Why do you believe?

controversy

Jun 5, 2006
✟15,117.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm an atheist because I simply cannot find a logical reason to believe in the existence of a supreme being. I have respect for Christian values and I think that they are noble but I do not see why such improbable beliefs are necesary to live a decent life.

The only reasons I have encountered to become a Christian are:
- It is comforting.
- Have been told it was true (most likely by an elder).
- Need to belong

I don't see any of these as valid reasons to believe simply because I believe that true belief cannot exist without evidence of that belief. I have seen no unrefutable evidence whatsoever and am hoping that this forum can change that. So, what made you believe?

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eph 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
Eph 2:9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

The above passage may not make a lot of sence to you, but faith is God is a gift. A gift you can have too if you just humble yourself to God and cease to reject Him based on your human intelligence. Faith is not a matter of things making sence, faith is taking God at His word and believing what He has said.

The main reason for faith is this, all those who fail to believe in God and in Jesus as their Savior will not see heaven. For those who do believe, we are no longer concerned about seeing heaven, we just anxiously await to see our Savior and Our God.

God loves you too. Can you give Him a chance? :)

Upvote 0

controversy

Jun 5, 2006
✟15,117.00
Faith
Atheist
That hardly seems fair. You're asking me to give God a chance when I don't even believe in the existence of such a thing. I am an atheist, meaning that I base my beliefs on observations. I don't think you understood my question. What I meant was, realistically speaking, how did you decide that there is no other possible meaning/explanation/answer of life than the princples that you believe in. You've told me that belief rests in faith, and that without faith I am hopeless, but you have not proven that faith does, in fact, get me into heaven or that heaven actually exists. Instead, I must rely on faith. The problem is that the idea of faith seems to me like a simple way to comfort oneself that they have a purpose. I could have faith in anything, even Satan, and therefore fool myself into thinking that such a character affects my daily life. I do not want my perspective on life to be through a blindfold that shields me from discomfort yet blinds me from reality.

I am very disturbed by this sentence: "Faith is not a matter of things making sence" Maybe not, but is it a matter of reality? Your idea of faith seems like "ignorance is bliss" to me.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
controversy said:
That hardly seems fair. You're asking me to give God a chance when I don't even believe in the existence of such a thing. I am an atheist, meaning that I base my beliefs on observations. I don't think you understood my question. What I meant was, realistically speaking, how did you decide that there is no other possible meaning/explanation/answer of life than the princples that you believe in. You've told me that belief rests in faith, and that without faith I am hopeless, but you have not proven that faith does, in fact, get me into heaven or that heaven actually exists. Instead, I must rely on faith. The problem is that the idea of faith seems to me like a simple way to comfort oneself that they have a purpose. I could have faith in anything, even Satan, and therefore fool myself into thinking that such a character affects my daily life. I do not want my perspective on life to be through a blindfold that shields me from discomfort yet blinds me from reality.

I am very disturbed by this sentence: "Faith is not a matter of things making sence" Maybe not, but is it a matter of reality? Your idea of faith seems like "ignorance is bliss" to me.

Hi controversy :)

No one is going to be able to prove Gods existence to you by using scientific observation. Nether can anyone prove the non-existence of God using scientific observation. Humans and all animals are limited to observing and testing things in this universe. But God who is the Creator of the universe is not of this universe. If you like, God is outside the physical universe but can interact with it.

Here is a good document on the reason why many people will not believe and also gives a study on the chances that we could have come about via chance. Of course this does not prove the existence of God but i hope it will make you think about it.

http://www.origins.org/articles/steinman_2001principle.html

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0
£

£amb

controversy said:
I'm an atheist because I simply cannot find a logical reason to believe in the existence of a supreme being. I have respect for Christian values and I think that they are noble but I do not see why such improbable beliefs are necesary to live a decent life.

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

I don't see any of these as valid reasons to believe simply because I believe that true belief cannot exist without evidence of that belief. I have seen no unrefutable evidence whatsoever and am hoping that this forum can change that. So, what made you believe?

I believe because I have seen changes in myself that were not done on my own accord. I believe because I have seen prayers answered specifically the way they were prayed for. No one can force you to believe obviously. We can't present you with evidence that you can hold in your hands so you can look at and examine for yourself. No matter how many times we are asked to "prove it" it just not good enough for that person. Not all evidence comes in a box. Being a christian isn't about getting warm, fuzzy feelings or being ignorant of things around us.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

Well, why do you ask if you are sure that you don't believe in God and don't wish to?
I used to think that all Christians were brainwashed, having been told by their parents to be good and believe in God or they would go to hell, kind of like the whole Santa thing - be good or you don't get presents.
But now I am a born again Christian.
I did not become one because someone told me to.
I did not think it would be comforting or something I wished to belong to because I assumed that anyone who would buy into the whole Christian thing must be a bit lacking in intelligence. I did not fear hell or seek for heaven because I did not believe in their existence.
So, why am I now a born-again Christian?
The answer is faith. Faith in Jesus Christ is organic union with Him through believing. Christ Himself is our faith. The Lord is real and He drew me to Himself and someone preached the gospel to me and I believed and at that time, the Holy Spirit of the Lord entered into my human spirit and became one with me and I know He is real because He lives in me. It is like I know that food is real when I eat it. If you ask me how I know that food is real and it is good, the answer is because I eat it and I know it is really food and it tastes really good. It is the same thing with faith. To explain faith to someone who does not have it is kind of like trying to explain colors to a blind person. Unless a person can see, how can they understand the concept of color? Before I had faith, before I was born-again, I did not understand it either. It sounded totally stupid to me.
I understand why you do not believe in God.
I cannot make you believe in Him.
Nothing I say can change your mind.
Only God Himself can do that.
If you are seeking the Lord, you will find Him.
If He is seeking you, you will find Him as well.
I pray that you will seek Him and find Him because He is more wonderful than you can ever imagine. The whole world is seeking love and peace and joy, and all of that is found in Him and much much more.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

I must say that I am quite puzzled by your post. You say you "simply cannot find a logical reason to believe in the existence of a supreme being." I am curious as to what you feel would constitute such a "logical reason," for there are many logical reasons to believe in a "supreme being." Thousands of books have been written on the subject, and many documentaries have been made on the subject.

If you were truly wanting reasons to believe, I would think that you would have left no stone unturned to find them, for indeed, the stakes are extremely high in this matter. Perhaps this forum could be of help to you in that regard, but it surely is not the best source for the answers you say you seek.

For the record, one of the best logical reasons to believe is the historical fact of Jesus' resurrection from the dead. The incredible excellence of design seen in all of creation is another (it would take a very long book to explain that one thing alone, and many such books have been written). Even Aristotle, who obviously was not a Christian, purely through logic came to the conclusion that there must exist some supreme primary mover that has always existed and was the force behind all that exists.

My experience over the years, in talking with thousands of people, has taught me that lack of logic and lack of proof is never the real reason someone chooses to be an atheist. I may be wrong in your case, but I strongly suspect that there is much more to your "atheism" than what you state.

If you are truly interested in answers, I can suggest one very good book among those thousands I mentioned. It is Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. It is a very good place to start, but it is by no means all there is.

I once had a friend, who like you, claimed to be an atheist. I suggested Josh McDowell's book, and he went out and bought it. He actually read it completely through three times. After that, we talked about it, and the truth came out. His real reason for being an atheist was that he lived his life in a way that he knew was incompatible with the teachings of the Bible, and therefore, he rejected God and Christianity.

After reading that book three times, though, he did finally admit to me that he reallized he could not refute what he had read. He just simply refused to believe because he did not want to change his lifestyle, which was difficult to comprehend, since he admitted to being a very unhappy man.

One other thing, you mentioned that you have read the Bible. I would highly recommend you go back and reread the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament. It gives one of the best reasons for believing in and serving God.

Upvote 0

Shoeloose

Jun 5, 2006
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

Honestly, from everything I've experienced, I don't think there is any way for someone to just up and choose to believe in Christianity. But, that is just from my experience. I've been a seeker my whole life in the spiritual side of things. The problem was, I was seeking something for myself. I was basically asking "what's in it for me"? But truth is not about what makes us happy or what feels good, it's about what's true. I too would have never chosen Christianity had God not smacked me upside the head. I would leave Christianity for a number of years on and off since becoming 'saved' (I was raised Southern Baptist) because I was relying soley on myself and my feelings. This is not a basis for faith or belief. I agree with needing evidence in order to have faith because I am that sort of person, always asking questions, but God provides ample evidence of himself to those who listen when he calls. I would say I believe because I have evidence, granted, it's subjective evidence, nothing I can -show- you. The difference is that unlike all the other religions and non-religions I've 'tried on' in the past, this God is everything I never knew I wanted. I would not have picked Christianity of my own accord, I hated it for a good deal of my life. I spent a lot of time trying on different spiritualities and every one I discarded in a few months for something new because I was bored with it or it didnt' work. But all that time Christianity keep coming back to bug me, the idea of Jesus, of a holy God. Of objective truth.. Of what Love really means. It all kept following me no matter where I went. The evidence was everywhere but I kept running from it. I didn't even want to try to understand what I had already decided for myself was wrong (based on a lot of false assumptions, at that). But God was calling me and one day I realized I had to make a choice. To try and make my own destiny and be my own god, or to trust the Living God who would actually know what he was doing ;). Looking back I realize that was all the evidence I needed that he was real. He was there despite my lack of faith, and even my hatred of all things christian. He overcame all of that.

So yeah I guess that's why I believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tomoz

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
May 18, 2006
✟8,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

Hi Controversy!

Have you seen any irrefutable evidence that God doesn't exist?
The Bible says that if you really want to know, give it an earnest crack and ask, as genuinely as you can, for God to show you - 'knock and the door will be opened to you'.
I believe that God will reveal Himself to anyone who sincerely looks for Him. So don't nessecarily take our word for it - ask God Himself!

I wish you all God's blessings on you and your search

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
controversy said:
I'm an atheist because I simply cannot find a logical reason to believe in the existence of a supreme being.
Here is one:
DNA is a complex code of massive amounts of variables that contain the blue-print for over 23,000 protein types for the human body alone.
DNA determines what kind of protein a ribosome will construct.
Proteins are made of Amino acids and these involve several carefully balanced chemicals acting in perfect quantities working together that creates an amino acid.
There are massive numbers of types of amino acids. Such complexity demands a source.

Several billion years of time for the soup may seem like enough for a simple amino acid to form. But their is a bit of a problem. There is zero evidence that a chemical soup ever existed. Let alone that it existed for millions of years to a billion years. And life showed up relatively early in earths life. So the soup, if it existed at all would of had a very short time for it to produce an amino acid.

Well lets make a leap. The soup has made an amino acid. Problem is you need more then one or two to make a protein, you need quite a few. Furthermore amino acids can easily form protein destroying goop that would destroy any protein that was formed by the good amino acids.

Lets leap and say a protein was created. Yay. One protein. Heck 20 proteins. What now? Nothing much. It isn't and can't reproduce. So they just sit there and float around... so lets leap... and you have fell into the deep abyss of blind faith.

It is so unlikely that even amino acids would be created by the right chemicals in the allotted time of the theorized and unproven soup.
Well even if you give the theory amino acids, you have quite a few to chose from. So lets assume that they were the right ones to form a protein. Lets further assume that none became destructive amino acids.
Well there are a lot of amino acids and you need a very specific set to form any protein, let alone the ones you need for life and especially to make up any cell.
So lets assume that the amino acids formed a protein.
Well what are you going to do now? You have a protein or two. Now you need a cell. But you need many specific proteins to form any cell. Heck you need hundreds if not thousands of them. And ribosomes aren't around without the cell to create them.
Even if a ribosomes was, it wouldn't be able to produce proteins without DNA, and DNA can only come from some other living thing that would create it.
So there you have it. A paradox. The device needed to create it, needs the created object to create the creating device.

And heck, by the time you have the proteins trying to become a cell you have run through assumption after assumption with no evidence and no mechanism as to how they could happen. So what credibility does that theory have? None.

On the other hand if you believe in a God, it all flows together into a perfect harmony.

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
controversy said:

As the others ad I have said, you will not find physical evidence of God. Faith is believeing in something that can not be proven, that is why it is called faith. Maybe the following will help explain?

Heb 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Heb 11:2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
Heb 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.
Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
Heb 11:9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.
Heb 11:10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
Heb 11:11 By faith Abraham, even though he was past age—and Sarah herself was barren—was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise.
Heb 11:12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.
Heb 11:13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.
Heb 11:14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.
Heb 11:15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return.
Heb 11:16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son,
Heb 11:18 even though God had said to him, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."
Heb 11:19 Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.
Heb 11:20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future.
Heb 11:21 By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.
Heb 11:22 By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions about his bones.
Heb 11:23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
Heb 11:24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.
Heb 11:25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time.
Heb 11:26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
Heb 11:27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.
Heb 11:28 By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
Heb 11:29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days.
Heb 11:31 By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.
Heb 11:32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets,
Heb 11:33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions,
Heb 11:34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies.
Heb 11:35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.
Heb 11:36 Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison.
Heb 11:37 They were stoned ; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated—
Heb 11:38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
Heb 11:39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.
Heb 11:40 God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Upvote 0

urbanlemur2005

Jun 8, 2005
Bronx, NY
✟507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many atheists state that they cannot find any tangible, physical evidence that God exists, therefore they close their minds to the very proof that He is indeed alive.

Day or night, take a look around you at the all the wonderful evidence God provides for us in the waters, the plants, the animal life and people. Look up into the heavens at night and just take in the magnificence of the billions of stars that are glistening.

People applaud others who create fantastic computer programs, superhero movies with incredible special effects, or books that change the thinking of the world but hardly anyone considers the greatest intellect Who designed and created those minds.

People ooh and ahh at the feats of athletes who compete in various sports, or who excel at physical tasks that push the human envelope for endurance but think nothing of the Creator Who gave these bodies life.

We pay good money to see events or works created by artists in specialized fields yet think nothing of the sheer excitement of seeing an aurora borealis or a summer thunderstorm.

Through the telescope, through a microscope or simply through the beauty of our own complex network of five senses, God's creative works are all around us. I find it interesting that many will believe that we came from a pool of muck, yet turn our nose at the thought that there is a caring, loving God who intricately designed each and every one of us. The physical evidence abounds everywhere you look and you will also find it in His love story for us: the Bible.

Go out some day and just observe...don't think, just watch and look. Then, that night, go out and look up at the heavens. God is there with you, watching and waiting for you to say hello. He desires to talk with you if you let Him. You may be surprised at what you find. God bless you in your search.

Upvote 0

republican

Sep 4, 2004
✟16,476.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heres one reason, A man came up to a christen who was widdling away on his knife, he asked why are you going to waiste your whole life believing in something if it is not real, and when you die if it is not real and you find out that it was not real then you waisted your life span. The man looked at the gentlemen with a smile and said well its better to be waisting time to make sure rather then dying and finding out I missed out. But brother I am in the process of finding christ to and goin to church helps out with most of your questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeepThinker

Jun 1, 2006
England
✟15,560.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

Hello, well my story is a little different, I was brought up Christian, I became an athiest for the same reason you did and turned my head to science. Then I found a wonderfull thing called Philosophy which changed everything, especially Socrates theory that nobody actually knows anything, after you can open your mind and accept this, science becomes no more vallid then any religion just because you can see it.(If this confuses you I can explain in more detail) I found that actually there being a God does make a hell of alot of sense, then comes the question of what veiw on God should you take, I stayed agnostic for a while but after I had accepted the likelyhood that there was a God I began feeling him more and more, I looked over many religions and have adapted ideas that make sense to me but finally I came to Christianity. Now if you do not take the Bible literally I think you will find that the morals and life teachings contained within make alot of sense, life aquires meaning and even if you dont belive every story (i dont) you can see messages behind them that just make life, well, worth living. I dont personally belive Christianity is the only root to God, but I know it works for me.

Upvote 0

-Frank-

I'm going to be frank with you
Jan 12, 2005
✟456.00
Faith
Christian
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

I believe first because it makes so much sense.

God must punish sin. He is holy. If we, fallen man, seek justice done on unsolved murders and rapes, how much more God? The very fact that we have a feel for justice screams for a God.

Since God is love, He has allowed for pardon by paying the penalty Himself.

And I continue to believe and follow because God gives me the earnest of His Spirit. It's like a good-faith token. He gives me His Spirit as proof that He will be faithful in what else He has said.

My life is worlds different now. :) I have a truly changed heart. Like Paul, I can say that I am the chief of sinners who has been justified (through the blood) and am being sanctified (through the life-changing influence of the Spirit) so that I may be glorified in heaven one day.
:prayer:

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
urbanlemur2005 said:
Many atheists state that they cannot find any tangible, physical evidence that God exists, therefore they close their minds to the very proof that He is indeed alive.

Day or night, take a look around you at the all the wonderful evidence God provides for us in the waters, the plants, the animal life and people. Look up into the heavens at night and just take in the magnificence of the billions of stars that are glistening.

People applaud others who create fantastic computer programs, superhero movies with incredible special effects, or books that change the thinking of the world but hardly anyone considers the greatest intellect Who designed and created those minds.

People ooh and ahh at the feats of athletes who compete in various sports, or who excel at physical tasks that push the human envelope for endurance but think nothing of the Creator Who gave these bodies life.

We pay good money to see events or works created by artists in specialized fields yet think nothing of the sheer excitement of seeing an aurora borealis or a summer thunderstorm.

Through the telescope, through a microscope or simply through the beauty of our own complex network of five senses, God's creative works are all around us. I find it interesting that many will believe that we came from a pool of muck, yet turn our nose at the thought that there is a caring, loving God who intricately designed each and every one of us. The physical evidence abounds everywhere you look and you will also find it in His love story for us: the Bible.

Go out some day and just observe...don't think, just watch and look. Then, that night, go out and look up at the heavens. God is there with you, watching and waiting for you to say hello. He desires to talk with you if you let Him. You may be surprised at what you find. God bless you in your search.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
controversy said:

- It is comforting.
- Need to belong

and yet, that seems to be enough to get people to start campaigsn against Gays, Blacks, Smokers, and anyone else that is the flavor of hate this month.

You want proof of Gods existance?

Stop looking at Churches, and Orginzations or even people.

Look at, Nothing.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0