Why Do We Not Use The Name Of God YHVH?

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said that in the first place and I was surprised nobody called you on it. "God" and "Lord" are of course names, nouns used as ("personal") identifiers.

What do you think a name is? Is it not a term by which someone or something is referred to, identified, addressed, etc.?

Names can be both personal identifiers specifically identifying a person, or used as identifiers of personal attributes, and frequently find both of those used together in scripture. YHWH, a personal identifier, is frequently coupled with Elohiym, an personal identifier of an attribute. There are many 'Elohiyms' in the bible, Moses was even identified as one (Exodus 7:1). In that case, Moses would be the name which was identifying a person and elohiym was indicating a personal attribute. Moses' name was not elohiym, Moses' name was Moses.

To simplifiy:
Moses (his personal name) was an elohiym (an identifier of a personal attribute but not Moses' personal name).
YHWH (His personal name) was an Elohiym (an identifier of a personal attribute but not YHVH's personal name.)

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is HE perhaps telling Moses: Yah, "the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (who is sending this to you), this is my name. (Or "THIS" is my name?)
In other words, one of THEE OTHER names of God is: "the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob"?
Or in shortened form (a sort of nickname?) "The God of the Hebrews."
There may be features of Hebrew grammar that would make this a very questionable interpretation - I do not know.

In each case, God is an indicator of a personal attribute. He is 'Elohiym' of your fathers, the 'Elohiym' of Abraham....ect.

There are many 'elohiyms' in scripture but only one 'Elohiym' which is coupled with YHWH, a personal name. That coupling occurs hundreds and hundreds of times in the bible as 'LORD God', which 'YHWH Elohiym'. "Lord" isn't a name, there are many in the bible, so "LORD GOD" is simply a coupling of two personal attributes. The name of God is removed in favor of using words of personal attributes.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How does this prove that God wants us to use his name? He was revealing it to Moses.
Is not the point to make that this is not His only name? It's not as though God has only ONE name, even though he said this is a forever name? "This," whatever "this" is. Whether just YHWH, or "Yahweh", or all the "God of our fathers" iteration?

Call IM IS,
I say.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is not the point to make that this is not His only name? It's not as though God has only ONE name, even though he said this is a forever name? "This," whatever "this" is. Whether just YHWH, or "Yahweh", or all the "God of our fathers" iteration?

Call IM IS,
I say.

I'm not aware of another personal name for God other than YHWH. Doesn't mean there's not and I'd be interested in looking at another personal name by which God is identified. A 'this is my name' which isn't a personal attribute identifier, but is rather a personal identifier.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm not aware of another personal name for God other than YHWH. Doesn't mean there's not and I'd be interested in looking at another personal name by which God is identified. A 'this is my name' which isn't a personal attribute identifier, but is rather a personal identifier.
What do you mean by personal name? Something like "justlookinla"?
Why isn't "God" a personal enough name? If you believe there is ONE God, one personal God, then is not "God" a unique identifier?
Are you like asking for a personal name for justlookinla and would not accept "justllkinla" as personal enough? (Perhaps your real name would be more personal? Just askin.)
I mean why is not "God" a good enough name for God? Why do you have to come up with some other name like YHWH, which seems to be actually Yahweh?
Or will ye tell me "Yahweh" is actually "YHWH"?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
In each case, God is an indicator of a personal attribute. He is 'Elohiym' of your fathers, the 'Elohiym' of Abraham....ect.

There are many 'elohiyms' in scripture but only one 'Elohiym' which is coupled with YHWH, a personal name. That coupling occurs hundreds and hundreds of times in the bible as 'LORD God', which 'YHWH Elohiym'. "Lord" isn't a name, there are many in the bible, so "LORD GOD" is simply a coupling of two personal attributes. The name of God is removed in favor of using words of personal attributes.
The name "God" is removed in favor of your personal preference, is that not it?

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by personal name? Something like "justlookinla"?

Moses is an example of a personal name, and coupling his personal name with 'elohiym', adds a personal attribute to the name.

Why isn't "God" a personal enough name? If you believe there is ONE God, one personal God, then is not "God" a unique identifier?

Because 'Elohiym' is simply indicating the personal attribute, as in the Moses example.

Are you like asking for a personal name for justlookinla and would not accept "justllkinla" as personal enough? (Perhaps your real name would be more personal? Just askin.)

Justlookin isn't my personal name. It's a nickname.

I mean why is not "God" a good enough name for God?

As indicated above, "Elohiym" isn't a name. It's never given as a name.

Why do you have to come up with some other name like YHWH, which seems to be actually Yahweh?
Or will ye tell me "Yahweh" is actually "YHWH"?

I didn't come up with the name, the bible did.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Might have been at one time.

One of the things I learned when reading the bible was how to read the energy under the words. that being said .. I don't agree that using the linguistically exact name of God needs to be made into a law, the covetous need to control the behavior of others is also a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying we can call God by only a Jewish Name?? It is the meaning of a word that gets translated from one language to another. Are we to only speak Hebrew because the bible was written in Hebrew? Moses should be called Mosheh then. And if you want to get really technical---this is the Mechanical Translation of Exodus 3:15---

3:15 and~he~will~SAY(V)[1187] { ַו ֹיא ֶּמר wai'yo'mer} YET.AGAIN[1592] { עֹוד od} Elohiym[POWER~s] { ֱאלֹ ִהים e'lo'him} TO[26] { ֶּאל el} Mosheh[PLUCKED.OUT] { ֹמ ֶּשה mo'sheh} IN.THIS.WAY[929] { ֹכה koh} you(ms)~will~SAY(V)[1187] { ֹתא ַמר to'mar} TO[26] { ֶּאל el} SON[183]~s { ְבֵני bê'ney} Yisra'el[he~will~TURN.ASIDE(V)~+~MIGHTY.ONE] { ִי ְש ָר ֵאל yis'ra'eyl} YHWH[he~will~BE(V)] { ְיהָוה YHWH} Elohiym[POWER~s] { ֱאלֵֹהי e'lo'hey} FATHER[1]~s~you(mp) { ֲא ֹב ֵתי ֶּכם a'vo'tey'khem} Elohiym[POWER~s] { ֱאלֵֹהי e'lo'hey} Avraham[FATHER~+~LIFTED] { אַ ְב ָר ָהם av'ra'ham} Elohiym[POWER~s] { ֱאלֵֹהי e'lo'hey} Yits'hhaq[he~will~LAUGH(V)] { ִי ְצ ָחק yits'hhaq} and~Elohiym[POWER~s] { ֵואלֵֹהי wey'lo'hey} Ya'aqov[he~will~RESTRAIN(V)] { ַיֲעֹקב ya'a'qov} he~did~SEND(V)[2480]~me(cs) { ְש ָל ַח ִני shê'la'hha'ni} TO[26]~you(mp) { ֲאֵליֶּכם a'ley'khem} THIS[553] { ֶּזה zeh} TITLE[2504]~me(cs) { ְש ִמי shê'mi} to~DISTANT[1645] { ְלֹעָלם lê'o'lam} and~THIS[553] { ְוֶּזה wê'zeh} MEMORY[1025]~me(cs) { ִז ְכִרי zikh'ri} to~GENERATION[466] { ְלֹדר lê'dor} GENERATION[466] { ֹדר dor}1

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elohiym is a word for God, or god...or humans. For example, Elohiym is used in reference to Moses in scripture, but also in reference to YHVH.
Elohim is a plural. Since El- is used to denote height, it can be looked at as the HIGH or ELEVATED ones. (not a denotated definition but more of a connotation) Some christian commentators say that is in reference to the Trinity, and that is probably one of the various meanings.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God isn't a name.
Do not think the concept of what constitutes a name is unchanged over the last 4000 years.

Name was used much differently in ancient Hebrew - or even in first century Greek.

Even in English we used to use the phrase "Stop in the name of the law!" That was parodied by the Supremes in their hit song "Stop! in the Name of Love." In these examples - what is the "name" being referenced?

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
"Why Do We Not Use The Name Of God YHVH?"

Because this is an English forum and we speak and write in English? Without a common language there can be no real communication. As the efforts of those trying to communicate in a language other than their own in this thread bears out.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of the things I learned when reading the bible was how to read the energy under the words. that being said .. I don't agree that using the linguistically exact name of God needs to be made into a law, the covetous need to control the behavior of others is also a sin.

God has a name for a reason though, doesn't He?

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Elohim is a plural.

Sometimes, sometimes now. For example, "elohiym" isn't plural when used on reference to Moses.

Since El- is used to denote height, it can be looked at as the HIGH or ELEVATED ones. (not a denotated definition but more of a connotation) Some christian commentators say that is in reference to the Trinity, and that is probably one of the various meanings.

I've never heard the view that El denotes height, in a scriptural sense. Interesting.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Why Do We Not Use The Name Of God YHVH?"

Because this is an English forum and we speak and write in English? Without a common language there can be no real communication. As the efforts of those trying to communicate in a language other than their own in this thread bears out.

What would be the English rendering of YHWH?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would be the English rendering of YHWH?
Actually it uses a V and not a W. There was no W letter or sound in ancient Hebrew. The proper name of the letters is Yud Hay Vav Hay.

There really is no equivalent in English. Since we do not know the correct pronunciation, a few attempts have been made - with Jehovah and Yahweh being the 2 most popular but both fail by putting non-hebraic sounds in the word.

If we HAD to pronounce Yud Hay Vav Hay, I would say start with the closest word and go from there. That would be the name Ya-hu-dah (Judah) spelled yud hay vav dalet hay. Dropping the D sound we get Ya-hoo-ah.

But that is just my guess. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually it uses a V and not a W. There was no W letter or sound in ancient Hebrew. The proper name of the letters is Yud Hay Vav Hay.

I agree. The 'W' is of English origin.

There really is no equivalent in English. Since we do not know the correct pronunciation, a few attempts have been made - with Jehovah and Yahweh being the 2 most popular but both fail by putting non-hebraic sounds in the word.

The 'Yah' part of Yahweh can be fairly certain because of the use of "Yah" in other portions of scripture. The "weh" is more in question and could be rendered with any vowel.

If we HAD to pronounce Yud Hay Vav Hay, I would say start with the closest word and go from there. That would be the name Ya-hu-dah (Judah) spelled yud hay vav dalet hay. Dropping the D sound we get Ya-hoo-ah.

Jewish speakers who do not follow the ban on pronouncing the name will usually use "Yahweh" or some close variation.

Upvote 0