant bring myself to adopt a blassez "oh well it always happens...so never mind" attitude. i cant ignore it, and it makes me feel angry sometimes at god, to see it happening, when god could end it instantly.
so, any thoughts anyone? :)

Dragons87

The regal Oriental kind; not evil princess-napper
Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why do you suppose we don't deserve suffering? Suffering is a result of our sin. God, as Holy as He is, can reasonably disown us and leave us to suffer.

But thankfully He hasn't. He's not leaving us to suffer. We must suffer as payment for our and others' sins, but in the end, He will deliver us. Hold dear that promise, Sister.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Judy02 said:

I thin it softens hearts, to be open to God. Those who live in comfort and prosperity might be distracted by the world and its fruits, instead of the fruits of God. The poor go hungry and seek the real fruits, rather than the wordly.

It is also a means to worship and loving God, that we can go through such trials, like Job did.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First I recommend C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain for further reading as its a concise and appropriate response to the existence of evil and suffering. But, there are a couple of things you might want to consider. Firstly, we are free, moral beings and our actions can cause suffering to others and to ourselves.

We have free will because certain things are only authentic and real if they are freely chosen over less good alternatives. Love would not be real and authentic if we did not have the option not to love and God created us so that we could love each other and God. Because we have the option not to love, we have the capability to cause harm and suffering to others. Additionally, sometimes suffering can be redemptive and many times when we are following wayward paths stumbling and falling helps put us back on track. God does not just like us and is kind to us but God loves us and wants to reconcile creation to Himself but that means that we must turn from our temporary existence and accept God's love. Some would say that God uses minor sufferings to get us to turn from our sins and turn towards God. (Iraenius believed that was the point of suffering.)

I could go on as I've read a few too many responses to the PoE but look at it from a Christian perspective and what it means to be a disciple of Christ:

“Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!” (Phillipians 2:5-9)

We need to submit to God and display faith, hope, and love and accept that God's ways transcend our understanding and that although we may not understand we should have faith in God and turn to Him in times of need...

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is not the Author of Suffering and the evil we see, that is the Devil and although God allows for it to exist that does not mean that He is it's originator.

WE oftern assocaite many things to God and say to ourselves well if this and if that.... God does though have a plan .... If God did not Love us He would not have sent Christ to be a Sacrifice for ALL of mankind.

Yes we see so many things that happen today, so much that could be done away with by God instanteously, that is true, but think about his question; What if God did that everytime? What would God learn about us and what would we in turn learn about Him in reality?

You see it is through those times of suffering for many of us that we often learn in the end that God was indeed with us all the time, and that without God we would be much worse off than we ever thought we could possibly be. God is Love and most of all, God is Hope. He enables us to have the Hope that one day this will all end we will be with Him where there is no more pain and suffering ....

Rev 21:1 I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone: and the sea is now no more.
Rev 21:2 And I, John, saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men: and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people: and God himself with them shall be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more. Nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat on the throne, said: Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me: Write. For these words are most faithful and true.

This is what the Righteous of God have in store for them.

Yes God ALLOWS for things to exist now but He does not Author them that is the Devil seeking to decieve us away from God.... In reality it is with God that we draw all our strength for He has promised that through all things that He will protect us .... This does not mean that we will not be tested or that we will not have to live without trials but instead that God will always be there through those trials to make sure that we are strong enough to make it through them.

One day God will take this all away, until such time we must believe and have Faith that our Lord is always with us, through any situation, protecting us.... I know from personal experience that for someone in your situation that is not something that is so easy to see sometimes, and that it is not easy to see the forest for the trees sometimes.... That is why it is especially important for you to rely on your Faith always and your belief in God to get you through those times....

Lovingly In Christ
Debi

Upvote 0

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Judy02 said:
Just wondered if anyone can give me an explanation. Its something that really bothers me. I suffer from depression, and i think the main reasons are down to worry/anxiety, and all the suffering that happens to people on this earth (including some personal friends of mine). I just simply cant bring myself to adopt a blassez "oh well it always happens...so never mind" attitude. i cant ignore it, and it makes me feel angry sometimes at god, to see it happening, when god could end it instantly.

Isa. 48:11

For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this.
How can I let myself be defamed?
I will not yield my glory to another.

Eph. 1:29-30

29For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, 30engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

James 1:2-4

2Count it all joy, my brothers,[b] when you meet trials of various kinds, 3for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

v12 same book

12Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

To the glory of God,

Randy

Upvote 0

qh93536

Jan 3, 2006
✟980.00
Faith
Baptist
Judy02 said:

Judy, Say this prayer, mean it in your heart, and then live it. Your suffering will eventually end:

Most Heavenly Father, I give myself to you 100%, mind body and soul, for your holy use. I commit today to make you absolutely number one in my life over ALL else. I place my complete trust in you, knowing that it allows you to move in my life. I have complete faith in your desire and ability to supply my every need. Sweet Lord, I love you with a love that is true and unconditional. I will live my life with the purpose of being a blessing to you at all times. I place your needs above mine and make them mine. I commit to keeping you with me always and speaking to you often. Please renew my spirit so that I can hear your spiritual voice. Please guide me in my spiritual growth so that I can become more like you. Please fill my heart with peace and joy as I rebuke this depression in the Name of Jesus. Please heal my body and my mind in The Name of Jesus. Lord, my hearts desire is that you be my loving father and my best friend. I love you and open my heart and mind so that you can move in my life. Thank You in advance for helping me to become your loving child. I pray this in the Name of jesus, AMEN!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Judy02 said:

In very few words....

For our correction in this life so that we may be perfected for Eternity.:thumbsup:

Forgive me......:liturgy:

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Lord has placed us in an environment with a certain supply of the gifts of His grace, and we didn't earn any of them. Everything we have, and everything we are able to obtain, comes as a result of the Grace of God; we have deserved nothing. Christians suffer for many reasons,sometimes through no fault of their own. A Christian will experience a normal amount of suffering as part of human existence.

From my experiences, I have learned alot and God have pruned me so much over the years. In reality, I cannot expect to escape circumstances because they will always happen, one way or another. Without circumstances, my self-discovery will not be completed and my self-judgment will be biased and imperfect. This is why I am to work along with the Holy Spirit so that I may make amendments as the circumstances demand. By discovering who I am, I will also be finding whom I am not and whom I can be through Christ. My greatest teachers have been my circumstances because my greatest spiritual growth occurred in the most unfavorable of circumstances. When I am most aware of my weaknesses, I am more inclined to collapse into God's strength and experience His amazing grace. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9). Having faith in God allows me to go as far as I can while trusting in God's grace to overcome the difficulties I face every day. God is asking me to stay strong in faith, keep at it, to carry on, to stick with it, as I trust in HIS possibilities. In doing so God will lift me above my circumstances as He develops my character. Bad things are never good and God never wants bad things to happen, but the Bible clearly repeated reminding me that God uses trials to work for our good for His Glory. Sometimes God allows us to suffer so He can refine us. Suffering purifies us like fire refines gold (1 Pet. 1:6-7). God will ultimately work out for my good and for His Glory. The Bible and the Holy Spirit clearly taught me that God didn't merely promise me that temporal good will come out of difficult situations but did promised that whatever I do during my trials that God will be with me and I will Glorify God.

There is a every good reason for me to face circumstances and chronic pains. The reason is for me to work along with the Holy Spirit so that I can make changes in my life as the circumstances demand. That God already knows me thoroughly (Psa. 139:1-6) and He knows what is best for me. I will trust Him even though I will not always understand Him since He is God. I just need to remember of who He is that I can fully trust Him. Because I know that my suffering produces perseverance, character; and hope.

Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Deny your weakness, and you will never realize God's strength in you. (Joni Eareckson Tada)

Man, made in the image of God, has a purpose - to be in relationship to God, who is there. Man forgets his purpose and thus he forgets who he is and what life means. (Francis Schaeffer)

We never know when our disappointment will be His appointment. (Charles Swindoll)

The best prayers have often more groans than words. John Bunyan

We do not choose suffering simply because we are told to, but because the one who tells us to describes it as the path to everlasting joy. John Piper

Christianity is a battle - not a dream. Wendell Phillips

This is God's universal purpose for all Christian suffering: more contentment in God and less satisfaction in the world. John Piper

Truly it is a misery even to live upon the earth. The more spiritual a man desires to be, the more bitter does his present life become to him; because he sees more clearly and perceives more sensibly the defects of human corruption. Thomas a Kempis

Paul's sufferings complete Christ's afflictions not by adding anything to their worth, but by extending them to the people they were meant to save. John Piper

God knows our situation; He will not judge us as if we had no difficulties to overcome. What matters is the sincerity and perseverance of our will to overcome them. C.S. Lewis

"God's purpose in increasing our trials is to sensitize us to people we never would have been able to relate to otherwise." Joni Eareckson Tada

"God deliberately chooses weak, suffering and unlikely candidates to get His work done, so that in the end, the glory goes to God and not to the person." Joni Eareckson Tada

"Suffering drives us to our knees in weakness, where God wants us, so that His strength is most obvious, not ours." Joni Eareckson Tada

"God wants us to lay our burdens on Him and rest in His love. It's His responsibility to work out the purpose and plan in our hardships. Only our refusal to trust Him....can hinder His purposes in our lives." Joni Eareckson Tada

Canadian Mark Pickup (disabled with multiple sclerosis). He has said, “I have been more service to God disabled than during my able-bodied years. This didn’t happen despite my disability but because of my disability.”

Joni Tada said it beautifully:
"Sometimes God will use suffering and affliction to sandblast us to the core and get us seriously thinking about larger than life issues of heaven and hell, I just don't know that we would think about these issues were it not for an ice-cold splash of suffering waking us out of our spiritual slumber. God's purpose in redeeming us is not to make our lives happy, healthy, and free of trouble. It is not an escape from our physical pains. His purpose is to make us more like Christ. He will chose to allow spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis or blindness or stroke or Alzheimer's or whatever to not only teach us, but also our loved ones, about what it means to become more like him."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.