Why do you think atheists are not Christians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solarwave

For some it will be because they are brought up that way. For some I think it is because they don't see any evidence for God or that the evidence they do see isn't strong enough make them want to live a Christian lifestyle. Some might even see evidence for Christianity but don't follow it by that choice/desire and that choice/desire reduces the affect the evidence for God has on them.

So there isn't one reason and I wouldn't say all atheists are necessarily more rationalistic or evidentialistic than all believers. Perhaps a big difference between a well informed atheist and believer is a commitment to only objective testing by the atheist and more of an allowance for personal experience by the believer.

Theres probably alot more that can be said because it really depends on the atheist or christian.

Upvote 0

GadFly

May 11, 2008
North Eastern Kentucky
✟18,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was getting too long. Anyway GadFly, I feel I have presented my case with such accuracy further re-stating is not needed. You have let your pride get in the way and instead of admitting you are wrong you go on with usless and pathetic attempts to contort not only what I say but how I am saying it, such musings are not that of a person with a vast background in philosophy and logic, but that of a mere child playing in the dirt he does not yet understand. Excuse my pretentious nature here, but the simple fact is that I am right, this is not a matter of personal opinion and I refuse to treat it as such. You go on with your ramblings and I try to help you understand only to be met with a closed minded and a closed heart. I pray that you do learn and grow logically and spiritual. I do not mean to be pretentious but people often they are qualified to talk on subjects they are not, like law, physics, and other huge fields. These fields need VAST amounts of education and background, not summer days looking on your computer. It would be different if you were not pride-ful on this and didn't PREDICATE your ENTIRE politically view on this (I honestly think you know you are wrong on this but don't want to admit your entire view is based on a false idea). Then it would be simply misinformed person, but what has gone on is that of a child debating physics with a physicist. No matter how loud the child screams he is till wrong. :)

EDIT: As for the Jesus was a communism and would DEFINITELY in NO WAY be a republican like you seem to think.

"You cannot serve both God and money." -Matthew 6:24 and Luke 16:13

"...it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich
to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." -Matthew 19:24, Mark 10:25, Luke 18:25

"...woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort." -Luke 6:24

"Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for ones life does not consist
in the abundence of possessions." -Luke 12:15

"What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight." -Luke 16:15

"Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven." -Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21 and Matthew 19:21
You cite the correct verses but you deny their meaning. I did substantiate every thing I said and refuted your entire arguments and you have done nothing but attempt to insult me.

You to not cite one time where you should be offended by my saying one evil thing about you.But simply read your post here and you see that you only point out that I think I know so much and call me childish. I say nothing like that to you. I do point out that I have a superior premise to use in debate. You tell me what your premises are and we can discuss these. In the meantime if your are sincere about playing fair with maturity, you attack my premises and inferences that come forth. That is fairness and not the guff you are throwing at me

I have done nothing to offend you. I owe you no apology. You lack the debate skills to defend your positions or you would not have to resort to personal attacks. You can not cite one philosophical mistake I made in my metaphysical and historical presentations. You do not even attempt to disagree with me. I may not be gifted as you claim to be in philosophy but you have not shown any of your skills in refuting anything I have said.

I am satisfied that you are are upset over what I said about your argument for which you have no logical retort. You simply say I have poor logic. It might be poor logic. We will never know because you failed to test it with your superior liberal thinking. If you are so smart and experienced, why have you not defeated my ideas about God? That should be easy for you.

If I slapped your face in anyway, why did you not turn the other check instead of citing many verses of which you had no intentions of living up to yourself. I did not feel much Christian love and compassion in you attack on me. See, I still say nothing evil about you. To me the whole thing is funny and you simply lost your cool. :bow::sorry::groupray::hug: I have no ill will towards you brother. Go in peace.

Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before anything, I just want to let it be known that I did not come up with this question, it is something I saw asked on another website which I thought was a very good question.

So basically, I would like places to be switched (if you will); to ask Christians why they believe atheists or any non-Christians do not believe in Christianity, rather than asking the atheists (i.e. me) themselves.

Because they're not? Seems like an odd question. It's the same reason I'm not Zoroastrian or Epicurean. I'm just not.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

dewba

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
2 cor 4:3-4

As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him....
john 9

An atheist could be an atheist so that "the works of God might be displayed in him"
because

God our Savior, 4who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1 timothy 2:4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewba

Apr 7, 2011
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, [2] not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being [3] might boast in the presence of God.
1 cor 1:26..

Upvote 0

mulimulix

Free Thinker
Apr 20, 2010
Sydney, Australia
✟8,176.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Ears to hear and eyes to see --both are gifts from God.
Proverbs 20:12

He who has ears, let him hear.
mtt 11:15

I assume that was directed at me.

Bible quotes cannot convince me of anything other than some nice literature because I do not believe is divine or divinely inspired. This is sort of what my original question was based around; why do you think it is that atheists don't believe the Bible to be the word of god?

If you want my response to that verse, I would say there are explanations of how eyes and ears came to be.

Upvote 0

GadFly

May 11, 2008
North Eastern Kentucky
✟18,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In case you didn't see, I set up a thread in this forum for that purpose. Please refer to it.

You obviously aren't open-minded. Anyone here can see that. If someone criticises you for ANYTHING, you should take on board what they are saying and try to improve it. But apparently, you don't think you need to listen to what others are saying...

The point is that on the CF you are not suppose to criticize me personally or I you. We discuss ideas and premises. Have I not done this?

Upvote 0

GadFly

May 11, 2008
North Eastern Kentucky
✟18,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am going to answer the OP's question. There are many reasons an atheist can not be a Christian and the question is really not a very intelligent question. Why one would even ask such a question should be questioned.

1. As an atheist you select a premise that says there is no God. If you are an atheist there is no heaven, hell, afterlife, nothing. The only morals are the ones you choose, and the only power you recognize is your own. If you are interested in philosophy, there is no otology, as far as you know, you are alone. You are forced into a world of philosophical isolationism. You don't care what others say about there being a God and that stuff is foolishness to an atheist.
2. You don't find true atheist on a Christian forum because they could care less about the Bible and worship of God. Since their motive can not be to serve God, their only reason to be here is to mock God or people who believe in God. What other purpose could they have?
3. An atheist does not want to be saved. For him there is no such thing as salvation. Since he has no moral code but his own, he is free to abuse the beliefs of others. If an atheist is strong enough, no law can restrain him. Stalin, Hitler, etc. were such men. These atheists are free to abuse anybody who disagrees or opposes their will. We see that here on this thread.
4. Since an atheist does not need Christ or has no intention of being a Christian, why would they want to discuss religion with Christians? They are not doing us a favor, are they? I conclude that they are either secretly seeking God because they know there is more than their false assumptions or they are really what they say they are. If they are what they say they are, they are a real danger and threat to all theist and if they ever gain control of our lives, you bet, we know what to expect our lives will be like. Just look at the atheistic societies of this world. Which one would all you guys like to live in?
5. Atheists are enemies of God. Intelligent Christians are not going to agree with them or tolerate their foolishness. God is not blessing your fellowship with atheists and atheists do not wish you good will.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a minor clean up. If one or more of your posts are missing, they were a part of the clean up. PM me with questions.

PLEASE NOTE - If you are a non-Christian and are not the OP (original poster) in this thread, you may not post in this thread. If you have questions you want answered/discussed then please create your own thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.